Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I don't think they have ever updated a mac at one of the iPhone keynotes. At best when the store comes back up there might be a silent upgrade.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I think the answer to the question is "waiting for Broadwell"; there was probably meant to be a Mini this year (as shown by the leak of "mid 2014" model), but with desktop Broadwell delayed until next year I doubt we'll get anything now.

It's disappointing, as products that have been updated within the last year already have received interim updates to the slightly faster Haswell processors, but it seems Apple had no real plans to update the Mac Mini to Haswell, or they would surely have released an update by now.

I expect Apple want Broadwell because it's cooler, and their aim is to do a redesign. While models that already had Haswell are easy to update to the newer Haswell processors, the Mac Mini would require more resources to provide a Haswell update to tide people over, and while I'm one of those annoyed at the delays (and most likely being forced to go Hackintosh in the next few weeks), I doubt that Apple sees the Mac Mini as enough of a priority since it's a (somewhat) budget product.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
You can toddle off down town to pick up a new Mac Mini any time you like. With the latest OS X installed, it will run all currently available software, and is good for any anticipated updates. It should see most folks right for several years.

You have several months wait before the :apple:watch is available.

Me? i might swap my early 2009 Mini's HDD out for a SSD, add another 4 GB of RAM, and update to Yosemite when it is released. It should see me right for a few more years.

I have not worn a watch for many years, and that is unlikely to change any time soon.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Since the site redesign I've been denied access to the mini page.

Damn I'm bummed there isn't an update, I mean...comeon!!

I just checked and I could get to the mini page in the store, it doesn't look like there were any silent updates, but neither is there anything to worry about.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
Tim Cook will have no choice but to focus on the Mac now. There are no other stupid projects left - they are all out of the way.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
With some website pointing that Skylake could be out fairly shortly as in 2015 then hopefully Apple don't decide to wait for Skylake instead.

Jonesythecat

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2014
This mini is becoming a joke. I need a new computer and I was resisting hoping that the mini would come out in this period but now I'm forced to go for a PC as I'm not wasting 800 euro on an outdated piece of hardware like the current mini.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Some whinging geeks around here are a joke.

This mini is becoming a joke. I need a new computer and I was resisting hoping that the mini would come out in this period but now I'm forced to go for a PC as I'm not wasting 800 euro on an outdated piece of hardware like the current mini.

You are not forced to do it, but if you feel a PC will give more bang for your buck, go for it.

Just how outdated is the current Mini compared to the alternatives?

Sure, the current Mac Mini doesn't have the latest Haswell chip. However, its only real plus is lower power consumption, which is not a biggie for a desktop. It runs all the current and anticipated OS and Apps. For most folks the current Mini is still all the computer they need, one bought today is sure to remain so for some time ahead.

Last edited:

Jonesythecat

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2014
It requires too much extra money to update it: adding ram, SSD and so on... I would have really liked a Mac mini and I kept delaying a new purchase hoping for a largely awaited update but since that is not happening I'll have to opt for a better way to invest that amount of money.

KingKen1986

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
:apple: God people, the current Mac mini is not "outdated" as far as pc's are concerned. If you look at equally priced pc's, other than the amount of ram they have they are pieces of crap. I just got my mac mini and also looked at similarly priced pc's and they are not better! They may look a little better on paper and yeah they do come with more ram but with a mac you are getting so much more and most processors in the pc's are lower end i5's or even i3's. And your also getting windows 8.1, which is complete crap. I'm an IT that works on computers day in and day out, I sleep, eat, and pee computers. If you want nothing but problems than go ahead, get windows 8.1 and a crappy plastic mini-tower pc. But if your looking to get a mac and don't already have a late 2012 mac mini, meaning you have an older one, there is no reason why you shouldn't upgrade to the late 2012 model, add some ram to it and they are extremely extremely fast computers. Yes it's surprising that there hasn't been an update yet, and as far as mac's are concerned its due for one. But the late 2012 mac mini is still a great choice, and beats any similarly priced windows pc out there. :apple:

Jonesythecat

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2014
Just beats PCs in design and compactness for that price, that's it. With the same money of a Mac mini, added ram and SSD you can buy way more than a "crappy computer" as you put it. My other options is an assembled computer which I can guarantee would cost the same and offer way more compared to the CURRENT Mac mini.

