Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
The pre-order thread seemed to talk a lot about Next programs and people who bought the 5S and are looking to upgrade. I purchased the iPhone 5 at release and was looking forward to pre-ordering the iPhone 6 this Friday. Earlier today I called AT&T to make sure everything was ready to go when I was told I wouldn't be eligible for the upgrade until October 5th. The only way I could upgrade would be to A) pay full price or B) start using NEXT. They refused to budge on the fact that I'd be upgrading two weeks early!!

To a customer experience minded person this makes no sense. I've been with the company as a loyal customer for 12 years and I plan on sticking with them and signing a new two year contract. All I'm looking for is to upgrade 2 weeks early! Didn't think that would be a difficult request. As I'm grandfather'd into the unlimited plan even the supervisor that I spoke with said I should just stick with what I have.

Of course, the easy solution is to wait until the 5th and get a phone then, but if the past is any indication shipping times and availability will slip and I may be looking at the end of October instead of the end of September for a new phone.

I explained to the rep that if they're not willing to let me upgrade two weeks early I'm going to pre-order on Friday with Verizon and leave AT&T. He seemed unfazed by losing a customer who has been loyal to the company for over a decade.

Questions are... IS there anyway around this in order to pre-order on Friday with AT&T? If not, what are the best Verizon plans? They're website seems absurd to pick a decent plan from and if they're wireless customer service is anything like their internet service, I don't think I'll be happy with them. But the phone is unlocked (assuming it will be like in the past) so that leaves me more options down the road.

Also thought it might be possible to pre-order through Verizon, try out their service for a few weeks, and if I'm not satisfied return the phone and upgrade on AT&T after October 5th.

Any input or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
M

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003
The pre-order thread seemed to talk a lot about Next programs and people who bought the 5S and are looking to upgrade. I purchased the iPhone 5 at release and was looking forward to pre-ordering the iPhone 6 this Friday. Earlier today I called AT&T to make sure everything was ready to go when I was told I wouldn't be eligible for the upgrade until October 5th. The only way I could upgrade would be to A) pay full price or B) start using NEXT. They refused to budge on the fact that I'd be upgrading two weeks early!!

To a customer experience minded person this makes no sense. I've been with the company as a loyal customer for 12 years and I plan on sticking with them and signing a new two year contract. All I'm looking for is to upgrade 2 weeks early! Didn't think that would be a difficult request. As I'm grandfather'd into the unlimited plan even the supervisor that I spoke with said I should just stick with what I have.

Of course, the easy solution is to wait until the 5th and get a phone then, but if the past is any indication shipping times and availability will slip and I may be looking at the end of October instead of the end of September for a new phone.

I explained to the rep that if they're not willing to let me upgrade two weeks early I'm going to pre-order on Friday with Verizon and leave AT&T. He seemed unfazed by losing a customer who has been loyal to the company for over a decade.

Questions are... IS there anyway around this in order to pre-order on Friday with AT&T? If not, what are the best Verizon plans? They're website seems absurd to pick a decent plan from and if they're wireless customer service is anything like their internet service, I don't think I'll be happy with them. But the phone is unlocked (assuming it will be like in the past) so that leaves me more options down the road.

Also thought it might be possible to pre-order through Verizon, try out their service for a few weeks, and if I'm not satisfied return the phone and upgrade on AT&T after October 5th.

Thank you
M

If you're on a grandfathered, unthrottled plan I say don't do it. Verizon is pretty expensive if you go heavy on data.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
They won't budge because they want to force them into Next plan which is a rip off so AT&T doesn't have to subsidize phones anymore. Just go to Verizon instead and pay the tiny ETF. You are still better off

nnacrumors

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2014
Questions are... IS there anyway around this in order to pre-order on Friday with AT&T?

No, you signed a 2-year contract and are not entitled to anything until the contract is fulfilled.

If not, what are the best Verizon plans?

IMO it's the $60 unlimited talk/text + 2gb.

Personally I'd simply wait the 2-weeks and not feel entitled to an early upgrade.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ

Thank you
M

Can't you do an early or partial upgrade, where you pay $200 less than full retail? This option should be available after you complete the first year of your 2 year contract.

