Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iwatch_concept_ifoyucouldsee-250x314.jpg
Apple has extended invites for its upcoming September 9 media event to "top fashion editors and bloggers", reports Reuters. The news comes as the company is expected to unveil its first wearable device at the event, which has been frequently referred to as the iWatch.
Apple is forging closer ties to the fashion world as it plots its foray into the fertile field of wearable technology, trying to win over a critical crowd that may prove crucial to the success of consumer gadgets worn around the body.
Previous reports have suggested that the iWatch will be a "fashionable device", coming in a number of different materials and having a variety of band and face options. Other rumors have suggested that the device may also come in a number of screen sizes , and feature a curved, flexible display along with biometric sensors to track health-related metrics.

The report also states that Apple held a private, "first-of-its-kind event" last month at an Apple Store in New York to show a variety of fashion and retail apps to a group of style editors. Multiple fashion editors also told Reuters that the company has held other separate events in New York City for members of the fashion industry to review new products and meet the team behind them.

Apple has also hired a number of fashion industry experts in the past year, which include former Yves Saint Laurent CEO Paul Deneve who works on "special projects" and directly reports to CEO Tim Cook. Last October, the company also hired former Burberry CEO Angela Ahrendts, who is currently Apple's Senior Vice President of Retail and Online Stores.

While the iWatch is expected to be announced at the company's media event next week, reports have suggested that the device will not begin shipping until early next year.

Article Link: Apple Inviting 'Top Fashion Editors and Bloggers' to September 9 Media Event

Lapidus

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
Please MacRumors, spend 10 minutes on finding new and better mockups..

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Makes sense to increase the exposure of this item to those outside the normal tech related circles.

Seems Apple really are trying to make a splash with what ever they have coming.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
I guess that means the iWatch will be a nice piece of jewellery, unlike the current models on the market!

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Please MacRumors, spend 10 minutes on finding new and better mockups..

These stupid mockups are better for all of us. They lower the bar so much that when Apple unveils the real thing we will all be impressed. I don't want to see good mockups especially since their creators don't know anything about engineering so they don't have to play by the rules of Apple who must create a working product. I don't want to the comparison to make me disappointed by the real thing next Tuesday.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apparently John Siracusa and Ben Thompson have been invited as well. This ain't Katie Cotton's Apple anymore.

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
Probably not what most people on here want to hear, but I think it's cool.

Totally agree. I have a feeling that this new device will create feelings on either side. There will be no middle ground. People will either be excited or disappointed. People will either love it or hate it.

Either way it will generate hype and interest.

I'm looking forward to what ever is revealed!

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Whatever they release has to hundreds of times better than all the wearables on the market so far. Even the moto 360 looks amateurish from a design point of view. Something no one but the Casio crowd could possibly like. Apple seems to be the only ones to get it. They have been cultivating their image as the high end and the pinnacle of excellence from the beginning. This is their market to dominate if there ever was one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.