Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Justin33

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
So, I'm big into taking lots of pics with my iphone and I want the best possible camera to come with it. Naturally, I was disappointed when they announced its basically the same.

Same 8mp
Same 2.2 aperture
Same 1.5 micron pixels

But a new sensor? Without being biased, please inform me how/if this will really make my pics better?

I will admit, I love the capability of 240fps slo mo. That's at least one good thing.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So, I'm big into taking lots of pics with my iphone and I want the best possible camera to come with it. Naturally, I was disappointed when they announced its basically the same.

Same 8mp
Same 2.2 aperture
Same 1.5 micron pixels

But a new sensor? Without being biased, please inform me how/if this will really make my pics better?

I will admit, I love the capability of 240fps slo mo. That's at least one good thing.

Better low light photos, for one.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR

Same 8mp
Same 2.2 aperture
Same 1.5 micron pixels

Phase detection pixels WILL make the camera focus faster. A LOT faster. No more dithering around while the cam tries to lock focus. Because you'll get your subject in sharp focus much faster you'll be far more likely to get your shot and that in and of itself makes the new sensor worth the upgrade.

Justin33

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Phase detection pixels WILL make the camera focus faster. A LOT faster. No more dithering around while the cam tries to lock focus. Because you'll get your subject in sharp focus much faster you'll be far more likely to get your shot and that in and of itself makes the new sensor worth the upgrade.

Hm. Ok. I really cannot wait to see some comparisons. When will the press first start to get samples? Next week you think?

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Hm. Ok. I really cannot wait to see some comparisons. When will the press first start to get samples? Next week you think?

Pretty sure Apple has examples up already. As far as user samples we'll have to wait until they ship or until reviewers get their hands on them. Not sure if Apple gives out review copies of the phones, so I'd say probably a week or so away...

Justin33

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Yeah. I'd really like side by side comparisons. I'll probably get it either way, I'm just anxious to see the improvement.

Also the 120fps slow was like kinda cool but 240 is legitimately slow mo. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.