Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jargon51

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Was just trying to learn more about this myself. Yes please post any information when you have it.

Thanks,

veryangrybirds

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2011
2yr contract and next or just for 2yr contract?

Does this credit apply to 2yr contract peeps or can it be used for Next peeps as well?

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Well according to the local store here, there are NO in-store pre-ordering this time around. Online orders can only be delivered to the billing address and NOT to any store location.

Thrifty1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
I have an iPhone 4 I look forward to getting $200 for it.

I am on the Next plan and hope this is not only for those signing up for the 2-year contract plan.

I will try again tomorrow and see if the AT&T chat room staff have more info on the details.

Thrifty1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
mhdena - FYI... you are posting the same links I had already posted in the original link.

mguti

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
TX
Just talked to a AT&T rep. and she told me that the trade in HAS to be done in store so in order to get the trade in credit you can't pre order. From my understanding if you plan to use the next program the up to $300 figure will be put towards the cost of the phone, so in return lowering monthly payments.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Thanks for the info. I planned to wait a little and then use my mom's 5 as trade bait and give her my 5S. Gazelle wasn't offering that much for a 5, so this combined with upgrade discounts I saw elsewhere may get me doing this by the end of the month. Woot.

Thrifty1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
Just talked to a AT&T rep. and she told me that the trade in HAS to be done in store so in order to get the trade in credit you can't pre order. From my understanding if you plan to use the next program the up to $300 figure will be put towards the cost of the phone, so in return lowering monthly payments.

That sounds great to me. The only downside is if the ATT stores don't have them in stock immediately.

I had planned to update my son's phone next week and mine later in the year. But I have 2 iPhone 4's and I don't want to pass up the opportunity to get $200 trade-in for each of them. Will make a nice reduction in my Next monthly installment for the iPhone 6.

mguti

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
TX
That sounds great to me. The only downside is if the ATT stores don't have them in stock immediately.

I had planned to update my son's phone next week and mine later in the year. But I have 2 iPhone 4's and I don't want to pass up the opportunity to get $200 trade-in for each of them. Will make a nice reduction in my Next monthly installment for the iPhone 6.

I know when I pre ordered the 5 from att on release day they had some but they were filling pre orders first. They were telling people to wait around and they would let you know if they had any extras. I just hope the lady I talked to was telling the truth about being able to put the trade in credit towards the overall cost of the phone. The way I see it I will go into my local att store on release day and see if they have any I stock. I want the 6+ so what I'm gonna do if indeed I am offered the full $300 I will mostly like get the 64gb model possibly the 128gb model. Just depends on how I feel that day!

grizzy

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
I've seen this "minimum $200 for iphone 4, 4s, 5, and 5c" in several articles but I didn't get those results.

I chatted with an att rep and she sent me to:

https://tradein-program.att.com/home.php5?c=en-us

When I went through everything they only offered $90 for my 4s. :confused:

Am I doing something wrong? Are these articles wrong?

ThunderApple

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
I'm getting a flat $200 offer for my iPhone 5 32GB. Might just do that instead of having to deal with selling it on eBay or Craiglist. Will knock the price down for the 6 to $100.

grizzy

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
What are odds that you preorder online then take the trade in to the store and just get a statement credit?

In the FAQ it says it's good for service:

Yes, you can trade-in your device(s) that you no longer need and use the instant in-store reward towards a new device, product, or service at all of our company owned store locations.

Astec

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2012
I read the terms but am wondering.

I answered the questions honestly, but my phone has a couple dings on the bezel. It didnt ask about that kind of damage, so can my trade in value be voided?

They offered 200 for my 32gb I5.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
I've seen this "minimum $200 for iphone 4, 4s, 5, and 5c" in several articles but I didn't get those results.

AT&T Inc. (T) will let customers trade in their old iPhone for a new iPhone 6 and as much as a $300 credit, joining the wave of deals across the industry designed to lure more subscribers.

The offer will start Sept. 12, the same day Apple Inc. (AAPL)’s new devices will be available for pre-order

Thrifty1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009

When I chatted with the ATT rep, she sent me to the same link. I sent her the link to an article today about minimum $200 trade-in and she said that is a special promotion they were not aware of yet.

I would try again tomorrow -- we need to give them time to get the promotion set up in their system.

Fant

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
I dont get it. So this only works if you do it at a store. And it only works if you buy another iphone from at&t rather than apple. So does that mean instead of preordering at 3am EST tomorrow, one would have to wait until an AT&T store opened, walk in, and preorder a phone thru them and at the same time trade in your old phone and be out of a phone until the new one arrives? I think we should wait for more details as this doesnt seem to be thought out for preorders only for when they have it in stock in stores (9/19).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.