Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
I got sent this by my brother:

iphone-troll.jpg

I lol'd but it made me think, the point it makes is quite true. The iPhone 6 introduces nothing 'revolutionary', 'magical' or something which makes it stand out from it's competitors. To date, it still lacks in some areas and yet a lot of Apple users are made to feel that they're getting something truly amazing.

Yes Apple do it better and to a higher quality than their competitors but when you really look at it, they're still far behind and what we've seen from the iPhone 6 is nothing new. Apple are just playing catch-up instead of others playing catch-up with Apple. I think this has been the most disappointing iPhone yet.

What are your thoughts?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Just found out it was originally created by Ars Technica editor Ron Amadeo on Twitter, Google+

Even Vic Gundotra, former Senior Vice President of Google, Engineering commented on the image as 'Brutal': https://plus.google.com/+VicGundotra/posts

Screen_Shot_2014_09_10_at_12_17_54.png

BTW, I'm a long time Apple user, never owned an Android device for anyone who's thinking of labelling me as a 'troll' or Android fanboy.

Last edited:

GummiBjorn

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2013
We're getting a phone that doesn't lag like Android smartphones. Enough reason for me to go back to iPhone after using Android for three years now.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
We're getting a phone that doesn't lag like Android smartphones. Enough reason for me to go back to iPhone after using Android for three years now.

What high-end Android phones lag these days? With Kit-Kat, I see no real lag in the OS. Your point may have been true 2+ years ago, but really? That just sounds kinda bigoted to me.

Anyways, I was talking more about hardware innovation than the OS. But obviously the OS plays a major factor in the overall product and user experience.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
Because when Apple does it it's done right. When android does it it's half ass, useless, and doesn't work as advertised.

That's the difference. Apple gears their products towards usefulness not because it's a great gimmick.

I lol'd but it made me think, the point it makes is quite true. The iPhone 6 introduces nothing 'revolutionary', 'magical' or something which makes it stand out from it's competitors. To date, it still lacks in some areas and yet a lot of Apple users are made to feel that they're getting something truly amazing.

Yes Apple do it better and to a higher quality than their competitors but when you really look at it, they're still far behind and what we've seen from the iPhone 6 is nothing new. Apple are just playing catch-up instead of others playing catch-up with Apple. I think this has been the most disappointing iPhone yet.

What are your thoughts?

GummiBjorn

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2013
What high-end Android phones lag these days? With Kit-Kat, I see no real lag in the OS. Your point may have been true 2+ years ago, but really? That just sounds kinda bigoted to me.

Anyways, I was talking more about hardware innovation than the OS. But obviously the OS plays a major factor in the overall product and user experience.

I've used Note 2, Note 3, Tab Pro/S, Nexus 5, Galaxy S5, LG G3... you name it... they're laggy. If you don't perceive them as laggy.. good for you, we have different standards and use smartphones differently. Personally I'm tired of a slow phone. I'd gladly take speed over some of the great functionalities of the Android OS.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Oh, another thread where people go 'lol welcome to two years ago' as though the only thing that matters is that you have new specs the instant they are created, rather than usability, sleekness and seamless behaviour...

I've used Android products and I've used iOS. I will take user experience and ease of use over top of the line specs any day.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
difference is they had the features without the ability to use them as easily as apple makes them. each time apple "copies" a feature, it is at least done right the first time, rather than tweaked over 2-3 years until they get it right.

PVisitors

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
I'm not quite sure what the fascination is with spec warring like this. Anybody with a decent understanding would know about the two chip architectures and the differences between the two operating systems.

Apple have always had great chip designs which perform as well as the Android counterparts. This is in addition to iOS being closer integrated within hardware. This isn't the early noughties anymore where hardware is won on a spreadsheet of numbers.

It's an old article (about the iPhone 5 in 2012), but if you look at its performance and then compared it on a sheet of the Android counterparts no doubt it's clock speed or cores were vastly below the average android phone.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6324/the-iphone-5-performance-preview

I find it odd that some compsci graduates want to laugh at Apple's numbers on a simple blank sheet when they come toe to toe with Android performances which are running higher clockspeed and cores with additional memory. I personally find it more interesting to read about low power consumption with as much as performance as possible from a phone by virtue of great chip architecture and software integration. Honestly, any one who claims that iPhones from a hardware and technology point of view are lacklustre or behind the times is a moron.

