Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Motorola has officially launched its Moto 360 smartwatch, an Android Wear device featuring a circular 1.65-inch scratch-resistant Gorilla Glass display, a leather band, "all-day" battery life, and a built-in pedometer and optical heart rate monitor. Motorola has also included wireless charging capabilities with an included dock and also states that the device is "water resistant."
moto_360_2.jpg
The Moto 360 can pair with any smartphone running Android 4.3 or higher, as users can then receive notifications about weather, flight alerts, traffic, and more through Android Wear. The device also includes built-in Google Now functionality, as users can say "Ok Google" to send texts, set reminders, see directions, and more. Existing Android apps such as Facebook Messenger and Lyft also work with Moto 360.

The launch of the Moto 360 comes less than a week before Apple's special September media event, which is rumored to feature the unveiling of its iWatch wearable device alongside the iPhone 6. According to recent reports, Apple's iWatch will pair with the iPhone and feature a flexible curved display, wireless charging, and number of advanced biometric sensors to track a range of health and fitness data.

The device is also said to come in multiple sizes and material options when it launches, and incorporate near field communications (NFC) technology for mobile payments. Apple is said to be weighing a $400 price range for the device, and may start shipping it in early 2015.

The Moto 360 will be available later today for $250 from Motorola's website, Google's Play Store and Best Buy. Motorola will also be releasing metal bands for its wearable device later this fall.

Article Link: Motorola Launches $249 Moto 360 Smartwatch Featuring Android Wear, 'All Day' Battery Life

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
45nm SoC, LCD and small 320mAh battery (guess it's Li-Po with 3.7V).

Yeah, "All-Day" battery life. If your day has 8-12 hours ....

PFKMan23

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2012
At this stage, it probably is one of the more efficient models on the market. So it's intriguing, but we;ll see what Apple has up its sleeve, though it wouldn't surprise me to see the iWatch released in 2015.

kiantech

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
Verge and WSJ both said they get half-day battery use. Maybe it's all day with limited use...?

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
I actually like it, but there's only one problem. It doesn't work with iOS.

Apple, it's your turn now.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
For sod's sake, can we have a day without somebody releasing a smartwatch?

You do know IFA is going on right now, right?

IFA is a trade show for consumer electronics, a lot of new gadgets are being announced right now and wearables is a hot new trend.

Verge and WSJ both said they get half-day battery use. Maybe it's all day with limited use...?

Didn't the moto x also have 24hr battery life, but that was including the 8hr stand by time while you slept.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
what a cheap ass looking band and i dont like the silver bezel, looks just as cheap.

isnt there a 2nd gen already in the making?

Lapidus

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
The name, the slogan, the demo. All I can see are cliché's.

Hope Apple comes with something more interesting than just the Idea of a watch receiving text messages.

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Of all the options currently available, it is one of the nicest looking smart watches. Then again, there was a day when flip phones were cool. I may be overzealous in my predictions about an iwatch, but it really needs to be revolutionary for me to consider buying a watch for $400.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
For what it does, at the size it is, it is pretty incredible!

Each to their own, personally I think this is really bad for a smart watch. I can go with charging my phone everyday but definitely not the watch. Just hopping this won't be the case with whatever wearable Apple is bringing.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Seems to be loads of smart* watches getting thrown out there before Sept. 9.

*these watches will no longer be classed as smart after September 9th ;)

Last edited:

spacemanspifff

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2010
SPACE
Nice

I'm not looking for a smartwatch. But I think this one does look great - much nicer than the other offerings so far. I think they've missed a lot of sales by not offering an iOS version though! :)

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Looks great, definitely the best looking smartwatch in the market. The problem is that they all are gimmicks so it's a no buy for me

gatortpk

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2003
Melbourne, FL
I feel bad for Motorola. While their watch does appear useful this week, come next week, it may just look behind the times or at most lackluster.

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
I really love the look, especially compared to what Samsung has brought to the table.
But it won't make me replace my Rolex anytime soon.

Dezmond

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2014
Looks wearable. Would love to see how it really looks instead of this video.
Seems to be made with After Effects, you can see some stutter which you often get with the tracker tool when they show the functions of the watch.

This link shows how it actually looks. Still good looking. Can't wait to see where it goes from here:
http://www.t3.com/reviews/moto-360-smartwatch-review

Last edited:

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
haha LOL just watched the commercial, this can't be serious! Have you seen the wrist of the dude's arm wearing this watch? The watch if reaking big compared to his size wrist, this is satire!

Chad-VI

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2014
This smartwatch looks so beautiful. If only it supported iOS devices :( the price is really low compared to the rumored $400 of the iWatch.

a.roden

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Wolverhampton GB
I like the way they've used a overlay for the screen on the video, trying to make the screen look sharper and faster than it probably is. :rolleyes:

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Love it. Of course, as most I also wish the "flat tire" wasn't there, but the thinner bezel is nice. Battery life imo should be AT LEAST 2-3 days though... Basically I need to be able to go through a weekend without worries.

Very excited to see what Apple has to offer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.