Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scerby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2014
Hi, first sorry for my bad english but I need help.

I had Snow Leopard for 3 years without any problems, it was stable but some programs doesn't support it (Safari etc.) and if I compared SL with Mavericks, it didn't have good memory managment, so I decided to install Mavericks (clean install through USB flash).

But now I have some problems.
First, sometimes my MBP freezes. It is short freeze for 4-5 seconds but it makes me angry. During freezing I can move with cursor but thats all. I try SMC & PRAM reset but without success. First I thought that it is due to "only" 4gb ram, but when I opened Activity monitor there was 1gb ram free.
There is screen of activity monitor after freezing: http://imgupload.sk/viewer.php?file=q8bnz0bm876tkv0h0h1h.png

Here is also screen of Console, freezing was between 19:45-19:46, I highlight thing that is source of my problem as I suppose. http://imgupload.sk/viewer.php?file=s1xem3ngpmlvf0p7j1h2.png

Problem 2: Sometimes I have problem with 3 finger gestures. They stop work properly not only in Safari but also in other apps and I must put to sleep MBP or put display to sleep.

Thank you so much in advance for any advice/help. And again.. sorry for my english. :)

EDIT: Right now it freezes again and I am sure that this is caused by: kernel: IOHIDSystem: postEvent LLEventQueue overflow. and it freeze also after installing Combo Update 10.9.4

I have MBP 13" early 2011

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The IOHID message is related to "humans interface devices" like a mouse, KB, trackpad etc.

Do you have any USB devices attached at all? Have you installed any third party mouse or KB type drivers?

Try a safe mode boot and see if the problem persists there. A safe mode boot bypasses any login or startup items and can eliminate that as the issue.

It sounds like you may have some sort of device driver that is conflicting with Mavericks.

Scerby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2014
Hi Weaselboy, I don't have any USB devices connected to my MBP. And also I do not install any 3rd party drivers.
I will try safe mode.. or maybe should I reinstall Mavericks or wait for 10.9.5? I have 10.9.3 on my USB flash.

but thank you for your reply ;)

Here is list of all my instaled apps (except apple apps)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-07 at 17.20.58.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-07 at 17.20.58.png
    117 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi Weaselboy, I don't have any USB devices connected to my MBP. And also I do not install any 3rd party drivers.
I will try safe mode.. or maybe should I reinstall Mavericks or wait for 10.9.5? I have 10.9.3 on my USB flash.

but thank you for your reply ;)

Here is list of all my instaled apps (except apple apps)

You do have a lot of third party apps on there. I notice two AV applications? I would remove CCCleaner also. That can cause troubles.

The safe mode boot should bypass all that stuff so you can see if it helps.

Scerby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2014
I sometimes used these 2 AV apps on Snow Leopard without any problems and they are not running always, only when I open them.
CCleaner I install after the first freezing appeared to clear cache etc.

Can I use safe mode to do everyday stuff (music, web) and put MBP to sleep and wake it up like I am doing right now or it has any disadvantages?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I sometimes used these 2 AV apps on Snow Leopard without any problems and they are not running always, only when I open them.
CCleaner I install after the first freezing appeared to clear cache etc.

Can I use safe mode to do everyday stuff (music, web) and put MBP to sleep and wake it up like I am doing right now or it has any disadvantages?

You can use safe mode forever, but that is not what it is for. It is just a troubleshooting tool designed to be used temporarily. It stops all startup and login items and also clears the caches and does a disk check. It also turns off video acceleration, so you will notice screen response is a bit slower. The idea is you run a few hours using the machine in safe mode and if the problem goes away that tells you it is something you have running as a startup or login item and you need to start removing them to pin down the culprit.

Scerby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2014
I did clean install of Mavericks 10.9.3 so I hope it will help. I install same basic apps: skype, vlc etc.. and I am waiting whether it will freeze again..

but I have same bugs after clean install again..

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Have you got any new hard drives or RAM??

Third party solid state drives without the correct firmware can cause issues too have you upgraded any components on your mac.