Going 'herp derp lololol so bad' should be reserved at the [few] Android phones which advertise octacores and 3gb ram yet are still laggy doing the most mundane tasks.

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008

Honestly, what major hardware innovations have there been since Retina displays? I can only think of Fingerprint readers and NFC, but neither one really enhances or changes the way in which I use my phone.

Just because another company made a 4.7" phone 2 years ago doesn't mean that Apple is behind technology wise. Apple had the capability to make a 4.7" phone even as far back as 2007. They just didn't want to.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand

What are your thoughts?
Where the hell did Apple call any of their new products revolutionary.

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
difference is they had the features without the ability to use them as easily as apple makes them. each time apple "copies" a feature, it is at least done right the first time, rather than tweaked over 2-3 years until they get it right.

Pretty good example is fingerprint readers. They've been around on business laptops for over a decade. Yet almost nobody ever bothered to use them because they were more trouble than they were worth

CMan0928

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2014
Boston
Are we all just suckers?

Seriously. I had seen this posted elsewhere online and after another poster here just mentioned it also, I think it bears some consideration. They took away the 32GB option for obvious reasons (to make more money) and once again, there are no real innovations on the iPhone 6 like we saw when the company was run under Jobs. Are you getting tired of this song and dance? Are we just sticking with Apple because we refuse to admit things aren't what they were 5 or 6 years ago?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410297580.048642.jpg

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Pretty good example is fingerprint readers. They've been around on business laptops for over a decade. Yet almost nobody ever bothered to use them because they were more trouble than they were worth

And similarly, NFC has been available in Android devices for years now but the ability to widely use them to make payments has never come to fruition. It's taking Apple's muscle to push it into the mainstream.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Seriously. I had seen this posted elsewhere online and after another poster here just mentioned it also, I think it bears some consideration. They took away the 32GB option for obvious reasons to make more money, and once again, there are no real innovations on the iPhone 6 like we saw when the company was run under Jobs. Are you getting tired of this song and dance? Are we just sticking with Apple because we refuse to admit things aren't what they were 5 or 6 years ago?

View attachment 489647

Depends.

Do you buy iPhones 'just because'? Do you give serious consideration to other models? Do you have genuine reasons to prefer the iOS UI and integration with other Apple products? Can you list numerous things that you prefer about Apple phones? Can you list numerous things that you dislike about Android phones?

All of these are important questions. If you answer 'yes' to the first one and 'no' to the rest then a person might be selling themselves short and not really considering the market.

But as someone who says 'no' to the first and 'yes' to the others, no, I don't feel like a sucker. I don't buy iPhones because I'll buy anything Apple produces - I have no intention on buying an Apple watch - I buy them because I've used Android and I prefer iOS. *If* Android had specs that I absolutely needed and wanted to switch for, I would do it - I almost did it with the HTC One.

mikeydooodie

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
no. we just want a phone that works, and works right with no lag. i switched to a GS4 last year before the 5s was announced bc i was pissed about screen size and hearing the 5s wasn't going bigger i got a galaxy s4 bc i wanted a bigger screen. 2 weeks later i returned it and got an htc one bc android on samsung was horrible. now don't get me wrong the htc one was great, htc's take on android i think is the best I've seen and i loved it but i felt like android takes too many steps to do something like you have to press 6 buttons before u can make a call. apps look so much better on iOS devices and i didn't like the way android uses mms for group chats and the pictures don't automatically load, you can to click it in the message for it to open. little things that made my life harder but if i came up only using android maybe it wouldn't bother me but ps i went back to a 5s and was clamoring for a bigger screen phone and now I'm thinking after getting a 5.5 i might not have to upgrade for a while bc theres nothing more honestly i need out of my phone

roxics

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
If you want raw specs, Android is where it's at. Apple has always been about usability. Taking those raw specs and making them easy or everyone, not just gadget geeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.