Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following today's announcements of the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch, Apple has removed the iPod classic from its online store. The last iPod classic was introduced in September 2009, and while a number of rumors have pointed to a discontinuation of the product, Apple still chose to sell it in silver and black color options at $249 for a number of years.

ipod_classic_roundup.jpg

Earlier this year, CEO Tim Cook was quoted as saying that the iPod was a "declining business." In May, Apple removed the sidebar link to the iPod classic in several of its online refurbished stores, leaving only the iPod nano and iPod touch.

The iPod was Apple's "halo" product for years, introducing many consumers to Apple's line of products. Since their peak in 2008 however, iPod sales have declined sharply as the iPhone and iPad have captured more of the market.

Article Link: Apple Removes iPod Classic from Online Store

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
It had a great run, but doubt it will be missed significantly.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Still using mine.

I originally bought a 128GB iPad Mini to replace the Classic but after several months of using the iPad as my in car iPod, I've gone back to using the Classic.

Nothing beats it.

truettray

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2012
USA
You will be missed.

I've been waiting for this day... guess I better go ahead and buy one! lol

Deedlez

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
UK
:(

Bye bye iPod. You'd have thought Timbo could have given it a mention; that thing started the process of making Apple cool.

That said, I never use mine any more...

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I might have to buy one for a backup. I just used my Classic this weekend and still use it routinely. This is indeed a sad day.

torturegarden

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
This is sad

This is a sad end to a mediocre Apple announcement day. I use my Classic almost daily and can't stand the music interface on Ipod touches or Iphones. The click wheel was the fastest and easiest way to browse music. I also like the larger capacity and was hoping for a larger capacity Classic with flash storage. I would pay a lot of cash for one with the same click wheel interface, at least 1TB storage, and a 24/192 capable DAC. DSD playback would be nice as well. I suppose I should look into getting an Astell & Kern. :(

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Suddenly I really want one again.

It did one thing and did it really, really well. How I wish the interface to "Music" worked more like the iPod click wheel and less like the used record store on the corner...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.