Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
EDIT: Reviving this thread for the iPhone 7 launch! Ask away!

I have been answering various Verizon questions that are strewn across this forum, so I thought I would make a thread for someone to ask a question and I'll answer it, just to help out the community. Obviously I will not disclose my position, but I am capable of providing fact driven answers to most questions! Also, if you have any Sprint related questions, I can help out as well.

Let's get started!

Last edited:

soboka

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
if I use an upgrade on a line, am I able to use an iPhone 6 on a different line and retain the unlimited data on said line? The lines are connected on a family plan.

mikeydooodie

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
i have an upgrade on NOT my line. if i sign in tomorrow through the website move the upgrade over to my line then can i pre order???

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
if I use an upgrade on a line, am I able to use an iPhone 6 on a different line and retain the unlimited data on said line? The lines are connected on a family plan.

As long as the line that has unlimited is not actually using an upgrade, you will keep the unlimited. If you do an alternate upgrade and switch the phone over, you're fine.

Illustration:

Family Plan: Line 1 - 2 - 3

Line 1 has unlimited

Line 2 does not and has an upgrade.

Use an alternate upgrade on Line 1 based on the eligibility of Line 2. Basically, (the computer does all this) it's upgrading Line 2 to the iPhone 6, then switching it to Line 1, then moving the old phone back onto Line 2.

iugradmark

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2011
New Customer

I will be a new customer to Verizon. Want to trade perfect condition Iphone 4 and sign up for 2 year program. Do I have to preorder through Verizon or can I do it through Apple?

Thank you

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
i have an upgrade on NOT my line. if i sign in tomorrow through the website move the upgrade over to my line then can i pre order???

I would call customer service. The pre order system is very different than before and no details have been discolosed. *611 from your Verizon phone then hit 0000000000000000 Until it says "Your call is being transferred"

kvasir

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
My contract ends on the 18th. Looking to preorder on the 12th, but will I actually be able to do it without moving my upgrade date? Date hasn't moved yet.

No one seems to be able to answer this question.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I'd like to get a Verizon 6 full price I don't have Verizon service. How can I buy one?

husker41

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
Unlimited Users

Here is a simple question. If I have an unlimited plan and I want to keep it, will I be able to preorder full price on the Verizon website? I

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
I will be a new customer to Verizon. Want to trade perfect condition Iphone 4 and sign up for 2 year program. Do I have to preorder through Verizon or can I do it through Apple?

Thank you

I would go through Verizon as a credit check will be performed. If you want to port your number, that is handled through Verizon as well.

----------

I'd like to get a Verizon 6 full price I don't have Verizon service. How can I buy one?

Go to a Verizon store on the 19th and ask if they are selling it outright. They probably will not for a while, though, but it's up to the store's discretion.

----------

Here is a simple question. If I have an unlimited plan and I want to keep it, will I be able to preorder full price on the Verizon website? I

It depends if they will allow it to be sold at full price. I would call CS - *611 from your Verizon phone to verify.

----------

My contract ends on the 18th. Looking to preorder on the 12th, but will I actually be able to do it without moving my upgrade date? Date hasn't moved yet.

No one seems to be able to answer this question.

No one can answer it because no one knows. They have not disclosed any information on the preordering system yet. I would call CS - *611 from you Verizon phone and ask.

soboka

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
As long as the line that has unlimited is not actually using an upgrade, you will keep the unlimited. If you do an alternate upgrade and switch the phone over, you're fine.

Illustration:

Family Plan: Line 1 - 2 - 3

Line 1 has unlimited

Line 2 does not and has an upgrade.

Use an alternate upgrade on Line 1 based on the eligibility of Line 2. Basically, (the computer does all this) it's upgrading Line 2 to the iPhone 6, then switching it to Line 1, then moving the old phone back onto Line 2.

Line 1 is an iPhone 4s on 3g, that doesn't matter right in terms of unlimited? going from 3g to LTE (or whatever's on the iPhone 6)?

kvasir

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
Okay. Could I just add a new line, swap phone numbers, and cancel my current line? Verizon sure makes this harder that it needs to be.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I have been answering various Verizon questions that are strewn across this forum, so I thought I would make a thread for someone to ask a question and I'll answer it, just to help out the community. Obviously I will not disclose my position, but I am capable of providing fact driven answers to most questions! Also, if you have any Sprint related questions, I can help out as well.