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
Can't you do an early or partial upgrade, where you pay $200 less than full retail? This option should be available after you complete the first year of your 2 year contract.
I'm two weeks away from being able to do the early upgrade as I got one last year with the 5S. They wouldn't budge on that without me buying out the rest of my contract. I'm assuming the person in the chat didn't understand what I was asking for, he may have thought I was looking for a full subsidy. Being on an unlimited data plan didn't help my cause either lol.

When I got the survey text message I mentioned that I didn't like having to buy out my contract over 2 weeks and I got a text back stating I would get a phone call to talk about my comments. I ignored the call since I already decided to buy full price anyway instead of signing another contract and paying an upgrade fee

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
As I'm grandfather'd into the unlimited
M

I too am grandfathered into the unlimited plan and was not interested in NEXT but after careful consideration and running the numbers, it's a much better deal for me.

No $40 activation fee
$25 discount each month on plan
Ability to upgrade every 12 months with no hassle
We never used more than 6 GB combined
Only sales tax out of pocket when I buy this Friday.

Mac Wolf

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2014
Just threaten to walk. I've done it before and they always cave. They don't want to lose your business (unless what you're demanding is ridiculous). People need to stop letting phone companies bully them. Threaten to walk, and if that doesn't work, then *actually* walk.

Edit: Didn't read that you told them to walk.

Walk.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
They won't budge because they want to force them into Next plan which is a rip off so AT&T doesn't have to subsidize phones anymore. Just go to Verizon instead and pay the tiny ETF. You are still better off

So making you actually pay for a phone you're buying is a 'rip off'? I'm sure customers in other countries where they've had to do this for years are laughing at your sense of entitlement.

Paying the same fee for a line after you fulfilled the contract was actually a rip off.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Why would anyone pay $200 extra just for getting the iphone 2 weeks early?
Really?
What's really 2 weeks to wait?

OP, call again and hope you speak to a better and more helpful rep.
I doubt they will let you go if you're a 10 year customer with no issues paying your bills in the past. Its nothing for them to let you upgrade a few weeks early.
Ask to speak to the retention department if you don't get anywhere with customer support.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Carriers want unlimited data plans gone. I think they'll put as many roadblocks as possible to get you to switch to tiered data plans.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If they move it up for you, do they move it up for every single customer that wants it? Where do they draw the line? What happens if you're one day over the line is that fair?

No it's not fair if they do this case-by-case, so the best way to make no exceptions. What you're asking for isn't fair to them are a business either.

I've been a customer since the old AT&T Wireless (Blue) days, but I never feel entitled to anything.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
You gotta bring your own device to get that price or buy the phone full price without "edge" payments included in your monthly bill.
No, the $60 per month individual line includes subsidy. However, it's a limited time offer only and ends September 30, 2014. You have to order it from Verizon directly.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I think it depends on your account closing date. My contact ends the 15th, but my billing period began on about the 4th, and it immediately said on the 4th I was eligible for the 2 year upgrade.

You could buy a T-Mobile full price phone, and then sell the AT&T discounted one, once you can buy it on contract? Or can the T Mobile units not be used on AT&T?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I think it depends on your account closing date. My contact ends the 15th, but my billing period began on about the 4th, and it immediately said on the 4th I was eligible for the 2 year upgrade.

You could buy a T-Mobile full price phone, and then sell the AT&T discounted one, once you can buy it on contract? Or can the T Mobile units not be used on AT&T?

Yes, they can be used on AT&T.
The OP could buy one full price and then return it before the 2 week time period ends for a full refund and then get the subsidized one.

Dstopsie

macrumors 68010
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
Why would anyone pay $200 extra just for getting the iphone 2 weeks early?
Really?
What's really 2 weeks to wait?

OP, call again and hope you speak to a better and more helpful rep.
I doubt they will let you go if you're a 10 year customer with no issues paying your bills in the past. Its nothing for them to let you upgrade a few weeks early.
Ask to speak to the retention department if you don't get anywhere with customer support.

I called retention 2x

Wouldn't budge

I am a 17 year customer

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I would go into a corporate AT&T store. I can't imagine that they wouldn't make an exception, especially if you threaten to walk. Some of the phone reps aren't very flexible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.