Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhobes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Bigfork, MT
I just did an update to iTunes v11.4, it installed but when the update was over I got a pop up window (Yellow triangle w/ exclamation point) titled:

System extension cannot be used
The system extension “//System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext” was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update.

I went to my Library Folder --->Extensions Folder to see this:

Extensions
ArcMSR.kext
ATTOCelerityFC8.kext
ATTOExpressSASHBA2.kext
ATTOExpressSASRAID2.kext
CalDigitHDProDrv.kext
EPSONUSBPrintClass.kext
HighPointIOP.kext
HighPointRR.kext
PromiseSTEX.kext
SoftRAID.kext

I would think it's related to the new iTunes update, but that seems to be done & no indication to re upload that. I don't understand how to reinstall it and who is the products vendor?

I don't see the "AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext" extension in the Extensions library to begin with. Or, do I just copy it and paste it there?

TIA
Rhobes

EDIT::
-----------------------------
I can't believe I'm the only one on this forum with a mac who has downloaded the update to iTunes (11.4) and had this problem. I have surfed a number of other mac forums and this is the "Hot" issue of the day! This is on Apple support but of course ignored with no advise as what to do.

Really, no one here has had this problem? Wow! Guess this isn't the forum to ask help on...

Last edited:

Rhobes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Bigfork, MT
Hello All-

I had the AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext problem when downloading iTunes 11.4. This is a widespread problem, many forums have addressed it.

I found help here: https://www.discussions.apple.com/message/26574841#26574841

See Lanny’s post, I did as he suggested.
1st- Close iTunes.
2nd- Delete the system extension “AppleUSBethernetHost.kext” from here:
//System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBethernetHost.kext

3rd- go to iTunes 11.4 download, here: https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
click on the Download Now link.

4th- Find the downloaded iTunes11.4.dmg file, open it, now open the Install iTunes.pkg

After the re-install as above I got the successfully installed window and no “pop up”
improperly installed AppleUSBMultitouch.kext warning window.

Reactions: rdalbow

Bigdogorl

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
I don't see the "AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext" extension in the Extensions library to begin with. Or, do I just copy it and paste it there?

I can't find this extension either - how do I get there? Or run a search?

Macbookpro/software/extensions and nothing their related to the error. It's making my transition to the i6+ a serious pain.

RubyLee

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2014
Same exact issue

I'm having the same issue! Have you found a solution yet? Everyone suggests an iTunes update but I'm already on 11.4!

I just did an update to iTunes v11.4, it installed but when the update was over I got a pop up window (Yellow triangle w/ exclamation point) titled:

System extension cannot be used
The system extension “//System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext” was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update.

I went to my Library Folder --->Extensions Folder to see this:

Extensions
ArcMSR.kext
ATTOCelerityFC8.kext
ATTOExpressSASHBA2.kext
ATTOExpressSASRAID2.kext
CalDigitHDProDrv.kext
EPSONUSBPrintClass.kext
HighPointIOP.kext
HighPointRR.kext
PromiseSTEX.kext
SoftRAID.kext

I would think it's related to the new iTunes update, but that seems to be done & no indication to re upload that. I don't understand how to reinstall it and who is the products vendor?

TIA
Rhobes

EDIT::
-----------------------------
I can't believe I'm the only one on this forum with a mac who has downloaded the update to iTunes (11.4) and had this problem. I have surfed a number of other mac forums and this is the "Hot" issue of the day! This is on Apple support but of course ignored with no advise as what to do.

Really, no one here has had this problem? Wow! Guess this isn't the forum to ask help on...

Bigdogorl

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
Had to download the new OS, Mavericks, onto the MacBook and then all was good. I think it's related to the new cloud driver option with iOS 8. They must, I'm assuming, have had to use non native code to get some of he Windows driver like features and it just doesn't work with the last OS.

dkgee

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
Park City UT
Be sure you are in the correct Library folder

When searching for the "AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext" extension, be sure you are looking in the correct Library. The problem file is in the "System/Library/" folder, not the root Library or the User Library.

Rhobes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Bigfork, MT
When searching for the "AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext" extension, be sure you are looking in the correct Library. The problem file is in the "System/Library/" folder, not the root Library or the User Library.

That is correct, I had the wrong library. Just trashed/deleted the .kext, emptied trash and reloaded iTunes v11.4. This corrects the issue for most.

vdonahue

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014
That is correct, I had the wrong library. Just trashed/deleted the .kext, emptied trash and reloaded iTunes v11.4. This corrects the issue for most.

What about us poor souls running 10.9? They have hidden the library now.

vdonahue

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014
Macintosh HD/System/Library is not hidden in Mavericks.

Ok, finally found it in mine. My husband has messed up his computer big time, and I had a very hard time finding it in his. It would not come up in search. Thanks. I'm just very used to seeing it in the side index as it used to be.

I did manage to download iTunes from Apple and fix it that way, without having to find the library and just overwrote it.

bettybaby00

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
Hello All-

I had the AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext problem when downloading iTunes 11.4. This is a widespread problem, many forums have addressed it.

I found help here: https://www.discussions.apple.com/message/26574841#26574841

See Lanny’s post, I did as he suggested.
1st- Close iTunes.
2nd- Delete the system extension “AppleUSBethernetHost.kext” from here:
//System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBethernetHost.kext

3rd- go to iTunes 11.4 download, here: https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
click on the Download Now link.

4th- Find the downloaded iTunes11.4.dmg file, open it, now open the Install iTunes.pkg

After the re-install as above I got the successfully installed window and no “pop up”
improperly installed AppleUSBMultitouch.kext warning window.

worked like a charm! Thank you.

shambles22

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2014
I received the same message after updating iTunes

There were a couple of other updates that happened at the same time - namely latest Maverick update. I have a early 2011 MacBook Pro 15".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.