Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asharahmed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2014
This thread is for the Canadian iPhone 6 and preorders, and orders! Talk about whatever

rocketkev

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
I know the apple store is down but here are the prices to buy the phone without a contract and unlocked
iphone 6
$749 (CAD) for the 16GB model
$859 (CAD) for the 64GB model
$969 (CAD) for the 128GB model
iPhone 6 Plus
$859 (CAD) for the 16GB model
$969 (CAD) for the 64GB model
$1079 (CAD) for the 128GB model
Looks like Canadians are paying a premium compared to our American neighbours, as their pricing is as follows:

iPhone 6: $649/$749/$849
iPhone 6 Plus: $749/$849/$949

Kinda sucks but since our dollar is at .91 currently, the real prices are actually bumped up by roughly 40$ premium.

asharahmed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2014
I know the apple store is down but here are the prices to buy the phone without a contract and unlocked
iphone 6
$749 (CAD) for the 16GB model
$859 (CAD) for the 64GB model
$969 (CAD) for the 128GB model
iPhone 6 Plus
$859 (CAD) for the 16GB model
$969 (CAD) for the 64GB model
$1079 (CAD) for the 128GB model
Looks like Canadians are paying a premium compared to our American neighbours, as their pricing is as follows:

iPhone 6: $649/$749/$849
iPhone 6 Plus: $749/$849/$949

Kinda sucks but since our dollar is at .91 currently, the real prices are actually bumped up by roughly 40$ premium.

Wait, no 32GB? Wasn't the iPhone 5s at $719? Wow.

webitorgal

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
Do we know the contract prices yet? Rogers/Telus/Bell haven't posted, I don't think.

choch

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2014
Add $100 to those prices. I'd be surprised to see the 128gb iphone6+ at anything less than $599 on a contract.

Knuck

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
Why would anyone pay these crazy prices when there are better alternatives for much less.

choch

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2014
Why would anyone pay these crazy prices when there are better alternatives for much less.

What exactly are the alternatives?

1) You can buy it on a 2 year contract for about $500 off the retail price, but your plan will be super expensive to the point that you will pay much more in the end.

2) You pay more for the hardware outright, but save in the long term by keeping a grandfathered plan off contract.

asharahmed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2014

1) You can buy it on a 2 year contract for about $500 off the retail price, but your plan will be super expensive to the point that you will pay much more in the end.

2) You pay more for the hardware outright, but save in the long term by keeping a grandfathered plan off contract.

I think he means other phones.

wulfin

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2014
Calgary, AB
$40 isn't too bad.. not worth it to wait til I'm in the US to get one in the spring.

Sadly, I'm already going to be buying out my rogers contract and going back to Telus (no coverage at the cabin with Rogers even though they supposedly have LTE there..I'm lucky if I can pick up edge). So I'll probably be buying this next phone on contract and then after that start buying off-contract.

But the $300 to cancel Rogers is going to hurt.

asharahmed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2014
$40 isn't too bad.. not worth it to wait til I'm in the US to get one in the spring.

Sadly, I'm already going to be buying out my rogers contract and going back to Telus (no coverage at the cabin with Rogers even though they supposedly have LTE there..I'm lucky if I can pick up edge). So I'll probably be buying this next phone on contract and then after that start buying off-contract.

But the $300 to cancel Rogers is going to hurt.

Do you know if the unlocked version of the IP6 supports AWS 1700/2100 to work on Wind/Mobilicity?

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013

I'm not sure you pay that much more off contract in Canada. At least, with Fido, it's a 10% discount for having your own phone... that doesn't save very much at all. I'm certainly open to suggestions! I don't want to lose my 6 GB / month for $30, either.. ;)

But seriously... these prices are pretty steep. I think they bumped them up to compensate for our dollar not doing as well.

