Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

narfcrunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2014
I have a mac mini and a MBA and would like to know the best way to keep things in sync between the two. Currently I am using dropbox for my important files but if possible, I'd like the majority of their hard drives (they're the same size) to stay in sync with one another. What is the best way to do this?

Specs
2012 Mac mini 2.5 i5 with a 256gb SSD (for every day usage) and 500gb Apple HDD (for torrents)
2013 Macbook Air with a 256 SSD

I was thinking there could be a way to use OSX Server but I've never used it before and wouldn't want to buy it only to find there was a better way to do what I need to.

Thanks in advance!

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2007
What type of router do you have? If you have an Extreme, you could connect an external hdd to it and use it as a file server.

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
decimus synk is one commercial option, used that a lot to keep macbook and the mac pro in sync.

I'd just power the laptop up for 10 or 15 mins each morning before work and leave synk to automatically do its thing with any files I worked on using Mac Pro the evening before, back home at night fire up the laptop again and have it repeat the process to get the work done at work on the macbook onto the Pro

Its smart enough to only sync new or changed files so once you've let it chew thru a big sync future results are pretty quick

3 things Id suggest though before letting it loose on entire hard disks:

1 have a full back up of each system

2 create some test directories on each machine and make sure the results of syncs restricted to those test folders are exactly what you expect

3 once your comfortable with point 2 move onto letting it loose on some live folders for a week or so (Documents, downloads, pictures) Probably best to ignore video files if you can as they could take a whack of time transferring every morning

RCAFBrat

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2013
Montreal, QC
I'm looking into file sharing between a custom PC with Linux and my son's iMac. I came across ownCloud which supposedly features ability to sync files between different computers; they promote as a sort of Dropbox solution local to your home network.

I have no experience with it (the PC hasn't been built yet), but its my understanding that its free and it appears to be available in the app store for both iOS and OS X.

If you give it a try, I'd love to hear how well it works (or not).

Cheers

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Chronosync does bi-directional syncing, and can run automatically or manually. You could set it to sync as much as you like, upto the machine specific stuff.

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
Chronosync does bi-directional syncing, and can run automatically or manually. You could set it to sync as much as you like, upto the machine specific stuff.

i second this!

i use chrono to sync files over 4 machines and it works like a charm... you can even set it up to sync while you are away from home... a bit expensive, but IMHO worth it... (i have tried other sync utilities)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.