Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
As Mac users, we're used to paying a premium price for a well-designed product when much cheaper alternatives are available.

Thus, we're the perfect market for the Gillette Fusion Power. I received and used one this morning (gotta love Amazon Prime - one click and it arrives two days later with no shipping and no tax), and I thought I'd write a review.

To begin with, the case which holds the razor itself is well designed - it can be laid flat (as with all cases) but also stands vertically - a nice touch. The orange color scheme is reminiscent of the tangerine Macs.

The razor itself is roughly the size of the Gillette M3 Power but more "futuristic" in design. The feel is fantastic (it's plastic, but it feels a lot like metal), and there's even a little battery meter (which seems unnecessary - my M3 Power has used the same battery since May 2004 with almost daily use and still works fine).

The cartridge is phenomenal - five blades for normal shaving, plus one at the top for trimming, shaving the top of your upper lip area, etc. I shaved with a fresh M3 Power cartridge yesterday, and the new Fusion one today, and, as much as I liked the M3, the Fusion cartridge does shave more smoothly and closer. And the trimmer is one of those things you never realized you needed until you have it (like Exposé...).

However, unlike with the M3 Power (which could use the essentially identical but cheaper Mach cartridges), the Fusion needs its own. I would suspect that the Fusion Manual and Fusion Power ones are interchangeable (and the Manual ones are about 10% cheaper), but I can't verify that.

Even though the cartridges are rather expensive, if they last anywhere near as long as the Mach ones do, the cost-per-day is still very low.

Highly recommended.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
jsw said:
As Mac users, we're used to paying a premium price for a well-designed product when much cheaper alternatives are available.

Thus, we're the perfect market for the Gillette Fusion Power. I received and used one this morning (gotta love Amazon Prime - one click and it arrives two days later with no shipping and no tax), and I thought I'd write a review.

To begin with, the case which holds the razor itself is well designed - it can be laid flat (as with all cases) but also stands vertically - a nice touch. The orange color scheme is reminiscent of the tangerine Macs.

The razor itself is roughly the size of the Gillette M3 Power but more "futuristic" in design. The feel is fantastic (it's plastic, but it feels a lot like metal), and there's even a little battery meter (which seems unnecessary - my M3 Power has used the same battery since May 2004 with almost daily use and still works fine).

The cartridge is phenomenal - five blades for normal shaving, plus one at the top for trimming, shaving the top of your upper lip area, etc. I shaved with a fresh M3 Power cartridge yesterday, and the new Fusion one today, and, as much as I liked the M3, the Fusion cartridge does shave more smoothly and closer. And the trimmer is one of those things you never realized you needed until you have it (like Exposé...).

However, unlike with the M3 Power (which could use the essentially identical but cheaper Mach cartridges), the Fusion needs its own. I would suspect that the Fusion Manual and Fusion Power ones are interchangeable (and the Manual ones are about 10% cheaper), but I can't verify that.

Even though the cartridges are rather expensive, if they last anywhere near as long as the Mach ones do, the cost-per-day is still very low.

Highly recommended.

$3.50 per refill blade?!?!?

I hate shaving - if this makes it any easier, I might be tempted, though. I have an especially hard time with my neck area.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
It's no wonder that Gilette came up with more battery powered razors and toothbrushes, they own Duracell ^_^

5 blades!!! Holy slice of skin Batman! To think that a website came up with a 4 blades razor spoof a wile ago to mock the 3 bladed razors. :D

No, seriously, glad you like it. I personally don't use replaceable blade razors because my beard follicle makes the blades dull after 3-4 shaves. The best $/day razor I ever used (and still use) is one of those: click! ;)

I'm curious, what exactly does the battery power in this type of razor? Vibration? I've never used one.

Thanks

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
srobert said:
I'm curious, what exactly does the battery power in this type of razor? Vibration? I've never used one.

Yeah, it has this little motor inside that's weighted so it vibrates when its activated. I have an M3 and I'm pretty satisfied with it, doesn't shave closer but it glides easier. Not powerful enough for any more fun in the shower though. :(

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I saw one of these at Costco last night. I think it was $23 for the razor and a total of 6 blades.:eek:
I've been using a Braun electric for the past two years, but I like to keep a regular razor around for touch ups and trimming the sideburns and neck when I need to gussy up. I had one in my cart and put it back. Kinda pricey for occasional use [the wife wisely doesn't take me out too often].:p

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
srobert said:

I got one of those Venus Vibrance things for free. (I pay not for anything!)
I don't really know why it vibrates. It just feels funny while I'm shaving my legs. It's not any closer than my dollar store 3 blade disposable razors.

It feels really weird when I shave my underarms, though.. I can't deal with that. I have ticklish 'pits.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
iGary said:
$3.50 per refill blade?!?!?

I hate shaving - if this makes it any easier, I might be tempted, though. I have an especially hard time with my neck area.
Yeah, but that's less than $0.60/blade (there are six blades altogether, after all). ;)

If you've tried the M3 Power and found it to be lacking, this will probably disappoint as well - it works better than the M3, but not so much so that, if the M3 has utterly failed you, this will miraculously work wonders.

However, otherwise, I'd say spend the $10 and try it. If it works, hey, no pain or bleeding is worth $3.50/week (mine - at least the Mach ones - tend to last well over a week, but others have courser beards or are pickier about the "newness" of their cartridges). Be forewarned, though, that it comes with but one cartridge - none hidden in the back of the case.

However, since the daily cost to me is about 10% of what I spend on coffee, it's a no-brainer in my case. Anything for a more comfortable shave. And, yes, of course, bonus points for style.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
jsw said:
If it works, hey, no pain or bleeding is worth $3.50/week (mine - at least the Mach ones - tend to last well over a week, but others have courser beards or are pickier about the "newness" of their cartridges).

