Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's first iPhone 6 and 6 Plus shipments are already landing on U.S. soil, reports CCAonline (via iPhone in Canada). According to the report, the first cargo pallets have been transported to Chicago in two "special cargo" batches from Zhengzhou Xinzheng International Airport via China Southern Airlines.

china-southern.jpg
Shipping manifests show the cargo weighed a total of 93 tons and was broken into two parcels, one weighing 14.5 tons on September 6 and a second one weighing 78.5 tons on September 10. MacRumors had previously heard similar word that shipments would be beginning late last week as Apple begins staging units at central locations before distributing them around the country for launch.

As a very rough estimate based on the device weight supplied by Apple, these parcels could hold approximately 720,000 iPhone 6 units or 540,000 iPhone 6 Plus handsets. Apple is reportedly paying up to 200 million yuan for the freight in what may be a single-day shipment record for China Southern freight.

This shipment is one of many Apple has planned in the coming weeks with the company supposedly booking much of the available cargo shipping space coming out of China. Apple supposedly has a stranglehold on outgoing shipments, forcing some smaller manufacturers to delay the transport of their products out of the Asian country.

Article Link: First iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Shipments Reportedly Land on U.S. Soil

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
What would have been nice would be some iPhone 6 and especially 6+ models on display in Apple Stores today ahead of the preorder to give us the chance to really see the size differences.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
What would have been nice would be some iPhone 6 and especially 6+ models on display in Apple Stores today ahead of the preorder to give us the chance to really see the size differences.

Apple stores would be madhouses all day every day before the release.....

But I wouldn't mind checking them out myself.....though it takes away from the initial awe you feel when you first unbox the device.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB

Yes! Then we wouldn't have to make crude paper mockups to test in our pockets :D

SilianRail

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
As a very rough estimate based on the device weight supplied by Apple, these parcels could hold approximately 720,000 iPhone 6 units or 540,000 iPhone 6 Plus handsets.
Careful not to make any sharp turns: that cargo is worth $500 million.

skaeroastro

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2014
bot lane
Dude, that's not a cargo aircraft. That's a passenger-carrying A380. As far as I know, Airbus has not made a cargo variant of the A380 yet.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Apple stores would be madhouses all day every day before the release.....

But I wouldn't mind checking them out myself.....though it takes away from the initial awe you feel when you first unbox the device.

I'm sure that no one would buy some Beats headphones or anything else as a result of being in an Apple Store. All foot traffic is good as long as we're not talking about the running of the bulls.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Isn't this level of obsessiveness a little much? I mean, I get it when I've ordered one and I'm tracking MY new iPhone, but that's not what this is.

X-X

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014

Here's a printable mockup.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...cker-can-help-you-choose-the-right-size-model

One handed use is now impossible with 4.7 and 5.5 versions of the iPhone.

Because Apple iOS puts the main buttons like "back" and "close" always at the top of the screen, often on the left side - which is unreachable with the thumb.
The new iOS 8 feature where the screen content lowers (if you double tab the home button) is even more cumbersome.

Android has a huge plus in that regard because the back button is at the bottom of the screen - always reachable.

Apple has to change that in future iOS versions.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
I love that pic for the article. Makes me imagine each iPhone 6 having its own little window seat on the journey… :D

And each one wears its own Apple Watch, excited about the journey into the hands of a new American consumer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.