The cheapest non-16GB iPhone 6 is about $1000 after tax. :eek:

When a Nexus 5 can be had for less than half that, it's getting hard to want to spend all that extra money. Or a Lumia 830.

houssein31

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2013
Do you guys think they ship to canada as fast as they do in the US? I mean if I preorder it as soon as its available (12am), is it likely that I will receive it on launch date like someone in the US would?

jmv

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2008
US vs Canada iPhone 6

Is this a joke ? Why such a big difference between the borders ?

store.apple.com
iPhone 6 4.7-inch from $199
iPhone 6 Plus 5.5-inch from $299

store.apple.ca
iPhone 6 4.7-inch from $749
iPhone 6 Plus 5.5-inch from $859

icowboys

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Is this a joke ? Why such a big difference between the borders ?

store.apple.com
iPhone 6 4.7-inch from $199
iPhone 6 Plus 5.5-inch from $299

store.apple.ca
iPhone 6 4.7-inch from $749
iPhone 6 Plus 5.5-inch from $859

Those are contract prices (US store).

asharahmed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2014
Do you guys think they ship to canada as fast as they do in the US? I mean if I preorder it as soon as its available (12am), is it likely that I will receive it on launch date like someone in the US would?

Yes you will receive it on the 19th.

jmv

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2008
Those are contract prices (US store).

I see. Misleading starting prices since no contract prices available in Canada.
Anyone knows which Canadian carrier will provide contract prices and when ?

Ferrarienzo

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2014
My math

Hi,

I spent a whole morning just to calculate what is the better option for
1) Buy out the phone out right
2) Contract

My conclusion is I will going for subsidies if I sell my phone on Kijiji and upgrade my phone every year.

Here is my math, hope you understands my English and my explanations
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saving
Subsidies price = $239
Rogers subsidies $510 for a 2 years contract, , which is $21.25 a month.
After 1 year, my phone balance is $255

Additional cost
My corporate monthly plan is $50, I called Rogers and they said the 2 years contract for iPhone 6 is a minimum of $60, which mean I will be paying additional $10 per month, $120 per year + tax

Which mean after 1 year
I sell my iPhone 6 for $400, buy the new iPhone 7 for with subsidies $270 (with tax), pay my balance $290 (with tax), 10 dollars additional monthly fee for a year, I end up paying additional $270 + 290 + 130 - 400 = $290

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If buying the phone out right
yes, I am saving my monthly plan, for $10 a month, $120 a year, but I don't get the subsidies benefits which is $21.25 per month

The extra I paid for the phone and the fact that unlocked phone doesn't sell much higher than locked phone. I think I am willing to pay this premium for new phone every year ! Does my math makes sense ?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

asharahmed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2014
Hi,

2) Contract

My conclusion is I will going for subsidies if I sell my phone on Kijiji and upgrade my phone every year.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saving
Subsidies price = $239

Additional cost
My corporate monthly plan is $50, I called Rogers and they said the 2 years contract for iPhone 6 is a minimum of $60, which mean I will be paying additional $10 per month, $120 per year + tax

Which mean after 1 year
I sell my iPhone 6 for $400, buy the new iPhone 7 for with subsidies $270 (with tax), pay my balance $290 (with tax), 10 dollars additional monthly fee for a year, I end up paying additional $270 + 290 + 130 - 400 = $290

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
yes, I am saving my monthly plan, for $10 a month, $120 a year, but I don't get the subsidies benefits which is $21.25 per month

The extra I paid for the phone and the fact that unlocked phone doesn't sell much higher than locked phone. I think I am willing to pay this premium for new phone every year ! Does my math makes sense ?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Makes sense.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
If you can upgrade ever year and remain on a decent plan, that's the best option. You can even get your provider to unlock it for $50 after 3 months.

I have the TBay $50 plan so buying outright is the only option if I want to keep this plan (or spend an extra $30/mo? No thanks!). But the plus 64GB, that b1itch is gonna be over a grand with tax!

Hi,

2) Contract

Saving
Subsidies price = $239

Additional cost

Which mean after 1 year

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I have the TBay $50 plan so buying outright is the only option if I want to keep this plan (or spend an extra $30/mo? No thanks!). But the plus 64GB, that b1itch is gonna be over a grand with tax!

I have the TBay $50 plan as well (though Virgin) so I'll be buying outright to keep that deal. I also want the 64GB 6+ so it looks like my credit card will be hurting next week :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.