Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Just like last year, this is one big dilemma.

Are the "contract-free" iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus on T-Mobile actually unlocked?

I want to pre-order one the minute it becomes available, but I want an unlocked model.

note235

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Source?

I thought it was locked to T-Mobile for a minium 30 days or something.

I have AT&T and I just wanted to outright buy my phone without contract, and I just wanna make sure I can somehow do this for launch day.

I have tmobile and bought a mix of locked / no contract (family of 5).

The ones you lease through EIP have a min. amount of days before you can request an unlock. The ones bought full price work the prepaid att (travelled with one) straight away.

wildonrio

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2008
Just like last year, this is one big dilemma.

Are the "contract-free" iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus on T-Mobile actually unlocked?

I want to pre-order one the minute it becomes available, but I want an unlocked model.

Doubt it. Get the Verizon version as it will work on T-Mobile and AT&T too.

note235

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
I've done this for multiple years. The no contract is unlocked. Just restore it WITHOUT putting a sim inside.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
If you buy contract free from Apple it will be unlocked, if you do the same from T-Mobile it will be locked.

ronm99

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
there's no "contract-free" Verizon version on Apple's website. Only T-Mobile is listed in full price.

I think that if you are not eligible for an upgrade, you can buy on the Apple website and it will charge you full price and not change your contract.

If you are not under contract, and don't want to start a new one, you can chose to do so from Verizon's website.

(Of course iPhone 6 pre-orders are not available on Verizon yet, but you can do this for other phones so I'm sure you will be able to do for the iPhone 6 as well.)

IBJanky

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
It says UNLOCKED on the Apple website:

The prices on the bottom are for the contract-free/unlocked T-mobile phones.

I'm pre-ordering one once available. Just have to decide between the 6 or the 6+ :D

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Maybe I'm being picky, but just because they list the price as "Unlocked" doesn't mean the TMo one actually is unlocked.

Oh dear, now you got me worried :p

I don't know, but in Apple's website, T-Mobile is listed as "contract-free" and it's the same price as "unlocked"

If someone who bought a T-Mobile 5s last year when it launch could chime in, that would be really helpful!

fredrikb

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
Cryptic answer as always... I tried to phrase the questions so there was no way to reply without actually answering what I wanted to know.

vo73uq.jpg

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Oh dear, now you got me worried :p

I don't know, but in Apple's website, T-Mobile is listed as "contract-free" and it's the same price as "unlocked"

If someone who bought a T-Mobile 5s last year when it launch could chime in, that would be really helpful!

The TMO contract free 5S from Apple was unlocked.

bcooln

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Florida
Do you have to be tmobile customer to be able purchase the full price iphone in pre-order or at store? Because i have att

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.