Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

venomgt95

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2014
Michigan
Whats so special about streaming music? I personally dislike it, i mean its ok, but what happens if you don't have a data connection or WiFi? How would you listen to your music? That's where I see the flaw in music streaming services. I for one like having all my music available to me, whenever i want it. That's what I loved about the iPod Classic. No strings attached, music listening. And now that its gone, what are we Audiophiles to do? Lets face it. Now that the Classic's gone, the age of the iPod is over. The future is touchscreens on our wrists, not scrollwheels in our pockets.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Personally I prefer to have my music stored on my phone. I do stream on my iPad but my phone is my main device so I like to have all my music available regardless of whether I have an internet connection or not.

venomgt95

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2014
Michigan
i have a 4th Gen touch. its my primary ipod (for music) and i love it, dont get me wrong, but its really inconvenient at times (like when im doing dishes or mowing the lawn) whereas the classic (or any click wheeled device) i can just push a button through my pocket, and move along. with my touch, i gotta stop what im doing, unlock it, and such.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You can save stuff offline. And see, that's what I don't like about it. I think it works well if you're going to alternate between tracks, but some people use them as they would iTunes and that makes no sense. Paying $100 a year to lease music is a waste of time and money. You might say it's easier to get rid of stuff, but come on, how hard is it to use a trashcan on your desktop or use the delete button in the iTunes Music app?

There are so many deals right now on MP3 albums too. I bought 6 yesterday with $15, and it's all the latest stuff, heh.

I think it's good for people that are not into music as much, but for those of us who have been doing this for years it doesn't make any sense.

The iPod would have died sooner or later without that option though. The touch screens just make more sense for a lot of people.

venomgt95

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2014
Michigan
exactly. why waste money on music you cant keep?? its stupid. i myself still like to buy CD's.

rjalda100

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
I prefer to actually own my music, because then it's there for me whenever I need it, even when I don't have wifi or data. I sometimes stream when I'm at home, but that's the only time really.

repentix

macrumors regular
May 26, 2013
I like having all my music stored locally, the same as I like having all my movies on DVD's or on my PC. It feels more secure and you can do what you want with the files, compared to having to goof around with some kind of recording software when streaming. The internet isn't everywhere, at least not yet and not free ;)

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I collect singles which tend to be pulled within three months of their release. EPs have the same issue too. It can literally take 20 years for those things to resurface again as legal downloads.

Labels have too much control over streaming rights too. At any moment they can yank their entire catalogue.

Erik Chandra

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2014
Thank god,there are still people love music collection..i thought i was alone in this universe..i really curious,why people these days love streaming music..you have to pay each time you listen to it??..its stupid!..
Im waiting for ipod touch 6 with 128 gb this october..if apple dont release it,i think im going to choose between ipad mini 128gb org ipod touch 5 64gb..

tech3475

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
Personally, I prefer local/collections but I also use streaming services.

With local you're almost guaranteed access and if you're ripping CDs you can make a lossless copy (quality aside I feel like I have more control since I can edit them without additional loss).

But I do use free streaming services, for example, if I'm looking for new songs or others want to listen to a song I don't have. It is also in the case of Google music a handy backup.

But I wouldn't rely on them or pay for them and several times now they have failed me or caused me problems.

For example, I can't use them when walking home (unless I cache locally in advance which except for Google music costs money) and I once had music unlimited (PS+ offer) and trying to save locally was a pain.

That is what disappointed me the most about the Classic being discontinued, the 160GB model can have a copy of all my music (albeit lossy) where as all the alternatives are either hundreds of pounds more and/or store less.

If Apple (or a rival company with something different) at the same time announced a 160/256GB Nano or touch for either the same price or a little bit more I wouldn't have minded so much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.