Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
So I have to carry both my iPhone 6+ and wear The Watch to get complete stats on my workout/fitness?

From the Apple product page:
pple Watch uses this sensor, along with an accelerometer and the GPS and Wi‑Fi in your iPhone, to measure all kinds of physical movement, from simply standing up to actively working out.

I was hoping to finally leave the iPhone in the car while The Watch records the data to sync back to the iPhone. :confused:

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I think there will be some standalone functions for sure.

But yeah, no GPS, that was never going to be the case - the only one to have that so far is the gigantic Samsung one announced last week.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Given that iPhones aren't shown in the fitness video (I get it's all staged), I still want to know more about how the watch connects to the iPhone and what exactly the watch can do alone.....

Just seems odd to have to carry around your iPhone while you run....

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
The Watch website literally says this:

"Music. Control the music on your iPhone without taking it out of your pocket. And when you leave iPhone at home to go for a jog, listen to music directly on Apple Watch."

Apple too figured out some people will leave their phones at home during a workout so there has to be iPhone independence at some level.

Obviously it will function as a watch when not around your phone, you will not receive messages and alerts but it might still be able to analyse your heart beat and steps taken etc.

But I agree that a list of iPhone required features would come in handy before anyone spends $350+ on this thing. My girlfriend for example has an iPhone 4S and she will not upgrade simply because it still works fine for her needs, yet she really loves the Apple Watch.

I was really hoping for this as well... but I understand that the technology just isn't there yet.

Watch will still be able to track movements, play music, some apps, etc without the iPhone. Basically it seems like it can do anything that doesn't require GPS or a cell/data connection.

One benefit is I'd finally be able to start using an arm band. Currently I hold my iPhone so I can control my music (ok actually I do podcasts/audiobooks) and monitor my distance/speed. Having that functionality on my wrist could be an enhancement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.