Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noelmac75

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2003
UK
What do people think of the quality of the screen on the imac compared to quality on the lcd apple studio displays, I've noticed that the pixels on the imac look a bit fuzzy and the pixels on the studio display look nice and sharp, also it looks very bright on the imac when you view it from a different angle, anyone got an opinion on this?

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
at the end of the hall
iMac lCD is pretty nice...

...but you are right to say that the free-standing LCD displays from Apple [and a few others like Formac] look better.

But, the iMac's 15" and 17" LCDs are really very nice. We have one at work here, and the only brighter screens in the office are the Lacie electronblue22 CRTs we designers use.

The LCDs work great if you are not doing super-color-critical work. Easier on the eyes and all. i say the the 17" iMac is THE DEAL at Apple right now, over all.

Also, remeber they are using the exact same display as the 17" iMac for the new 17" PowerBookG4, that says something about the quality I think.

rebscb

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2002
I've used the 17" imac for three months and am extremely impressed and pleased with the LCD screen. Great for palette work and for DVDs, too. They are very bright, too.

When my Tibook (1280X854) sits next to it, the 17" imac lcd is significantly brighter and rich. The Tibook screen is great, but the imac screen is definitely a cut above. It will be interesting to see if the 17" powerbook (on order) will be as bright at the imac given the power concerns about battery life.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
My wife's iMac is fine and I have the cinema display. As for the different angle viewing differently, welcome to LCDs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.