Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple iPhone 6 - Leather vs. Silicone Case?

• Leather Case

Votes: 193 65.4%
  • Silicone Case

Votes: 78 26.4%
  • Other

Votes: 24 8.1%

• Total voters

falconman515

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
So I have never seen either type of case from Apple (I read these basically came out with the 5S as well) .... what do prefer most?

Leather or Silicone and why? :apple: (If OTHER Please say why?)

Looking forward to your vote and your reasoning why one is better then another.

Thanks so much! :cool:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I'm going to try them at the Apple store first.

If it's a hard/smooth silicone, I'll get that. If it's that soft, squidgy one which makes it impossible to get the phone out of your pocket, I'll get the leather.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I'm basing my opinion that the leather one will be like the current 5s cases, and the silicon one like the 5c cases.

I think leather is much nicer as the silicon one picks up lots of lint. Leather also comes in nice, dark colours.

Not sure of the thickness difference between the two, though.

falconman515

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
I'm basing my opinion that the leather one will be like the current 5s cases, and the silicon one like the 5c cases.

I think leather is much nicer as the silicon one picks up lots of lint. Leather also comes in nice, dark colours.

Not sure of the thickness difference between the two, though.

Great info ... this is really the kind of feedback I am looking for here.

size says they are the same on the website for either or.

My first thought is to of course get the leather since I prefer a more professional look (not looking for stupid colors and cheesy teenage kind of junk) ... But wanted to find out more about the silicone model before I order the leather with my iPhone 6 on Friday.

Apollonian

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2010
I'm thinking leather for my iPhone 6 plus myself, the silicon is tempting but it just reminds me too much of those cheap $2 generic cases you can buy. I think the leather with such a minimal price difference is a no brainer for me at least.

falconman515

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
I'm thinking leather for my iPhone 6 plus myself, the silicon is tempting but it just reminds me too much of those cheap $2 generic cases you can buy. I think the leather with such a minimal price difference is a no brainer for me at least.

Kinda my final thoughts really as well.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
Surprised they left the bottom open and not precision cut like the 5S leather ones. But maybe this is better for third party. But any drops on that angle could be bad.

----------

Third party assecories i meant

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
Basing this off my current experience with my leather case.
I'll go with the leather, it feels great in my hands, isn't intrusive like other cases and its an OEM accessory so the fit and finish is always great. My leather case needs to get replaced soon but i've had mine since November of 2013.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Anyone use the leather on on their 5S? Curious your thoughts?

With all the cases I've tried and used, I always end up with the black leather apple case on my 5s

Just ordered 3 Spigen cases for $40 on Amazon (love their cases and price too good to pass up) BUT def gonna drive over to ARS on 9/19 and get the black leather for the 6 plus

jkel777

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2014
I'd prefer the leather, but $50 for the 6+ version seems kind of ridiculous to me.

I'm going to order a Spigen Neo Hybrid for the 6+ after hearing good things about the 5/5s version.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I had the blue leather one for my iPhone 5.

It was really nice but it did get kind of marked up easily after a few months and showed usage, but it was still nice.

I plan on getting another leather case again (I just wish they had the same really pretty blue one like they do for the 5/s)

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
Either. I'm having so much trouble finding a case that I'll settle for either leather or plastic/silicone. I'm looking for some kind of flip-like case that covers all of the sides (well, as much as possible, given that there needs to be openings for the lightning port, buttons, camera, etc.), and can carry a couple of cards (e.g., drivers license). Absolutely no magnets.

Something like the pad and quill pocketbook might be OK, but it's pretty huge. I'd rather have something thinner (spigen used to make one for the 5/5s a long time ago, but no longer sells it).

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
I'll be getting a navy blue leather for my 6+. That color will look fantastic with space gray.

fanchee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
I was all set to order one of each this morning from Apple, until I saw the "shipping in October".... I'll just pick one up locally next Friday.

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
Got a black leather case for my iPhone 6+, delivers between Sept 17-19th so perfect timing.

I've had the black leather case for my iPhone 5s and it's the best case I've ever owned.

Not sure why they left the bottom part open this time though? I can't think of a single good reason, every third party charger has worked fine with my 5s case..

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
I was all set to order one of each this morning from Apple, until I saw the "shipping in October".... I'll just pick one up locally next Friday.
While I hope you're able to get one, stuff like that often means that it'll be unavailable in stores, too.

fanchee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
While I hope you're able to get one, stuff like that often means that it'll be unavailable in stores, too.

You are right! What swayed my decision though is that on Apple's site it said "available to ship in Oct" or "pick up in-store 9-19"

So they will probably be available in-store, but of course with everyone wanting one, there's no guarantee!

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2009
Are the colored leather cases gonna have the discoloration problem like it did last year when they came out for the 5S? or is this a whole different kind of leather case?

makefunnyfaces

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2010
West Virginia
I'm going to try them at the Apple store first.

If it's a hard/smooth silicone, I'll get that. If it's that soft, squidgy one which makes it impossible to get the phone out of your pocket, I'll get the leather.

This. The squishy silicone makes stuffing it in a backpack pocket or pants pocket annoying. I avoid those. I like the look of the leather, but I'd like to see it in person first.

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Gone for the olive brown leather case for my 6 here. Love the Apple leather case on my iPad mini retina here and go that and the Apple tan leather case she has on her 5s have worn/aged really well.

Only slight concern is making sure there is enough clearance around the headphone jack for the chunky Bose plug on my headphones. Time will tell.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Got a black leather case for my iPhone 6+, delivers between Sept 17-19th so perfect timing.

I've had the black leather case for my iPhone 5s and it's the best case I've ever owned.

Not sure why they left the bottom part open this time though? I can't think of a single good reason, every third party charger has worked fine with my 5s case..

Same here. I hope it's not too thick for my 6 Plus though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.