Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Especially agree with the bold.

http://www.android.gs/the-iphone-6-is-a-disappointment/
After months of rumors and leaks Apple finally introduced their new iPhones. Called iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, the two new iOS-powered smartphones are on par with any Android flagship smartphone. With any Android flagship smartphone launched two years ago.

I’ve watched the iPhone 6 launch event live (by the way, the live stream was a total failure) and I got bored to death. All I could think of was that, a year ago, Tim Cook said that big screens “are horrible.” Now the iPhone has a big screen and suddenly big screens aren’t “horrible” anymore. I also remembered about those ads about the iPhone fitting in your hand and Retina Display. I wonder what kind of ads they’ll make now.

In other words, the iPhone 6 has got a bigger screen, which isn’t necessarily bad. In fact it’s pretty cool to see Apple trying to catch up with Android smartphones. What bothers me is the resolution they chose for the new displays. The iPhone 6 sports a 4.7-inch screen with 750 x 1334 resolution, while the iPhone 6 Plus has a 5.5-inch screen with 1080 x 1920 resolution. While the main rivals of the iPhone 6 arrive with 1080p screens, the iPhone 6 Plus competitors (LG G3 and Note 4) have already made the jump to Quad HD (1440 x 2560) screens. The screen resolution and size of the iPhone 6 is comparable to the one of an Android flagship circa 2012.

Because we’re talking about a new iPhone, Apple had to introduce a new processor. Both the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus are underpinned by the new Apple A8 SoC “built on second-generation 64-bit desktop-class architecture.” Am I the only one here that is worried that the 64-bit processing means nothing with just 1 GB of RAM? Maybe not, but Apple and its fans are definitely not giving a crap as long as 64-bit is twice bigger than 32-bit. How do I know that the iPhone 6 only has 1 GB of RAM even though Apple didn’t reveal the amount of RAM inside its new smartphone? Because if there was an upgrade going on, Tim Cook would have screamed 2 GB of RAM so loud, that the fanboys queuing in front of the Apple Stores would have flinched.

Apple was bashed for not changing the design of their iPhone for years. The iPhone 5S looked exactly like the iPhone 5, which looked like a taller iPhone 4S, which looked exactly like the iPhone 4. Yes, this means that Apple’s 2013 flagship looked like a taller version of their 2010 flagship. Apple’s designers had a 3-year break, but now they’re back. The iPhone 6 design went through some changes, but, unfortunately, the company’s designers are severely lacking match practice. The Apple smartphones were famous for their elegance and their original design. Now they look like squashed HTCs. Not to mention about their size. The smaller iPhone 6 is similar in size with the LG G2, a smartphone that it’s rocking a 5.2-inch screen, while the iPhone 6 Plus is bigger than a Note 4, a device that has a 0.2-inch bigger screen. Hey, Apple, have you heard about thin bezels?

Apple introduced a new iSight camera that has an 8 MP sensor, too. Seriously, 8 megapixels? I know, some of you would say that megapixels aren’t that important. So does HTC, but their “UltraPixel” cameras have proved the contrary. Can the 8 MP iSight camera compete against Samsung’s and LG’s 16 and 13 MP shooters? Should I also mention about Sony’s 20.7 Exmor RS camera and Nokia’s insane PureView sensors? Why bother? Apple’s fans will still try to convince me that the iSight camera is the best. Apple, the Android mid-rangers called, they want their cameras back!

Apple was also proud to announce that the iPhone 6 arrives with… drum roll please… NFC. That’s pretty cool, Apple, we’ve had that on Android for more than two years. In fact, I am pretty happy that Apple has finally integrated NFC and the NFC payment system called Apple Pay. This way, the NFC payments will finally go mainstream as more banks, retailers, and companies will want to use it because it’s iPhone-compatible.

Apple announced the pricing for their new iPhone, too. The 4.7-inch iPhone 6 has a starting price of $199 with a two-year contract, while the cheapest iPhone 6 Plus starts at $299. The price is comparable to the one of their main rivals. Unfortunately, the hardware is comparable to the one of Android phones that are available between $300 – $350 off-contract.