Mac mini is already a low performing machine in the Mac family (don't tell me you can do heavy video editing on it), if you even go out and buy a two years old model you must be one that expects to change his computers more often than I care to do... Or that do very little on it.

Again, if we could get a 2014 model I would be more than happy to sacrifice some little things and embrace Mac for many of the reason you listed. I'm definitely not going to waste money on a soon-to-be-updated item, presumably!

I just wanted an excuse to go Mac with a new mini and they are not giving me one. Release this mini alright! Lol

KingKen1986

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Just beats PCs in design and compactness for that price, that's it. With the same money of a Mac mini, added ram and SSD you can buy way more than a "crappy computer" as you put it. My other options is an assembled computer which I can guarantee would cost the same and offer way more compared to the CURRENT Mac mini.

Mac mini is already a low performing machine in the Mac family (don't tell me you can do heavy video editing on it), if you even go out and buy a two years old model you must be one that expects to change his computers more often than I care to do... Or that do very little on it.

Again, if we could get a 2014 model I would be more than happy to sacrifice some little things and embrace Mac for many of the reason you listed. I'm definitely not going to waste money on a soon-to-be-updated item, presumably!

I just wanted an excuse to go Mac with a new mini and they are not giving me one. Release this mini alright! Lol

Do you have a mac mini? Have you ever used one? Putting 16 gigs of ram in a mini whether you have core i5 or the quad i7 you can do anything you want to, you can do heavy photo editing, or even video editing, it might not be as fast as on a mac pro but you obviously don't realize that Apple doesn't make a slow computer. You can do much much better photo editing on a mac mini with maxed out ram than you can do on any pc that is in the same price range, WHY? Because all of the programs to do heavy photo/ video editing are only on Macs! And yes a mini will run them. Just because it won't do it at the speed of a Mac Pro doesn't mean it's not capable unless you are doing serious serious professional work. And I don't know if that last part was towards me but I have been using macs since my first mac as the e-mac....I've owned every type of mac other than a macbook air. But hey man, if you want to buy a windows computer go ahead, my hats off to you. I would never use a windows computer as my home computer because all I do all day is work on them. I don't ever have a single problem with my mac, so good luck with that.

Last edited:

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Yes Apple has dragged out the time line for a new Mac Mini line up and it pisses a lot of people off. The present Mac Mini is a nice machine for what it is and it really comes down to what you want to do with it (each model).

I use Mac Mini simply because I can get by with it. I admit I am not totally happy with it and unlike what others say, I can certainly build a relatively small PC, run OEM Win 7 Pro (classic mode and stripped) and have a far more powerful machine than the Mac Mini i7 2.6. The catch is I will be running a non-OSX machine and of course it will be a bit larger and no Thunderbolt.

I have already decided that if no new Mac Mini line up happens by March of next year, I'll most likely build myself a nice small mATX based system that can handle more RAM, Video options etc. Then again, there are some makers who already have systems built that surpass the Mini in several venues but are larger.

FYI - don't let people who work in the IT industry sway you. Find out exactly what you need a computer for and then decide if the Mini meets your needs.

Windows holds the PC hardware hostage
and
Apple hardware holds OSX hostage

Take your pick.

Jonesythecat

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2014
If Mac mini 2014 was out I would take that pick for sure. I'll just wait and hope.
I'm not swayed by "IT guys" don't worry.

To the previous user: yes of course you can video edit, but rendering times are atrocious, what are you even talking about?
For my current needs Mac mini 2012 is not a viable option.

DiscoMcDisco

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2013
London
Just weighing in here,

I have a late 2011 mac mini, with the 256 graphics card, I record and play games with zero lag, at consistent framerate generating 100GB+ files.

I can edit, process, encode, render and upload a video with no problem whatsoever, my render time is approximately double to triple my episode length in 1080p (and about 4 times in ProRes with Alpha). I don't consider that terrible or a problem. I tried the same on a pre-retina MBP and got it down to double.

