Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Recently, a number of recent reports and rumors have suggested a variety of different resolutions for Apple's larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6. Prominent Apple blogger John Gruber speculated that the company will ship a 2208 x 1242 display at a "3x" Retina resolution for the device, while the current iOS 8 beta also indicates a preference for displaying 3x images when available.

Now, developer Steven Troughton-Smith (via 9to5Mac) has modified Apple's iOS Simulator to show what apps may look like on a 5.5-inch iPhone 6 that contains a 2208 x 1242 display, suggesting that they could use a landscape orientation to provide a more productive iPad-like experience.

st_iphone6_55_contacts-800x450.png
For example, the Calendar app would be able to display the view of an entire month similar to the iPad, while the Phone app may be able to show separate sections for contacts and single contact info.

st_iphone6_55_calendar.png
Troughton-Smith notes that this view enables more apps like Game Center to run in landscape at the given size. The developer also states that these landscape views are not possible at a resolution of 1472 x 828, which has been a suggested resolution for the 4.7-inch iPhone 6. Support for the technologies that enable this interface were also built into iOS 8 under the term "Adaptive UI."

Apple's 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 are expected to be unveiled alongside the iWatch at the company's media event this Tuesday. The larger iPhone 6 is also said to come with a number of exclusive features aside from a larger display, including optical image stabilization, a faster processor, larger storage capacity options, and more.

Article Link: iOS Simulator Shows Possibility of iPad-Like Landscape Apps on 5.5-Inch iPhone 6

MrFeezy

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2014
Cincinnati
Man, this seems almost too big and unnecessary, especially for your pocket. Seems like the size difference between this and the iPad mini are encroaching too close to each other.

Last edited:

ThunderApple

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
Personally it's too big for me to casually use as a phone. I see the appeal but I'll be upgrading to the 4.7 and finally picking up the iPad Mini when the next update hits for that.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
3x retina screen dear lord

If I tell her this, would that convince her to send me nude celeb-like photos to since they'd look better on that screen than with he naked eye? (No pun intended)

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
I would certainly like for this to be right. We practically have the whole Keynote here on MacRumors! Also, landscape apps on the 4.7" would be really nice, too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 208

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
I would really like a home screen that rotates, like the iPad. It's annoying to be using landscape in an app, hit the home button, and have all your apps lying on their side like they have nothing better to do.

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
Social backlash...

Hmm, anyone who judges people by their choice of smartphone screen size doesn't deserve my time.
Adios!

Great friend filter! :cool:

Glassed Silver:mac

I don't mean to be impertinent, but why do you always sign your posts as if you're in office? It's a forum, not a legal document :D

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
Can we please get videos to play side by side with other apps? :cool::apple:

Or better yet have two videos playing side by side so that dad can watch the game and the kids can watch cartoons! I bet nobody has thought of that brilliant idea before! And they can just share the audio from both sources!

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Ooh now this is pretty exciting if true. Having a bigger phone is nice, but having multiple panes on-screen would really set it apart and I can see it being very useful on a 5.5". Even more exciting is the prospect of running multiple apps in different panes, like a Twitter feed on one and Mail in the other.

Things like this start moving you from "a phone that can do other things" to more of a true "computer in your pocket".

Xcode on my iPhone? Yes please.

Scott38660

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
Ummm hello, this is part of iOS 8 APIs. Nothing new here...
Any developer who has paid attention to the WWDC has seen this in "View Controller Advancements in iOS 8"

EDIT: Look at iPod in iOS7 in landscape. Apple has already used Master and DetailTableViewControlers side by in Landscape on the iPhone.

Last edited:

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Ummm hello, this is part of iOS 8 APIs. Nothing new here...
Any developer who has paid attention to the WWDC has seen this in "View Controller Advancements in iOS 8"

Sure, but I don't think many people thought it would be available on iPhone, only on iPad (for example, you get accessory popover views on iPad, on iPhone you get a paged navigation for the same thing).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.