Sissy. Nicks don't hurt that bad.

Try swimming in the ocean, post shave, with-nicks. Then it'll hurt.

oww, the burn.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
katie ta achoo said:
I got one of those Venus Vibrance things for free. (I pay not for anything!)
I don't really know why it vibrates. It just feels funny while I'm shaving my legs. It's not any closer than my dollar store 3 blade disposable razors.

It feels really weird when I shave my underarms, though.. I can't deal with that. I have ticklish 'pits.
Well, since the Venus is magically free for you, whereas the dollar store razors are - let me guess - a dollar, it's cheaper to use the Venus, right? ;)

As far as the vibrating goes - as v said above, it doesn't shave closer, but it does provide a smoother shaving "feel". Using the exact same cartridge in a Mach 3 and a M3 Power, the shave was - as far as I could tell - identical, but the Power provided a smother and more enjoyable (or less uncomfortable) experience. Same cartridge (well, a new one from the same pack, so each razor had a fresh one).

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
jsw said:
Try the Venus. It's ribbed. :D

Or overclock it.

Kevin Rose did it to a toothbrush.
link

ah, Kevin Rose-- more than just a pretty face.
*swoons*

jsw said:
Well, since the Venus is magically free for you, whereas the dollar store razors are - let me guess - a dollar, it's cheaper to use the Venus, right?

venus replacement cartridges-- ~$8 for 3
Dollar store disposable 3 blades- $1.07 (tax incl) for 4!

I could draw a stupid looking graph, but eh.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
katie ta achoo said:
Sissy. Nicks don't hurt that bad.

Try swimming in the ocean, post shave, with-nicks. Then it'll hurt.

oww, the burn.
Nicks don't bother me. Except, at times, Stevie Nicks, but that's a different story.

I just use that as a convenient excuse for spending too much money on the latest cool gadgets.

As far as swimming in the ocean, post shave? Up here, the cold would numb you so quickly that your nicks wouldn't hurt at all before you went into shock and drowned.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
vniow said:
Not powerful enough for any more fun in the shower though. :(
You know that was the first thing I thought of when I first tried the razor. Nice little vibrator. Figure you could chop off the blade part and sand down any edges. But I guess a vibrator disguised as a razor is pretty sneaky for you gals;)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
katie ta achoo said:
Or overclock it.

Kevin Rose did it to a toothbrush.
link

ah, Kevin Rose-- more than just a pretty face.
*swoons*
He also destroyed a mini just to shove a PC into its case. Bastard.
katie ta achoo said:
venus replacement cartridges-- ~$8 for 3
Dollar store disposable 3 blades- $1.07 (tax incl) for 4!

I could draw a stupid looking graph, but eh.
Ah, so I see we're buying the cheapest thing that'll somewhat do the job? How's your eMachine? ;)

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
jsw said:
I just use that as a convenient excuse for spending too much money on the latest cool gadgets.

The 5G iPod has a shaving attachment now!
It plugs into the dock and draws power from the battery.

You can watch videos WHILE you shave!1!!1!

...PATENT PENDING!!

jsw said:
Ah, so I see we're buying the cheapest thing that'll somewhat do the job? How's your eMachine?
oh, someone's forgetting about a $0 PowerBook.
Yeah, and cheapest thing that'll do the job.. how I feel about some stuff regarding my recital, but that's another story. (it'll be full of :mad: faces.)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
freeny said:
You know that was the first thing I thought of when I first tried the razor. Nice little vibrator. Figure you could chop off the blade part and sand down any edges. But I guess a vibrator disguised as a razor is pretty sneaky for you gals;)
Not that I'd try it or would have ever even have devoted time thinking about it, but you don't need to do anything at all to the razor except remove the cartridge. The ribbed and rounded bottom vibrates as much as the razor end.

Or so I would suspect. I mean, at least, I think maybe that's the case. I've never tried it. Ever.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
katie ta achoo said:
It took longer for this thread to go there than I thought it would.
27 minutes (vniow's post). Not too bad. Of course, I was talking about using the razor to provide a nice temple massage, great for relieving headaches. I have no idea what anyone else was talking about.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
jsw said:
27 minutes (vniow's post). Not too bad. Of course, I was talking about using the razor to provide a nice temple massage, great for relieving headaches. I have no idea what anyone else was talking about.
They're all a bunch of pervs. ;)

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Forgot to mention it in my original post, but did anybody else think by reading the thread's title that Gillette actually came up with some form of working Cold Fusion generator? That's why I first clicked on this thread. ^_^

(trying to take back the thread from "there" to "here")

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
jsw said:
Or so I would suspect. I mean, at least, I think maybe that's the case. I've never tried it. Ever.

*watches jsw scan the room and make sure no one is looking*

Seriously, my cellphone on vibrate is more powerful than those little things.

Especially when its placed strategically in my pocket. :D

Doesn't totally get rid of nicks and cuts though which all to common when I shave, probably the reason why I haven't touched my legs in months... :rolleyes:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
srobert said:
Forgot to mention it in my original post, but did anybody else think by reading the thread's title that Gillette actually came up with some form of working Cold Fusion generator? That's why I first clicked on this thread. ^_^

(trying to take back the thread from "there" to "here")
Actually, they did. I forgot to mention that the battery is rechargeable, and that the razor charges it as opposed to uses it. When I'm not shaving, I use the Fusion to power my iPod. Shortly, I'll hook it up to my Jeep ("Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads....").

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.