Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkim3691

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
I did this when I got my iPhone 5 and I had to take my phone in to the store before activating it so they could get the SIM card situation all set. This in turn made my dad's SIM (the line that I used the upgrade for) to turn off so I had to go and deliver a new SIM to him after I was done at the store.

I just got off chat with a rep from AT&T and he said they've changed it to make it easier and that I can just activate the phone when it arrives. He didn't provide me with much more detail even though I continued to ask. Is there anybody who did this when the 5s came out that could shed some light?

steemax

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2009
SoCal
I didn't know they changed this... I would also like to know more info about this if anyone can shed some light.

When I got my 5 I had to go into a physical store as well and they had to create brand new sims for both myself and the other phone for the swap to work.

If they really have changed this that would be fantastic but can someone confirm?

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
You can even do this online now. AT&T lets you "take" other line's upgrades

64076b032d.png

This comes up in the OLAM system.

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
I was looking into it and you now have the option to swap your upgrades on AT&T's website. Pretty straightforward.
I'm wasn't eligible for an upgrade until 9/15/15 but my brother was. I swapped it a little while ago. Now I'm eligible and my brother isn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.