Let's get started!

Am I able to preorder on Apple.com if I'm on the Edge plan but not at the 50% payment point yet (but want to pay up to it)? Also, do you know if I'd be able to reserve one for in-store pickup through Apple.com when preorders start, or because I'm on Edge I'd have to actually go through Verizon.com or go to the store on launch day?

Thanks.

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Okay. Could I just add a new line, swap phone numbers, and cancel my current line? Verizon sure makes this harder that it needs to be.

You can add a line, then cancel your old line, but not swap phone numbers.

Yes, it will be a headache, because that is called "controllable churn" and it hurts the CS reps statistics.

mikeydooodie

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
I would call customer service. The pre order system is very different than before and no details have been discolosed. *611 from your Verizon phone then hit 0000000000000000 Until it says "Your call is being transferred"

they said just transfer the upgrade via verizon site then go on to pre order. hope it works

CKtoph

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
I have a 4 line, 10GB family plan. I'm wondering what the cost, and potential savings, would be if I purchased an iP6+, 128gb phone using Verizon Edge versus if I bought it at retail or if I purchased it subsidized by a 2 year contract.

My line is upgrade eligible.

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Am I able to preorder on Apple.com if I'm on the Edge plan but not at the 50% payment point yet (but want to pay up to it)? Also, do you know if I'd be able to reserve one for in-store pickup through Apple.com when preorders start, or because I'm on Edge I'd have to actually go through Verizon.com or go to the store on launch day?

Thanks.

I'm honestly not sure about that because they haven't discolosed any information on that yet. I would call CS - *611 from your Verizon phone and see if they know.

z06gal

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2011
I have a 5s on the Edge Plan and am interested to know how they handle upgrading to the 6? I know that what is equal to 12 months payments is expected but will they keep my 5s? Thanks for your help ;)

Edit: I see batting1000 and I are asking the same thing. Didn't see his till after posting

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
they said just transfer the upgrade via verizon site then go on to pre order. hope it works

Sounds like it will! If you have any trouble, call them back when you try and inform them you were told. They keep remarks on all calls made so it should be on your file.

lienhart

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
I'm going to pre-order the 4.7 iPhone and get it release day and see how I like it, then go into a store and see if I like the 5.5 better since I want those features. If I return it within the 14 days of getting it, will my upgrade reappear on my line again so I can buy the 5.5 subsidized? Also is there a return fee if I order from Verizon?

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
I have a 4 line, 10GB family plan. I'm wondering what the cost, and potential savings, would be if I purchased an iP6+, 128gb phone using Verizon Edge versus if I bought it at retail or if I purchased it subsidized by a 2 year contract.

My line is upgrade eligible.

Definitely more cost effective to use Edge. I'll break it down.

Also, keep in mind you get an extra 1GB shared on your plan if you upgrade by 9/30, so you'll have 11GB shared now until 2016.

The iP6+ is $499 on a 2 year contract and that puts your monthly access fee at $40 / month.

If you do Edge, you pay $47.50 / month for the phone, but only $15 for the access fee. You're paying $22.50 more over the course of 20 months for your line, which amounts to a total cost of $450. It's $50 less, plus if you don't Edge Up before the 20 months, your bill will go down by $47.50 once the payment plan is over. Also, you can upgrade after a year as well.

----------

LTE unlimited?

Yes.

----------

I'm going to pre-order the 4.7 iPhone and get it release day and see how I like it, then go into a store and see if I like the 5.5 better since I want those features. If I return it within the 14 days of getting it, will my upgrade reappear on my line again so I can buy the 5.5 subsidized? Also is there a return fee if I order from Verizon?

Yes, your upgrade will appear upon returning. Generally there is a $70 restocking fee on Apple products (minimum of $35). I do not believe Best Buy has restocking fees, though.

----------

I have a 5s on the Edge Plan and am interested to know how they handle upgrading to the 6? I know that what is equal to 12 months payments is expected but will they keep my 5s? Thanks for your help ;)

Edit: I see batting1000 and I are asking the same thing. Didn't see his till after posting

Yes, if you do the "Edge Up" option, you have to trade in your current phone. If you pay off the balance in full (not 50 / 60%), you can keep your phone, however. It may be more cost effective to take that approach.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.