Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacKid1983

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
I recently upgraded to Comcast internet with speeds up to 105mbps.

I also just got a new macbook air that supports 802.11ac. Should I ditch my Comcast modem and get an Airport extreme that supports 802.11ac speeds? Will I notice a difference or am I wasting my money?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
If your Comcast modem is the kind that also has WiFi get a different modem..
Motorola makes a good one.

As far as 802.11ac get the new Time Capsule or Airport Extreme.

If you do a lot of wireless in your house having 802.11ac will help.

But honestly I'd wait till after tomorrows keynote just in case.

bennibeef

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2013
To be honest it only makes sense to jump onto AC wifi if you are transferring a lot of data through the network (to NAS servers, other computers in the network) and not for faster internet speeds. If the wireless access point has at least N its capable of transferring at the fastest rate for your ISP speeds, except you have lets say a 200>mbit connections

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I recently upgraded to Comcast internet with speeds up to 105mbps.

I also just got a new macbook air that supports 802.11ac. Should I ditch my Comcast modem and get an Airport extreme that supports 802.11ac speeds? Will I notice a difference or am I wasting my money?

Assuming you are getting a strong 802.11n wifi connection now, then N will easily handle the 105mbps Internet speeds you have now. The only benefit of adding AC would be large file transfers among devices inside the network. If you are not regularly moving large files around inside the network between devices, there is little benefit to updating to AC,

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Assuming you are getting a strong 802.11n wifi connection now, then N will easily handle the 105mbps Internet speeds you have now. The only benefit of adding AC would be large file transfers among devices inside the network. If you are not regularly moving large files around inside the network between devices, there is little benefit to updating to AC,
It is worth noting that I have seen on multiple occasions where Comcast wireless modem/router units cannot handle the 50 Mbps tier fully, let alone 105 Mbps. The AirPort Extreme/Motorola SurfBoard SB6121 rig at home handles the 115 Mbps+ speeds without issue. And of course... any current ASUS router will handle it fine too!

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
It is worth noting that I have seen on multiple occasions where Comcast wireless modem/router units cannot handle the 50 Mbps tier fully, let alone 105 Mbps. The AirPort Extreme/Motorola SurfBoard SB6121 rig at home handles the 115 Mbps+ speeds without issue. And of course... any current ASUS router will handle it fine too!

I use a SB 6141. It's newer and better than the 6121.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014

And I use an SB6141 on Comcast, and it's buggy and needs attention - Comcast is testing a new firmware and I hope it comes out soon - Comcast and the SB6141 are a match made in Hades. :mad: The SB6121 is a tank, and its cheaper. The SB6183 is out now, and it's newer and better than the SB6141. I'd switch but for it's for my business class account, which has only 3 approved retail modems.

OP, yes, consider getting a new modem modem/router combo. No more rental fees, and Comcast won't be using your network as a public hotspot. A wireless N router and approved modem of your choice is sufficient for your posted needs.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

The SB6141 is buggy with Comcast and Time Warner Cable so we bought a SB6121. Our SB6121 has exceeded our expectations!

And I use an SB6141 on Comcast, and it's buggy and needs attention - Comcast is testing a new firmware and I hope it comes out soon - Comcast and the SB6141 are a match made in Hades. :mad: The SB6121 is a tank, and its cheaper. The SB6183 is out now, and it's newer and better than the SB6141. I'd switch but for it's for my business class account, which has only 3 approved retail modems.

OP, yes, consider getting a new modem modem/router combo. No more rental fees, and Comcast won't be using your network as a public hotspot. A wireless N router and approved modem of your choice is sufficient for your posted needs.

We have the Netgear gateway at my school. I do not know the particular model off the top of my head but it is the standard Comcast business gateway firmware. The previous SMC gateway was a hunk of junk! We run two networks off of it in a unique config and the SMC was always having issues. Since they installed this new Netgear our problems went away. I can get you the model number if you want to know if you need a new modem for your business.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
The SB6141 is buggy with Comcast and Time Warner Cable so we bought a SB6121. Our SB6121 has exceeded our expectations!

We have the Netgear gateway at my school. I do not know the particular model off the top of my head but it is the standard Comcast business gateway firmware. The previous SMC gateway was a hunk of junk! We run two networks off of it in a unique config and the SMC was always having issues. Since they installed this new Netgear our problems went away. I can get you the model number if you want to know if you need a new modem for your business.

Gah! I really wanted to forget - forfreakinever - about my SMC. What a piece of crap that was foisted on me! Thanks for the tip on the Netgear, but I did ask for one several months ago and was told by my rep that Comcast isn't issuing them anymore - which is why I went the SB6141/Airport Extreme route. My SMC caused me so much grief that Comcast compensated me for a new SB6141 (that I bought at Best Buy) AND has waived my monthly fees forever on my account. Still, the SMC/SB6141 fiasco with Comcast has me wishing for Google Fiber to come here to Portland! Thanks for the tip, tho!

And, now that you mention it, I might just head back to Best Buy and get an SB6121.

What I'm waiting for is Comcast to push a newer FW - the .14 version that they're testing (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29437035-Speed-Speed-Issues-with-SB1641~start=30) and considering PMing Netcool (who works for Comcast) for that newer FW. I'm so tired of T3 timeouts despite having a solid signal-to-noise ratio. That Comcast is running the same FW on the 6120/6121/6141 is kind of a joke, me thinks? I had to change out an attenuator just to keep things running today. Time for a drink... :D Hey, I'm Irish. We drink. Sláinte.

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Gah! I really wanted to forget - forfreakinever - about my SMC. What a piece of crap that was foisted on me! Thanks for the tip on the Netgear, but I did ask for one several months ago and was told by my rep that Comcast isn't issuing them anymore - which is why I went the SB6141/Airport Extreme route. My SMC caused me so much grief that Comcast compensated me for a new SB6141 (that I bought at Best Buy) AND has waived my monthly fees forever on my account. Still, the SMC/SB6141 fiasco with Comcast has me wishing for Google Fiber to come here to Portland! Thanks for the tip, tho!

What I'm waiting for is Comcast to push a newer FW - the .14 version that they're testing (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29437035-Speed-Speed-Issues-with-SB1641~start=30) and considering PMing Netcool (who works for Comcast) for that newer FW. I'm so tired of T3 timeouts despite having a solid signal-to-noise ratio. That Comcast is running the same FW on the 6120/6121/6141 is kind of a joke, me thinks? I had to change out an attenuator just to keep things running today. Time for a drink... :D Hey, I'm Irish. We drink. Sláinte.

SMC is a good company but the poorly coded firmware ruins their name.

wwohl

macrumors regular
May 2, 2013
A good wireless N router will support those speeds.

I would ditch the combo modem and router that comcast provides.

Motorola modem

You can go for the Apple routers if you'd like. But I personally believe there are better routers with more features out there. Additionally, theyre typically cheaper, have better range and performance. Plus, asus and net gear have routers now that support time machine through connected hard drives.

The Apple routers are definitely pretty and easy to use in a mac environment. But testing and reviews will show they don't lead in performance. Thats obviously something you want with 100mbps internet speeds.

AC is up to you. Its gonna get cheaper and cheaper the longer its out. Id only jump for AC if you know you will be working within its fairly short range and you need the high speed transfer capabilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.