My old 2010 macbook pro had an SSD that mavericks did not like and that was the end of my updating on that machine had to stick with mountain lion.

Scerby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2014
Samuelsan2001: no I did not make any upgrades yet, but I am planning to upgrade it later. It has stock ram and hard drives 5400rpm.

What model of SSD you have?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I have a renice ssd.

It is a great SSD and was as good as it got with sata 2 four years ago, it however needs a firmware update for mavericks that needs to be done on a windows computer it's not particularly easy to find either.

If you are looking at SSd's then the samsung EVO range and the crucial MX range are the best bang for your buck right now.

Your problem could be the start of a hard drive failure have you run the apple hardware test (or a more complete 3rd party one if you can)???

Scerby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2014
Thanks, I am thinking about Crucial SSD right now.. but I need 500gb at least, so it is not cheap :)
Yes, I did Apple Hardware Test (2x normal test and once extended test which took about 20 minutes) and it did not show any error. I checked S.M.A.R.T also and again without any problems. As I wrote in my first post, I had Snow Leopard for 3 years without any freezing, so I think that hardware is ok and Mavericks is source of my problem.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I wouldn't be surprised

If you check the Apple notice boards a lot of people with 2010 macbook pros had issues going to mavericks. Mine was all about kernel panics but you may find some answers on there....

Scerby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2014
I did clean install of Mavericks 10.9.3 and after 6 days, MBP freezes again.
I have not installed all my previous applications yet, only same basic apps. Here is list of my installed apps: vlc, mplayerX, utorrent, unarchiver, skype, XLD.

Thank you in advance for all advice/help.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks, I am thinking about Crucial SSD right now.. but I need 500gb at least, so it is not cheap :)
Yes, I did Apple Hardware Test (2x normal test and once extended test which took about 20 minutes) and it did not show any error. I checked S.M.A.R.T also and again without any problems. As I wrote in my first post, I had Snow Leopard for 3 years without any freezing, so I think that hardware is ok and Mavericks is source of my problem.

I did clean install of Mavericks 10.9.3 and after 6 days, MBP freezes again.
I have not installed all my previous applications yet, only same basic apps. Here is list of my installed apps: vlc, mplayerX, utorrent, unarchiver, skype, XLD.

Thank you in advance for all advice/help.

Just to clarify, you completely erased the disk then reinstalled Mavericks and made a new account and only installed the apps you listed, and the issue persists? Are you also saying it worked fine with no issues for six while days, then started acting up again?

One would think if there were some conflict with Mavericks it would act up all the time, not just after six days.

Scerby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2014
Weaselboy - yes, exactly. I erased disk, did clean install and after 6 days, MBP froze again for a few seconds.

Do you have any tips/advice?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Weaselboy - yes, exactly. I erased disk, did clean install and after 6 days, MBP froze again for a few seconds.

Do you have any tips/advice?

I am kind of out of ideas to try yourself. Sounds like you tested the disk and did the hardware test. If it was a Mavericks conflict, one would think it would happen right away and not six days later. It does sound like an intermittent hardware issue. Maybe take it to Apple. They have more advanced diagnostics than the AHT that might be able to pick up what is wrong.

Scerby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2014
I will do clean install 10.6.8 Snow Leopard tomorrow.
Could HDD be source of these short freezes?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I will do clean install 10.6.8 Snow Leopard tomorrow.
Could HDD be source of these short freezes?

Yes, normally that is a big sign of a hard drive dying. What is very odd though is it works for six days with no issues, then starts having problems. I would expect the trouble at day one.

Scerby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2014
I found a lot of topics which describe freezes after installing Mavericks and also some topics with same error message: kernel: IOHIDSystem: postEvent LLEventQueue overflow but without solution.

Maybe I really should install Snow Leopard and hope that freezes will disappear.
And if they persist, I will buy new hard drive.

Scerby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2014
I switched back to Snow Leopard 2 weeks ago and all freezes disappeared, so I am sure, that it was software problem and not hardware.
Right now I do not know if I should stay with SL, try 10.9.5 or wait for Yosemite.

Any advice? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.