Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GummiBjorn

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMIptqMaym8

Found this interesting video that shows the speed and delay of opening up apps on both the Note 4 and the iPhone 5S. The iPhone 5S is clearly faster and it's things like that which makes me want to go back to Apple after having owned several Android devices (like all the 3 Note generations) the past three years. Apple just offers a smoother experience with their optimized software and hardware. For some people those half to two second delays aren't important but for me personally it is.

There are also other speed test videos comparing the LG G3 and HTC m8 to the Note 4 and they too are faster than the Note 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV8_ESdKoD0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OIT0pC6W98

Notice in the comment section of those videos how the Samsung fanboys are in denial making up all kinds of funny excuses. :D

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Touchwiz remains a dire OEM skin. Someone just called me today to recommend another smartphone to them cos they're fed up with their S4. Told them Moto G or Moto X or iPhone.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I'm really bothered that another phone opens an app a millisecond before my own. The days of lag are gone. All flagship devices are plenty fast and have been for some time.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Yes, milliseconds are going to be a deal breaker. :rolleyes:

It's hilarious that milliseconds matter so much. I think we find the smallest little minutiae to jump on in these forums, both sides are guilty.

Look I saved up all these milliseconds on my smartphone, I added an extra 2 seconds to my life. :D

weespeed

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
Now animations when closing an app or opening one is called lag? Really?
The Note 4 not even out yet.

GummiBjorn

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
Like I said, slow opening and closing of apps is not important to some people. To me it is!

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
A trick on the Notes is to enable developer options and disable transition animations.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Lot of ******** Fandroids @YT comments. I love Android but come on, stop being so dense and in denial about the speed. The iPhone is clearly faster, and no doubt smoother. Pre-production software probably won't make much difference. Pre-caching will help, but not as much as you think. The iPhone would still win quite well.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
In fairness we do not know if apps were in the background. The tester should have at least started by showing us multitasking panes and closing anything in the background, otherwise results can be skewed either way.

weespeed

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
Like I said, slow opening and closing of apps is not important to some people. To me it is!

That's not even a second or two you're saving. You're talking milliseconds.
And you can disable transitions or change the settings.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMIptqMaym8

Found this interesting video that shows the speed and delay of opening up apps on both the Note 4 and the iPhone 5S. The iPhone 5S is clearly faster and it's things like that which makes me want to go back to Apple after having owned several Android devices (like all the 3 Note generations) the past three years. Apple just offers a smoother experience with their optimized software and hardware. For some people those half to two second delays aren't important but for me personally it is.

There are also other speed test videos comparing the LG G3 and HTC m8 to the Note 4 and they too are faster than the Note 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV8_ESdKoD0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OIT0pC6W98

Notice in the comment section of those videos how the Samsung fanboys are in denial making up all kinds of funny excuses. :D

I'll be more than happy to play this ridiculous game ........ :D

2:27 ..... You obviously see that the email sync is disabled error message.

1:05 ..... Thumbnail pics vs no thumbnails.

0:43 .... You have a changing lock screen wallpaper vs static. and you also lock screen widgets vs no lock screen widgets.

1:35 .... Again thumbnail pics and shortcut pic icons on top vs nothing but text.

2:04 .... It's obvious he press the gallery button on the iPhone slightly earlier than the Note 4.

2:41 .... Note 4 display full month vs iPhone display of daily timeline.

And still after all the discrepancies, it's only milliseconds difference.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto

0:43 .... You have a changing lock screen wallpaper vs static. and you also lock screen widgets vs no lock screen widgets.

1:35 .... Again thumbnail pics and shortcut pic icons on top vs nothing but text.

2:04 .... It's obvious he press the gallery button on the iPhone slightly earlier than the Note 4.

I agree.

All I know is that my $350 Nexus is as fast as a $719 iPhone 5s. And my Nexus 5 has 285% more pixels to run.

GummiBjorn

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
That's not even remotely 'slow'.

It is for me.

And the iPhone 5S is one year older! Ridiculous.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
None of this matters really.

iOS 8 vs Android L will be what matters. Plain and simple...hell even the new chrome, updated with material design, running in the kit kat environment is incredibly smooth.

GummiBjorn

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
It's hilarious that milliseconds matter so much. I think we find the smallest little minutiae to jump on in these forums, both sides are guilty.

Look I saved up all these milliseconds on my smartphone, I added an extra 2 seconds to my life. :D

Smartass comment hehehe. It's not about adding seconds to your life, it's about a phone being fast when you need it to. ;)

For an example, far too many times have I missed capturing a moment with the Note camera because of lag, when I could have done so with an iPhone. Just one example. :)

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Smartass comment hehehe. It's not about adding seconds to your life, it's about a phone being fast when you need it to. ;)

For an example, far too many times have I missed capturing a moment with the Note camera because of lag, when I could have done so with an iPhone. Just one example. :)

Which Note?

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
The problem I have is not with app opening speed, but the amount of time the touchscreen goes unresponsive during and after animations. That's not milliseconds anymore. I really hope Apple addresses this, but I'm starting to lose hope.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I wouldn't judge on one first look test...other reviews have said it's lighting fast. So really you can only base it on your first experiences.

GummiBjorn

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
Which Note?

1, 2, and 3.

I wouldn't judge on one first look test...other reviews have said it's lighting fast. So really you can only base it on your first experiences.

I will of course test the Note 4 and the iPhone 6+ in store before I make my final decision. But I am leaning towards iPhone. Better optimization between software and hardware. Better apps.. nicer looking OS and a smoother experience. But it is quite worrying that the Note 4 Samsung has on display to promote their new flagship can't keep up with a 1 year old phone! Phones usually become slower with time so again the Note 4 should have had the advantage.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
1, 2, and 3.

I will of course test the Note 4 and the iPhone 6+ in store before I make my final decision. But I am leaning towards iPhone. Better optimization between software and hardware. Better apps.. nicer looking OS and a smoother experience. But it is quite worrying that the Note 4 Samsung has on display to promote their new flagship can't keep up with a 1 year old phone! Phones usually become slower with time so again the Note 4 should have had the advantage.
As I said too many factors could be the reason for that. My note 3 was faster than my friends 5s when we tested it so can't imagine Note 4 being slower.

I wouldn't take notice to one test like this. Can't see it mattering either way

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I want to know how people who obsess over speed were able to use any device prior to the most current if it matters? Ok say x phone is faster than y, yet y phone is obviously faster than some previous version/generation of a phone that was probably acceptable to whoever is complaining about milliseconds of lag on a newer/faster device

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I will give Apple credit in getting rid of that horrible camera animation and fixing shutter lag. Before iOS7, this was always something I hated and resorted to using 3 party apps which was a trade off, cause the default app seemed to take the best shots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.