Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A number of parts from Apple's upcoming iPhone 6 models have leaked in recent months, but a new photo set from Feld & Volk [Instagram page] offers some fresh details on the new devices.

At the top of the list is the rear camera from the 5.5-inch iPhone 6. As shown in comparison photos, the module is thinner and otherwise larger than the one from the iPhone 5s, but with Apple shaving down the iPhone's thickness, previous leaks have indicated the company has needed to create a slight protrusion on the rear of the device to accommodate the camera.

iphone_6_5s_cameras.jpg
Rear cameras from 5.5-inch iPhone 6 (left) and iPhone 5s (right)
Feld & Volk says the rear camera does indeed appear to include optical image stabilization (OIS), as the camera assembly has some freedom to float within its module. Rumors have differed on whether the iPhone 6 will include OIS and if so, whether both the 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models will support it.

iphone_6_5s_cameras_side.jpg
Rear cameras from 5.5-inch iPhone 6 (left) and iPhone 5s (right)
Feld & Volk indicates the 5.5-inch camera module does not fit in the 4.7-inch rear shell the firm has on hand, suggesting the two iPhone 6 models will use different camera modules. Supply chain analysts have indeed predicted that OIS will be a differentiating factor for the larger iPhone 6 model.

iphone_6_camera_55_teardown.jpg
Inside rear camera module from 5.5-inch iPhone 6
Along with the rear camera, Feld & Volk also draws attention to several other parts, including protective mesh for the speaker and microphone holes, color-matched to the various iPhone color options.

iphone_6_mesh.jpg
Speaker and microphone mesh for iPhone 6
While the iPhone 6 power button has been seen previously, Feld & Volk has highlighted the presence of a rubber seal around it, which is a new addition for the iPhone line. The seals would help increase dust and moisture resistance for the iPhone 6.

iphone_6_power_rubber_seal.jpg
iPhone 6 power button with rubber seal
The photos are the latest in a long line of recent leaks from Feld & Volk, which has been working to acquire iPhone 6 parts in an effort to quickly release its own version of the device. The company specializes in luxury modified versions of the iPhone selling for thousands of dollars, and is planning to launch its iPhone 6 models as soon as possible after Apple's official announcement next Tuesday.

Article Link: Rear Camera of 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 With Optical Stabilization and Other Parts Shown in New Photos

westcoastin

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
Brace yourselves: the sarcastic comments about there not being a 5.5 inch iPhone are coming.

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
It has visibly more area than the 5s's rear camera.

So, larger pixels? Larger pixel density? Both? Neither?

Any leaks at all on that regard?

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
Ip68

Man if only we could get an IP68 rated iPhone 4.7", I'd be ecstatic

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
So disappointed. Now if I want the best phone Apple has to offer, I have to get a 5.5" iPhone (too big for me but I get others like it). :(

I don't mind Apple making a 5.5" iPhone along with the 4.7", but they should keep them the same spec wise.

Last edited:

TTMax

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2011
Still not believing they made the phone thinner than the damn camera module! Terrible decision if true...and these leaks usually are true this close to an event.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I guess we will see soon.

Or we won't. So far this is the only source for stuff about this 5.5 iPhone. I just have a hard time buying their information is legit when it's the only source and they have a vested interest in getting their name some free press.

Sure it is possible there is a 5.5" iPhone but I just can't get super excited that these are the parts details. It seems unlikely Apple would be shipping repair parts to anyone this early and they don't give any details about how they got parts out of the manufacturing center to back up they are the correct ones. it's equally likely they are just printing up items off a 3D printer to go with parts that are actually older pieces from current phones. who knows really

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Be very interesting if it has an IP rating.

Based on the number of claims Apple may receive against their Applecare warranty for drops in water... it may benefit their wallet to harden the iPhone against such, to reduce claims.

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Why would Apple waste resources by making parts for a device that will never see the light of day?? :D

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Is it possible that when placed on a surface that the camera will be pushed in to be flush with the rest of the phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.