Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
This has got to be a FAQ but here goes.....

I want to get started using xcode to write mac applications. What's the best thing to read first? on-line is good or I could buy a book. Any pointers?

Some background: I'm a software engineer. I've been doing UNIX programming for about as long as there has been UNIX.(Still have my 1st ed. K&R book) Before that I worked on mainframe type stuff, FORTRAN, PL/I, various Assembly languages, Ada, C, C++, web related stuff. I don't need an introduction to programming but I know "zip" about Mac development tools and the available APIs.

I'd like to write something that will help with iPhoto keywords and do a kind of "batch transformation" to alow people to change "systems". Basically you'd define a bunch of rules that say "when you see meta data like THIS change it to something like THAT. The user could do some trail runs, undo them, refine the rules and then press "go" to apply the transformation rules to 100,000 or more files.

A simple example would be spelling correction or maybe "speling standarization" or maybe "SanDiago" keywords to "Sand Diego, California" or adding the "Kids" keyword to any photo that has a comment, title or roll name containing "Mary".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.