Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside the Apple Watch and iPhone 6, Apple today unveiled Apple Pay, its mobile payments initiative that allows users to pay for items either by waving their iPhone or Apple Watch at a checkout counter or by using Touch ID after clicking the Apple Pay button in an app like Uber. Following that event, Apple invited members of the press to try out the new payment service with the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

According to The Verge, the system worked "remarkably smooth" and was the "smoothest payment system" they've seen. They note that Touch ID adds a "real sense of security" and that the entire process is cohesive. However, they do wonder whether it'll work the same in the opening months of the service when retailers are adjusting to the process and the software is in early days.

The phone was loaded up with a handful of credit cards, and holding the top of the phone about an inch from the card reader with my thumb on the TouchID home button triggered a payment from the default card in about five to 10 seconds. If you want to use a different card, just leave your finger off the home button and you'll see a Passbook-style card stack at the bottom of the screen, which you can tap on to bring up the full list and pick the card you want. Then you just put your finger on the reader and you're good to go.
Slashgear agrees that the process is "pretty darn easy", noting that using the iPhone to pay for something is far more of a swift experience than pulling out a credit card, swiping it, and typing in a pin or signing a receipt. Users can add credit cards to Apple Pay by taking a photo of their card.
applepay1.png
Setup involves either granting Apple Pay access to whatever existing credit card you have on file with iTunes or adding a second card: you can do that by taking a photo of the card itself. We've seen the same system used in Uber's app, among others, and generally it does a solid job of recognizing characters.
In an interview with ABC's David Muir, Tim Cook commented that Apple Pay is "incredibly safe" and that Apple is setting a high bar with Apple Pay. Cook went on to say that "it's the most secure thing out there" when told by Muir that some people's confidence in the company's security might be shaken after celebrities iCloud accounts were hacked.

Muir also asked Cook whether he thought Apple killed the credit card with the announcement of Apple Pay. Smiling, Cook replied that Apple "stuck a dagger in it". The Apple CEO finished his interview by noting that components from either the iPhone 6 or Apple Watch were built in 22 of the 50 states in America.

Apple Pay will roll out to 222,000 retail locations across the country. The service will launch next month as a part of iOS 8.

Article Link: Hands-On First Impressions of Apple's New Payment Initiative, Apple Pay

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I'm sure Jennifer Lawrence can't wait to get her credit card info into iCloud :p

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I suspect Apple is going to make more money with this than they make on the iPhone 6.

I know that sounds crazy but think about the timetables. iPhone 6 is going to sell like crazy. I expect HUGE revenues- best ever for an iPhone. But, it won't be sold anymore by the time an iPhone 7s or so arrives.

This Applepay is going to be making Apple money for the next decade or two. And, if they are going to get a little piece of every transaction (as I suspect), this will become a monster (revenue source) for Apple.

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Alongside the Apple Watch and iPhone 6, Apple today unveiled Apple Pay, its mobile payments initiative that allows users to pay for items either by waving their iPhone or Apple Watch at a checkout counter or by using Touch ID after clicking the Apple Pay button in an app like Uber. Following that event, Apple invited members of the press to try out the new payment service with the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

According to The Verge, the system worked "remarkably smooth" and was the "smoothest payment system" they've seen. They note that Touch ID adds a "real sense of security" and that the entire process is cohesive. However, they do wonder whether it'll work the same in the opening months of the service when retailers are adjusting to the process and the software is in early days.

YouTube: video
Slashgear agrees that the process is "pretty darn easy", noting that using the iPhone to pay for something is far more of a swift experience than pulling out a credit card, swiping it, and typing in a pin or signing a receipt.*Users can add credit cards to Apple Pay by taking a photo of their card.
In an interview with ABC's David Muir, Tim Cook commented that Apple Pay is "incredibly safe" and that Apple is setting a high bar with Apple Pay. Cook went on to say that "it's the most secure thing out there" when told by Muir that some people's confidence in the company's security might be shaken after celebrities iCloud accounts were hacked.

Muir also asked Cook whether he thought Apple killed the credit card with the announcement of Apple Pay. Smiling, Cook replied that Apple "stuck a dagger in it". The Apple CEO finished his interview by noting that components from either the iPhone 6 or Apple Watch were built in 22 of the 50 states in America.

Apple Pay will roll out to 222,000 retail locations across the country. The service will launch next month as a part of iOS 8.

Article Link: Hands-On First Impressions of Apple's New Payment Initiative, Apple Pay

I am disappointed that Apple went the NFC route, they have a much better and more interactive and engaging experience with iBeacon. NFC requires a very close proximity to the POS terminal, while iBeacon is very secure, and can be used within farther distances. iBeacon also supports push notifications.

pacfolly

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2010
Although Apple Pay will be convenient if it becomes accepted everywhere, I don't want to use it if it means Apple earns money off every transaction I make just for allowing me to pay with my phone or watch.

Yes, if you're really against interchange fees you should pay with cash but the convenience of Apple Pay is not worth helping Apple create another revenue stream.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
the implementation is revolutionary

how so? I would avoid using it until Apple proven their security... with recent iCloud hack... I trust Apple even less... especially with all these private info...

