Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
I don't know where should I post this, so here I go.

I found a Motorola Moto G on eBay for 100$, and it was from Verizon. Since I didn't find another one of those unlocked for a decent price, (remember I live in Canada, so Motorola can't ship directly to me), so I wanted to buy it, considering I am going to unlock it for 20$ later. And here's the catch: Once I got it, I found out there is NO SIM SLOT inside, and after searching on the Internet, it turned out Verizon used a CDMA technology, which only used information stocked inside the phone.

This really got me mad. I was wondering: Is there ANY way I can use data from a SIM card with my phone? Or is it pretty much useless? Then, what do I do with it? :mad:

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Wow you got double boned, you can get the verizon version of Moto G all day for 50-75. The only Verizon phones that can work on other networks that are gsm are the phones with LTE

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Well, I guess I'm going to return it to the seller and just buy one from one of my phone service provider on prepaid. I hope I can just get a refund on it as soon as possible, since I sold my iPod Touch for that.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Well, I guess I'm going to return it to the seller and just buy one from one of my phone service provider on prepaid. I hope I can just get a refund on it as soon as possible, since I sold my iPod Touch for that.

That is pretty crappy to return the phone, you should have did your research. How would you like it if you were the seller?

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
That is pretty crappy to return the phone, you should have did your research. How would you like it if you were the seller?

The seller did not mention anything about the phone being compatible only with CDMA brands. All he said was "do your own research". But seriously, the way he was acting is pretty much lying to the customer and not providing the customer enough information.

That being said, I really hate those companies that offer internet only in CDMA.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
You clearly knew it was a Verizon phone since you were going to try and unlock it. How in the world was this the sellers fault?

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
You clearly knew it was a Verizon phone since you were going to try and unlock it. How in the world was this the sellers fault?

I KNEW it was a Verizon phone, but it was the seller's job to provide the customer enough information. I am selling a lot of stuff on eBay, and I always say the key information, or the info that gets confused often.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN

Unless the seller specifically mentioned "no questions asked returns", I've got to agree with this. You're the kind of buyer that screws it for the seller.:mad:

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Face palm, I will just say you should feel bad for returning it. In my opinion of course but I would never do that

MyiBill

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
I KNEW it was a Verizon phone, but it was the seller's job to provide the customer enough information. I am selling a lot of stuff on eBay, and I always say the key information, or the info that gets confused often.

The seller did provide enough info, they said it was a VERIZON phone, nothing else to be said.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
The seller did not mention anything about the phone being compatible only with CDMA brands. All he said was "do your own research". But seriously, the way he was acting is pretty much lying to the customer and not providing the customer enough information.

That being said, I really hate those companies that offer internet only in CDMA.
I hate whining buyers that expect the world to take care of them. Hey that's just me :D

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
OP is the type of person that make companies have to put those dumb warning labels on products.

images

derp

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Sorry but Verizon phones are CDMA.....you bought the wrong phone. Its not the sellers fault. It was clearly listed as a Verizon phone. I am sure if you contact the seller and explain things he might offer to refund you the price of the phone. Just contact the seller and explain things and be nice about it......
You will be on the hook for return postage as you should be......

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

No, it is your job as the purchaser to make sure that you are buying the correct phone. You didn't do that.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
The OP is from Canada, so it's fair to assume it would not even enter his mind that a phone could come without a sim slot from Verizon.

I didn't know about this until I read this thread either.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The OP is from Canada, so it's fair to assume it would not even enter his mind that a phone could come without a sim slot from Verizon.

Well I knew it and I live a lot further away from 'merica' than Canada ;)

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

But would you buy a phone without making sure it will work with your carrier or plan? The listing clearly said Verizon.....so what sim card was the OP trying to put in the Verizon phone? It was upto the OP to make sure the phone would work on his carrier and the sim he was trying to use. But the listing said Verizon..........who in good faith would not check first? If the listing says Verizon......Verizon it is.........That to me is pretty clear. It did not say unlocked for any carrier. It said Verizon....... A quick Google on a Verizon Moto G phone before buying would have prevented all this drama.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
But would you buy a phone without making sure it will work with your carrier or plan? The listing clearly said Verizon.....so what sim card was the OP trying to put in the Verizon phone? It was upto the OP to make sure the phone would work on his carrier and the sim he was trying to use. But the listing said Verizon..........who in good faith would not check first? If the listing says Verizon......Verizon it is.........That to me is pretty clear. It did not say unlocked for any carrier. It said Verizon....... A quick Google on a Verizon Moto G phone before buying would have prevented all this drama.

Hmm, that's actually a very good point.

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere

It is common sense really. Perhaps you should do some research first. :p

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Seems like you made an honest mistake.

Perhaps you could just contact the seller and politely explain that you made a mistake. Then offer to return the phone for a refund minus his shipping costs and a small "convenience fee" for him having to relist the device.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
And that is when you need to do your research, common sense people. Why would you buy a product you know nothing about? That would be like me going to a Canadian listing for some phone on a local service and me being like "derp this phone should work, let me buy it derp"

Hell no, only a dummy would be like that. How many dang cell carriers are there in the world? Does the seller really need to list if the phone will or will not work with each one? How much hand holding do people need?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.