Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
As a collector and fanatic of both wristwatches and technology, I am not all that intrigued by the prospect of an iWatch nor have any smart watches piqued my interest beyond the aesthetic design. There's one very simple reason for this: I don't want to be more connected. Please don't alert me of every email, text, ridiculous push notification. Please. I've had to set my iPhone to an almost perpetual Do Not Disturb mode since I honestly feel texts are not urgent events. Coming from someone who lives and breathes these devices, I do not want to turn into an android. As it is reminiscent of what smart watches are offering: I despise Google Glass... I do not want to be connected every waking second.

Devices such as smart watches make what should be unimportant far more pressing than they should be. Having just watched the film Disconnect, which RogerEbert.com gave a perfect score and recommended everyone watch, I genuinely fear for our future. If we need our watches alerting us to texts as if they were public service announcements, we are becoming far too addicted as a society.

Do consumers really need to look and feel trendsetting by using the same apps on a smartwatch as you would an iPhone on a bigger screen? Perhaps Apple's is so innovative that it gives purpose to the smartwatch idea, although I think it's more likely that there will only possibly be a killer feature or two.

While I certainly don't mean to discredit smart watches as they have been fairly well-designed to date and I am sure Apple's watch will most likely be a quality product, there needs to be a reason for them to exist beyond being fashion statements that replicate what our smartphones already do and exacerbate the importance of notifications.

I could certainly write an entire piece on this, but I'll leave it to that for now.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
If the "iWatch" or whatever these things are called actually could replace a phone, I would be interested. Otherwise, they're simply bluetooth devices you wear on your wrist.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I feel the same about constant connectivity, constant multitasking. One of the things i love about writing (especially, sometimes, with pen and paper) is, the absolute focus on one thing. Reading a good book, also, as opposed to whizzing through zillions of things on the internet all the time.

I can't imagine ever being tempted by a smart-watch, however fabulous the design is.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I can use a Bluetooth speaker that's in the kitchen from my iPod Nano 7th generation in my room without any issue. I can't stand carrying my phone around everywhere, and either my iPad or MacBook Pro, so I could see getting an iWatch for my text messages and phone calls. If I don't sit there and mess with it all day (I don't think I will, I don't do that with my iPhone anymore now even), I think it will help to liberate me from the phone. Lots of people will see it as a connected issue of course, but I only have text messages, calling, e-mail, and private messages on Tapatalk on my iPhone.

I eliminated all the social networking junk a few years ago for the very reason that it was unimportant.

Do consumers need it? Most of them will do us a favor by not buying one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.