Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
I need to solicit some advice about a little domestic dilemma we have about which computer to keep.

We have a 2007 2.4GHz iMac with a 1 TB HD (7200RPM), 4GB RAM and an ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory. And we also have a late 2008 2.53GHz Macbook Pro with a 750GB HD (7200RPM), 8GB RAM and a NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT with 512MB memory.

The person using this computer does some casual and semi-professional video editing. Before investing in a proper rig for video editing, I want to be sure that this is not another passing fad (so please don't suggest a newer computer). If the Macbook Pro stays, it will primarily be used with an external monitor.

The main issue is performance. I suspect that the MBP will be the better performer, but there are other factors that may point in the other direction. Your advice please!

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
The Macbook Pro would outperform the iMac at nearly everything.

This is more or less what I thought, but I wouldn't mind a slightly more detailed answer.

My thoughts are that the additional 256MB graphics memory, 2-4GB RAM (the iMac can take up to 6GB, it currently has 4), and marginally faster CPU in the MBP might just edge the iMac, but I wouldn't expect the difference to be significantly greater. Basically, the MBP might be marginally faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.