Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madperson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2014
Hi, guys

So, I have a macbook pro A1286 EMC 2417 M/B: 820-2915-a.

At first one fine day the backlight of the display went off but when connected to an external display the image was ok.

I did some re-search so that maybe I can fix the backlight issue since I saw that it could be a fuse issue when I f***d it up.

From what I found https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1769101/

I concluded I had the same problem the guy in this thread had since I performed the same troubleshooting and I had the same result hence no cont on this fuse (which I have doubts it was).

to conclude the inspection I shorted this "fuse" for 1 sec with a pair of very fine tip tweezers to see if I had any backlight but disaster happened.

The result was I had no backlight and the worst part, a grey display on the external display :( but the Apple chime can be heard when booted.

Please I am at your mercy, what can I do, and where is exactly this darn fuse everyone seems to find and I cannot.....

madperson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2014
Continued...

So, I continued to perform some tests after this event and this is what I found.

After the 'no external display' incident, I disconnected the macbook display from the logic board and this happened - I have a fuzzy looking picture on my external display but randomly it goes to a white screen and back to the fuzzy image.

By fuzzy image I mean that I have a normal image but with edges of the image having a bit of noise.

I switch everything off and connected back the macbook display, turned it back on and the external display went back to a grey screen when the mac is booted.

madperson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2014
More troubleshooting

More updates (sorry for all the feeds but I am posting as I go on this issue)

The on-off situation of the display was this, the connector had some dirt on it so I cleaned it with some isopropanol and connected back in.

Also i noticed that with the lid open the external display was being used as an extension to the mac display which why it was showing the grey screen, also I confirmed this as when I closed the lid of my mac, the login display immediately went to the external monitor.

The isopropanol cleared the noise effect on the external display (which was strange since the issue was on the external image).

Also the component described as a "fuse" shown with an indication "p" on the image posted in the link in the beginning if the thread, is now a black "burnt" component after I shorted it with my tweezers, so now I definitely need to change this.

So now I have 2 new issues; the no backlight issue with the problem to identify where is the related fuse on my MoBo. and, what is the component marked "p" that I blown ?

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.