P.S. this is just other thing (along with the watch) that Apple is trying to push iPhone 6 sale... There is absolutely nothing so special about iPhone 6... nothing

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
This along with the :apple:watch is what will make the difference between success and failure. I know people keep saying "Android has had NFC for years" but this isn't about NFC. This is about an entire ecosystem centered around efficient payments. Once the sdk is out, I think it will be huge and may promote watch sales too.

Here is what I see - If you watch the typical user at say Starbucks, they are on their phone. Why leave your email (for ex) to switch and pay with the app? Just flash the watch!

I am sure others with much more imagination can find better uses for the payment system and the watch sdk.

JimmyTW87

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2013
I like Tim Cook, i've been pondering him for a while. Aside from the fact he isn't, and no one else is either, Steve Jobs, he seems like the very safest and best person to lead Apple forward.

He has built/evolved a great team, the number of high profile personnel changes, poached from every sector of industry is no mean feat.

Building something like these watches, to that level of polish from drawing board to availability in 3 years under such speculation and scrutiny in a fantastic achievement.

I have read so much crap on these forums this evening, and the validity of most posts on here in the hours,days,weeks after Apple enters a new product category is minimal. Everyone giving either glorious praise or damning verdicts.

All I will say is when was the last time Apple failed with a major product line (i.e.. one that is likely to sell in the 100's of millions?)

selmy

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2013
What about ATMs? Guess I'll still have to lug around those bulky debit cards.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
how so? I would avoid using it until Apple proven their security... with recent iCloud hack... I trust Apple even less... especially with all these private info...

Totally understand but from what I have read, the celebs had lousy passwords. It doesnt matter what level of security Apple (or anyone) implements, if the user chooses a simple/easy password.

RoccoFan

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
ummmm

Although Apple Pay will be convenient if it becomes accepted everywhere, I don't want to use it if it means Apple earns money off every transaction I make just for allowing me to pay with my phone or watch.

Yes, if you're really against interchange fees you should pay with cash but the convenience is not worth it just so I can create another revenue stream for Apple.

The money they made off of your 27 inch iMac is more than the half a cent per transaction they'll make off of Apple Pay. You're already contributing to their revenue stream. No, Apple isn't the shining beacon of goodness in corporate America you thought they were. Get over it. It's called capitalism.

DerekAndonian

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2014
I am disappointed that Apple went the NFC route, they have a much better and more interactive and engaging experience with iBeacon.

The thing about that is, they would have to roll out iBeacons to stores before it could be used. The version they introduced can already be used in a lot of places.

McCool71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
the implementation is revolutionary

Maybe in the US.

I saw people use their phones (probably NFC or something similar) to pay for all kinds of things when I visited Japan in 2011. Don't know if it was only for smaller purchases though, but it surely made the queue and payment at newspaper stands, snack bars and such move at a pace I have never seen in the US.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Hong Kong has implemented NFC payment in the form of "Octopus card" since 1997, with "Auto add value service (AAVS)" which links up to the cardholder's credit card account. Every HK citizen has statistically more than one octopus card and the payment terminals are everywhere in the city. Not to mention the Oyster card in the UK, and several bigger cities in China already have their equivalent NFC payment solutions. So Apple needs to let those services incorporate with the Apple Pay in the iPhone otherwise it will never take off in these countries.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Apple isn't making money off the transactions - they don't even track how much you spend. If anything, they are being paid by Visa, AmEx, and MC per X number of cards added or something. That is the only way I can think Apple would make money from you actually using ApplePay.

The way I think Apple really wants to make money off this is with locking you even further into their Eco system. I've not thought about getting an apple with but now that I can pay with it, maybe.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
iCloud wasn't hacked, their passwords were guessed.

Totally understand but from what I have read, the celebs had lousy passwords. It doesnt matter what level of security Apple (or anyone) implements, if the user chooses a simple/easy password.

True... they had weak password... the fact is their account being comprised by using some bugs or holes on Find my iPhone makes me questioning Apple's security. It is not just about Apple. I will not trust any companies coming up this type of thing.

I prefer so called "antiquate type of paying method"

AreYouIn?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
I want this right now. Unfortunately the cell company I work for doesn't allow us to purchase the phone for 4 - 5 months. Once consumer demand goes down employees can order.

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
This feature really is cool... Actually one of the things I am most excited about. Apple is changing things!

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
I'm sure Jennifer Lawrence can't wait to get her credit card info into iCloud :p

Your or her credit card info won't be in iCloud.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-6/apple-pay/

Every time you hand over your credit or debit card to pay, your card number and identity are visible. With Apple Pay, instead of using your actual credit and debit card numbers when you add your card, a unique Device Account Number is assigned, encrypted and securely stored in the Secure Element, a dedicated chip in iPhone. These numbers are never stored on Apple servers. And when you make a purchase, the Device Account Number alongside a transaction-specific dynamic security code is used to process your payment. So your actual credit or debit card numbers are never shared with merchants or transmitted with payment.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
What about ATMs? Guess I'll still have to lug around those bulky debit cards.

You still need lug around these debit cards and credit cards. Because not every where accept phone payment and certainly banks won't take it when you need withdraw cashes or make money orders... or deposit money or cheques into your account

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.