Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In an interview with the The Wall Street Journal following today's media event, Apple CEO Tim Cook stated that the company expects the launch of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus to trigger "the mother of all upgrades" as consumers consider their next smartphone purchase. Cook also added that he expects Android users to look at switching to the iPhone, claiming that the phones are "appreciably better in every single way".

iphone6_6plus_laying_down.png
iPhone 6 (left) and iPhone 6 Plus (right)​
The CEO also commented on the Apple Watch and the company's new Apple Pay mobile payments initiative:
Cook said Apple's efforts in payments were "classic Apple" in taking a complex problem and making it simple. "Yes, there is going to be some economic benefit, but from a customer point of view, it takes something that's way too hard and insecure and makes it so easy and fast."

Finally, Cook said the Apple Watch was the byproduct of deep thinking about every aspect of the product, and only possible because of collaboration among Apple's hardware, software and services teams. He believes that will differentiate Apple's smartwatch from other devices, which have recorded tepid sales.
Both the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus will launch on September 19, with pre-orders starting this Friday, September 12. The iPhone 6 will be available in 16 GB, 64 GB, and 128 GB variants for $199, $299, and $399, while the iPhone 6 Plus will be available in the same storage capacities for $299, $399, and $499, respectively.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook: iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus Will Trigger 'Mother of All Upgrades'

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
No Luke, the latest Mac Pro is your father. of all upgrades.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Is he referring to "pants with bigger pockets" because I've not seen a single pair in stores yet, nor even a blurry image in a rumor thread?:rolleyes:

More seriously, this is exactly why I think they also developed and launched a 5.5"- to hit the Android players right where it hurts. In one shot, they mitigate the biggest tangible reason to buy Android smart phones with the added enticement of iOS to boot. I think he's right: a lot of Android people will come back to iPhone.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Do we know what cut they are going to take from each Apple Pay transaction?
LOL, nice try.

The next few months are going to be difficult for jerks- as they are proven wrong over and over and Apple sets new records of sales, profit, marketshare, etc. while the Galaxy Gear fades into the abyss and the rest of Android continues its race to the bottom.

But yeah, grasp at every straw you can.

procrastinasn

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Why? I don't want one. I'll stick with the 5S. I don't want to break my camera.

Everyone appreciates your sacrifice for the greater good.
ONE person out there will enjoy not needing to wait for a delayed phone because of you.

You are the man.

cparktd

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2009
Middle TN
When hands on...

When, at what point do they normally put them on display in the Apple / Carrier stores?
I want to FEEL them up before deciding.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
LOL, nice try.

The next few months are going to be difficult for jerks- as they are proven wrong over and over and Apple sets new records of sales, profit, marketshare, etc. while the Galaxy Gear fades into the abyss and the rest of Android continues its race to the bottom.

But yeah, grasp at every straw you can.

What? Did you reply to the wrong comment or something? I am asking if anyone knows what their cut will be. PayPals system takes about 2.9-3.5% + 20p. IIRC.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Have fun with the apps. That's the main reason why I switched back to Apple.

I don't really use a lot of 3rd party "apps", I understand that is a selling point for a lot of people but I use Google Maps more than about every other app, lots of YouTube too. I'd be willing to bet the new iPhone won't have manual quality control (HD playback) over cellular networks which is a pretty big dealbreaker for someone who does videos professionally and has lots of them on YouTube.

StealthscrapE

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Is it just me, or does the space gray look close to the silver? Serious question. I expected a much darker tint to it, but I can't tell.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
If you can't beat them with a 4" screen join them with a 5.5"!
Apple was beating then just fine at 4", with revenue and profits that exceed every Android vendor on Earth put together. Now, Apple is ready to annihilate the high end of the Android market. By this time next year, the most expensive Android you can get will be $300 and will run an obsolete version of Android on obsolete hardware. There just aren't going to be enough die-hard fandroids to keep the $500 flagship Android phones alive. Most people bought Android for size or price, now it will just be the latter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.