Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eekcat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
For whatever reason, I have a hard time hearing (clearly) dialog sometimes, so I end up turning closed captioning on - problem is, my wife and I seem to end up "reading" the dialog, as it's typically displayed before the line is delivered. I know this is all kinda weird, but is there a way to intentionally delay closed caption display (by a second or two?), so it's there just in case I missed something?

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
3zCLTzC.png

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Unfortunately you are probably out of luck. As a closed-captioned user since the 1970, closed captions can often be a problem. Sometimes the problem is captions are too early, sometimes they are too late, and sometimes they are abbreviated, and sometimes they are just plain incorrect. I can't think of any way to either speed up or slow down the captions, unfortunately. It is especially annoying when you can have different sources of captions; TV getting captions from a computer, or a cable box or over the air. Plus there's always the case of live captions, which tend to be late often.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
For whatever reason, I have a hard time hearing (clearly) dialog sometimes, so I end up turning closed captioning on - problem is, my wife and I seem to end up "reading" the dialog, as it's typically displayed before the line is delivered. I know this is all kinda weird, but is there a way to intentionally delay closed caption display (by a second or two?), so it's there just in case I missed something?
You can do it for locally stored movies/tv shows by using a application like Subler. For streaming, you are out of luck as far as I know.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Actually what we need is better captioning. The folks that put CC together suck at it at times. The timing is off, the captions are made from scripts that are changed on set but then the dialogue is wrong. Spelling etc isn't always verified. And then that crap stays in the 'home' releases of stuff.

in addition to better quality captions we need a way to get them off the damn picture. That bugs the crap out of me. Especially when I'm watching something on my iPad. I often turn on the captions when traveling because with all the noise from the trains and planes i'm on I can't hear every well. And the words are covering up the image even though there is this dead box of black under the image. Why can't there be an option to shift the captions down to that space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.