Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is facing criticism from alternative rock band OK Go following the release of its promotional video, "Perspective," that promotes the company's philosophy of "seeing things differently." Showcased as the introduction to Apple's Phone 6 press event, the video pans around a room, using camera angles to align random shapes into words. OK Go is accusing Apple of lifting this visual trick from the band's recently released "The Writing's On the Wall" music video.

Following the talks between Apple and OK Go, Gershon claims Apple also hired 1stAveMachine and even employed the same director that worked with OK Go on its hit music video to produce the video for the company's iPhone launch event. As a result, Apple's latest promotional video has an uncanny similarity to OK Go's "The Writing's On the Wall".
"The videos speak for themselves and you can draw your own conclusions," says Gershon, adding that the band is exploring its legal options.
OK Go may have a hard time proving a copyright violation or idea theft in court, but that isn't stopping them from complaining publicly about the perceived injustice. This isn't the first time Apple's advertising efforts have face scrutiny. In one high-profile case, the company faced a complaint over its Siri commercials that showcased an ease-of-use which the lawsuit claimed was not present in real-world usage.

Article Link: OK Go Accuses Apple of Ripping Off Concept From Hit Music Video

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Good artists copy, great artists steal.

But whatever, hope these losers get their 5 minutes of fame.

CptnJustc

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2007
Was totally thinking about the OK Go video while watching this. Figured they'd got the rights to copy it somehow.

Just a little ironic given the message.

Last edited:

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Yep they stole the idea. Apple's isn't done as well and isn't even real as it is clearly a 3D animation but you can't own a concept like that so OK Go will have to give up on that claim.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
OK Go didn't invent this by any means and it's been used countless other times before they ever made use of it. Sounds like OK Go is just looking for some free press.

hattonna928

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2014
Haha because nobody has ever used that word lining up thing before... Obviously OK Go has never been to a university commencement... I've played in the bands for several and they always show videos with stuff like that.

coldsweat

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
Grimsby, UK
When I saw the Clip on the Apple Keynote, I did immediately think to myself 'thats remarkably similar to the new OK Go video!'

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Apple copy something? Never! I won't hear a word of it.

I mean when it's the other way around I care immensely. Say if Samsung copied something Apple did. Then I'd care.

Yours faithfully,
The Macrumors community.

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
Ridiculous. Nobody is allowed to use a panning camera like that. What was Apple thinking ????????

Southshore

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2009
Boston, MA, New York, NY
Really?

They should have turned it into a story about Apple promoting their ideas for free instead, it would have garnered more press.

Perhaps they should consider that architects have been borrowing the best ideas from one another for hundreds of years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.