The older Mac Mini's are perfectly fine. The reason I want the update is for better graphics performance overall as I'm now hitting the game wall (in some cases, Planetary Annihilation and Simcity or good examples of the wall for me).

I've not upgraded the machine in any way, no RAM, no dual SSD upgrades and it's still lovely. When a new one is announced, I'll be getting it... but you can guarantee I'll be keeping my current one as a little workhorse in the background (screen shared to it's own desktop on my new one).

Note: This is also my beta machine, so has been running the public beta for OSXY since launch and other than one or two hiccups with indexes being slow it runs like a charm.

nmodin

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
With some website pointing that Skylake could be out fairly shortly as in 2015 then hopefully Apple don't decide to wait for Skylake instead.

Skylake would last way longer though, so if the option is to get Broadwell in Q2 2015 or Skylake in lets say Q4 of 2015 I'd actually wait. Given that you get at GT4e in the Minis of course. If not... meh .. :D

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island

To the previous user: yes of course you can video edit, but rendering times are atrocious, what are you even talking about?
For my current needs Mac mini 2012 is not a viable option.

If frequent heavy duty video editing and the like is what you have in mind a Mac Mini, current or updated, is probably not the the computer for you. Consider getting a Mac Pro….. or whatever PC you think is going to do it for you.

If you occasionally do video editing, other demanding work, and you are of a patient disposition, the a Mac Mini will suffice. It will just take longer. Here is a sensible attitude.

I can edit, process, encode, render and upload a video with no problem whatsoever, my render time is approximately double to triple my episode length in 1080p (and about 4 times in ProRes with Alpha). I don't consider that terrible or a problem. I tried the same on a pre-retina MBP and got it down to double.

The older Mac Mini's are perfectly fine. The reason I want the update is for better graphics performance overall as I'm now hitting the game wall (in some cases, Planetary Annihilation and Simcity or good examples of the wall for me).

I've not upgraded the machine in any way, no RAM, no dual SSD upgrades and it's still lovely. When a new one is announced, I'll be getting it... but you can guarantee I'll be keeping my current one as a little workhorse in the background (screen shared to it's own desktop on my new one).

Jonesythecat

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2014
I do occasional heavy video editing and I'm not a patient person. I guess there is no mac for me then lol.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
The only reason I'm willing to wait a little longer is because Tuesday was an iPhone-only event, there's no way Apple was going to share that time with computers when the iPhone is such a lucrative and sought-after product.

Also, let's remember not a single word was uttered about Yosemite, let alone a launch date; to me that means there is a Mac-centric launch coming, new Macs to go with the latest version of OSX. That ought to be soon, too, but there's no guarantee.

Intel is the culprit, they screwed over all computer manufacturers with their twice-delayed Broadwell plans; new Macs this Fall mean a slight speed bump and some updated discreet GPUs at best.

If we do get a Haswell mini, it won't be amazing, but it'd be better than waiting for Broadwell - unless Apple decides to throw in a Core M chip in there, it's the only Broadwell processor currently available, even though it's intended for tablets and that strange new wave of neo-netbook devices.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
The only reason I'm willing to wait a little longer is because Tuesday was an iPhone-only event, there's no way Apple was going to share that time with computers when the iPhone is such a lucrative and sought-after product.

Also, let's remember not a single word was uttered about Yosemite, let alone a launch date; to me that means there is a Mac-centric launch coming, new Macs to go with the latest version of OSX. That ought to be soon, too, but there's no guarantee.

Intel is the culprit, they screwed over all computer manufacturers with their twice-delayed Broadwell plans; new Macs this Fall mean a slight speed bump and some updated discreet GPUs at best.

If we do get a Haswell mini, it won't be amazing, but it'd be better than waiting for Broadwell - unless Apple decides to throw in a Core M chip in there, it's the only Broadwell processor currently available, even though it's intended for tablets and that strange new wave of neo-netbook devices.

I sure hope they do not put that underpowered piece of crap in a nice new mini!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.