Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With pre-orders for the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus happening this Friday, many people who hope to get their hands on one of the new devices are going to be scrambling to find out their upgrade options. TUAW has assembled a helpful guide on to help users check their upgrade eligibility and purchasing options.

Users on all four major networks in the United States can type a quick code into their phones to get an immediate report on their upgrade status via text message. The codes are as follows:

- AT&T: *639#
- Sprint: 1311
- T-Mobile: #874
- Verizon: #874

These codes are a good way to get a quick look at upgrade eligibility, but some of them don't exactly tell the whole story. For example, AT&T's text message is pointing users towards a Next plan, even if they may have other upgrade options available. A second option for getting a clear picture of upgrade eligibility on the four major networks is going through Apple's own site.

attupgrademessage.jpg
Visiting the iPhone 6 pre-order page and choosing a model, carrier, and color will give an option to "Check your upgrade eligibility" with AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon. T-Mobile works somewhat differently as Apple only gives T-Mobile customers the option to buy outright.

Checking upgrade options requires a user to enter a wireless number, billing zip code, and the last four digits of the social security number on the account, after which it displays all of the upgrade options available, including when an account might become eligible for an early or full upgrade.

For example, an AT&T user who purchased an iPhone 5s on release day on a two-year contract would be able to purchase an iPhone 6 for $649 on pre-order day, but would also be eligible for an early upgrade on September 21, which provides a $200 discount. This option also displays what Next monthly fees would be.

upgradeeligibility.jpg
Many times, new purchasing fees can be cut by trading a device into an Apple Store, a carrier, or a third party service, all of which offer payouts for old Apple devices.

For those planning to upgrade, it's important to look into options immediately as there are only two days left until the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus will be available for pre-order. Though Apple has not yet confirmed what time the two devices will go on sale, AT&T says that its pre-order sales will begin on September 12 at 12:01 AM Pacific Time, and it's likely Apple's own sales will start at the same time.

Article Link: Checking Upgrade Eligibility Ahead of Friday's iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Pre-Orders

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I think this will be the first time I don't preorder a phone online. Going to have to go into the store on the 19th to play with both sizes of the iPhone 6. Can't make up my mind.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
As much as I am looking forward to upgrading my 4S. I'm going to wait until to end of September or start of October. I don't want to risk have any first batch manufacturing defects and I don't like the big rush and back orders.

I'll live until I can casually walk into an Apple Store and pick one up, but I'm glad for all of you who get a launch day device, it must be exciting. :)

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I would like to get the iPhone 6 plus 64gb using the AT&T Next but that will make the phone cost $849. That's a lot. I guess, I'll wait until my 5S contract expires.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
I think this will be the first time I don't preorder a phone online. Going to have to go into the store on the 19th to play with both sizes of the iPhone 6. Can't make up my mind.

This helped me quite a bit actually: Yes, they are slightly oversized with the cardboard so I could theoretically account for the Apple leather case. :)

5l3pm02.jpg

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013

i'm in the same boat as you! i just know that it will be sold out if i wait till the 19th.

i think i might just go with the 4.7", there will always be the 6S+.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
It looks like contract-free iPhones will be available for preorder/launch day! Although I'm not sure whether to get a Verizon or T-Mobile one; since I can't order, I can't tell if I can get a full-price Verizon one.

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
Based on the pricing, I think they meant iPhone 5s, not 5, in the example above.

EDIT: Post has been corrected.

Last edited:

iNewbie

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
Pricing...

I did this check on 4 phone lines still under 2 yr. commitment. So not eligible for subsidy from AT&T.

My pricing was lower then what the initial post had. Can anyone tell me why that is?

PhonePricing.jpg

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
This helped me quite a bit actually: Yes, they are slightly oversized with the cardboard so I could theoretically account for the Apple leather case. :)

5l3pm02.jpg

this is amazing! thank you so much ... i was going to actually try to cut our cardboard to try to do it :D

daphuon2

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2008
Attached is for ATT if you are eligible 2 year contract price. I checked the site to confirm.
My original date was for the 15th of this month, so it looks like they backtracked it so I am eligible for preorder on the 12th, and I didn't even have to call and ask.

I'm still on the unlimited data plan.

Attachments

• IMG_2393[1].PNG
    IMG_2393[1].PNG
    117.1 KB · Views: 328

MI MacGuy

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2014
Really hoping those of us with T-Mobile Jump! can preorder online. I'm due for an upgrade but I know without preordering, it's gonna be a while... And I'm definitely not about to stand in line somewhere.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
I did this check on 4 phone lines still under 2 yr. commitment. So not eligible for subsidy from AT&T.

My pricing was lower then what the initial post had. Can anyone tell me why that is?

It's giving you the pricing for an early upgrade today. In my post, I'm only eligible for that pricing on September 21, which is why it lists full pricing first. I'm eligible for a full discount in 2015 as listed in your example.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
I already knew this, but my upgrade is July of next year. That will stink, having an upgrade and having to wait almost three months to get the updated phone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.