Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaronvan

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
So the way I understand it, Facebook recently changed their algorithm so that now, if you don’t click "like" or reply to a friend often enough, then that particular friend’s posts will disappear from your feed. Apparently, Facebook wants to force click’s, or otherwise acknowledge all posts. This will effect lurkers and other people who don't feel the need to share every little moment with the public at large. Is this true and is there a workaround?

it was bad enough that FB tried to force to their messages app and are conducting psyops on unsuspecting users; now they are manipulating their users to force clicks.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
It's likely been similar to that for a while. What happens to the person who doesn't like things? It'll go off level of interaction, and the relationship they can infer i'd imagine

aaronvan

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
An easy solution is to not use Facebook.

But not nearly as satisfying as thwarting them. And let's face it (pun), some of our relatives are on FB and they're not going to switch to Google+ or anything else, so you're kind of forced into it. If you want to keep up with the nieces and nephews, that is.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Good. The friends I don't click "Like" to their posts or comment, I don't really care to see anyway. This just helps me avoid seeing people's pictures of their kids, their "Share if you l love jesus" shares, etc. Sounds awesome to me. :D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
An easy solution is to not use Facebook.

Exactly. Agreed completely.

We are agreed. Won't touch it.

Neither will I; I don't have an account, and do not really see the need for one...

People are evil. Algorithms are algorithms.

Excellent distinction. Very well said.

Also much agreed. My life is so much better not having Facebook. I speak with people all the time who tell me things about what they see and read on there and it reinforces my feeling and desire to never have an account on that site.

Very true and succinctly stated. :)

And once again, I am in full agreement with you on this. Must say that I never 'got' the idea of Facebook….

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Well, Facebook just killed themselves. Because now all of my friends will slowly disappear, and I'll be left with a blank wall. Totally what Facebook wants, right?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I use Twitter more than Facebook because of that. My local football (soccer) team posts Facebook updates, usually before kick off with the team selection, news, ticket updates etc. Sometimes these appear in my feed as highlights the following day and I don't see them when they are posted. Even though I've 'liked' them, I have no control over when I get to see them.

I only use Facebook for chat because I can use the web client or my phone. If Facebook didn't have the chat functionality, I would've left ages ago.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I don't get why I just can't see all the real wall posts from my friends in order of date posted, and none of the app bollocks crap that I have to block.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
But not nearly as satisfying as thwarting them. And let's face it (pun), some of our relatives are on FB and they're not going to switch to Google+ or anything else, so you're kind of forced into it. If you want to keep up with the nieces and nephews, that is.

You may be correct, but I have never used it. I will digress, my entire family uses it and they know I don't.

I am the last to know everything, but I deal with it.:D

dianestory2

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
I guess this is why I only see the statuses of like a dozen people out of the 300 some friends I have

evoga

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
I don't like Facebook but the Facebook paper app is excellent for reading news and checking on updates from companies instead of using regular Facebook. Plus messenger is built in so no need for a separate app.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
For myself I have a love hate relationship with Facebook. It's a very good way to stay in touch with family members you don't live close to. However I have gotten sick of some family members, so much so that I defriended them.

However if what was posted in the OP, it's absolutely stupid. FB has no business encouraging participation by threading to remove friends posts from your feed just because you don't feel like acknowledging every post. They are shooting themselves in the foot. Removing news feeds should be the individuals decision, not Big Brother's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.