Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CySU

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
I've decided that I'm switching carriers when the iPhone 6 comes out. We just moved to a new area and I have lackluster coverage with AT&T at my house, but Verizon LTE comes in perfectly.

I got the iPhone 5 on launch day (September 21st), so my contract ends on the 21st this month, but my newest billing period just began yesterday. The only problem with getting a Verizon account is that I'd like to pick up the phone on the 19th... but I don't know what will happen if I happen to port my AT&T number over on the 19th, two days before my contract officially "ends" with AT&T.

I don't mind porting my number over on the 19th and then waiting two-three days to cancel, as my current billing period wouldn't even end until October. Any advice from those who have ported numbers in the past? I've had AT&T since the very first iPhone came out, so I'm very new to this process.

CySU

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
Well, if I wait, most stores would be sold out by the 21st, no? I'm not sure how pre-ordering would work, if they'd require me to sign up for a new plan in advance. I got stonewalled at the one Verizon store I stopped at, the salesperson claimed they hadn't gotten any communication on pre-orders yet and weren't even allowed to talk about it. (Strange.)

jimnguyen07

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2013
My understanding is that once you port over your number, your account with ATT will cancel and thus charging you an ETF. What you can do is just sign up for new line and new number with Verizon on launch day. After your contract is up 2-3 days later call in to Verizon customer service to have your number ported in. You don't have to do anything with ATT at this point as once you port the number, your ATT is automatically cancelled.

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003
Just buy your Verizon phones the day of so you can get your situation with Verizon established. When you get them, get them set up and working. The day after, call customer service and tell them you want to port over your numbers. That way, your phones will be in your hand, and you can port over your number and cancel your AT&T all in one shot.

CySU

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
Those sound like good ideas... but I also forgot to mention that I'd like to trade in my iPhone 5 -- much easier to convince my wife that upgrading was a no-brainer considering that I just got a new iPhone for $200 off. :D Do you think I'd be able to trade it in for that value after the iPhone 6 releases?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.