Unfortunately, the new iPhones fail to impress on any level. They are a big upgrade for any iPhone user, but they are still trailing behind their Android counterparts. I’m not seeing the Android users mass migrate to Apple, but I am pretty sure that the iPhone will continue to lose market share. Personally, I am disappointed. Not because I considered switching to iOS, but because I wanted Apple to launch a product that forced the Android OEMs to step up their game. Apple has lost its wow factor and I wanted to be capable to end this post with “Your move, Android!” Unfortunately, I won’t.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
The one thing Apple has always had going for it is a very streamlined experience, regardless of specs.

Sadly, even that appears to not be the case anymore. Endlessly reloading apps/tabs, delays in touch response during/after animations... (easily addressable issues, if you ask me... so they just don't care?)

I want to like the iPhone 6, and in many ways I do, regardless of its faults. It's just hard to want to spend all that money on something that could be so much better.

It amazes me how much Android people spend analyzing the iPhone, even though they have no intention of ever buying said phone.

I think you'll find lots of tech people analyze all the flagship and new devices. That's part of it. Just because they have no intention of buying the current iPhone, doesn't mean that they haven't in the past and won't in the future.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
The one thing Apple has always had going for it is a very streamlined experience, regardless of specs.

Sadly, even that appears to not be the case anymore. Endlessly reloading apps/tabs, delays in touch response during/after animations... (easily addressable issues, if you ask me... so they just don't care?)

The fact that you joined MR in 2009 tells me you aren't just trolling around here.

I want to like the iPhone 6, and in many ways I do, regardless of its faults. It's just hard to want to spend all that money on something that could be so much better.

Yea I'm not trolling. I want Apple to still be considered set part from the competition in it's own way, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore with mobile devices.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Yea I'm not trolling. I want Apple to still be considered set part from the competition in it's own way, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore with mobile devices.

Well, I'll wait to get my iPhone 6 next Friday then compare it against my Android and Lumia phones (in particular the Lumia 1020 for pics).
I'll also see if RAM effects performance.
Right now, I think many of your concerns may be unwarranted, but I'll reserve judgment until next Friday.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

The title of the article and the fact that you bolded one simple statement that can be summed up as the writer is a giant troll is hilarious. Why not say something more rather than just agreeing with such a basic and seriously over-used statement?

Enjoy your Android, I'll enjoy my iPhone...do what you want in life.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Well, I'll wait to get my iPhone 6 next Friday then compare it against my Android and Lumia phones (in particular the Lumia 1020 for pics).
I'll also see if RAM effects performance.
Right now, I think many of your concerns may be unwarranted, but I'll reserve judgment until next Friday.

My concern is not that the iPhone will be a bad phone. If someone offered me one for cheap or free, I would jump at it. My concern is that the iPhone is basically becoming just another device and not the standard. I don't think iOS or Apple's name can keep the iPhone afloat as one of the top devices any longer, unless Apple starts making some drastic changes.

Wishing thinking, but I wouldn't mind seeing Apple come out with a complete new line of phone while still upgrading the iPhone.

Are you getting the 6 or 6+?

sparky08

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
It amazes me how much Android people spend analyzing the iPhone, even though they have no intention of ever buying said phone.

Android people aren't the only ones analyzing/dissing the iPhone 6. Just read the comments that were posted during Tuesday's event.

I left the iPhone last year, after waiting and waiting for the 'next great thing'. I really thought I would come back for the iPhone 6. But I don't see anything that would make me want to ditch my N5.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
The title of the article and the fact that you bolded one simple statement that can be summed up as the writer is a giant troll is hilarious. Why not say something more rather than just agreeing with such a basic and seriously over-used statement?

Enjoy your Android, I'll enjoy my iPhone...do what you want in life.

And these type of responses is exactly why I didn't post in the iPhone section. :rolleyes:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Sadly this thread will end only one way...:(

Probably, heh.

He misses a few points though.

- We got bigger screens, yes, but we also got new layouts for developers to work with those new screens. When the bigger Androids started coming out, like the Notes, they were treating them like as if they were like the bigger 7" tablets. I was looking at the Material Design guidelines earlier today, but it seems they're still not treating these phones any differently like they REALLY should be.

- We don't need more RAM, when some of these 2GB Samsungs are having lag issues when browsing, that's not because your Google Search is taking 2GB of RAM, it's because the engines and stuff behind that browser need to be improved. Better chips = Better efficiency, better code = Less lagging.

- iOS has new camera APIs. If you have better control of your camera to begin with, nothing else matters. And the biggest issue with Android is that the camera only works the best with the stock camera app.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada

There are people who are interested in technology and do analyse many phones even though they don't intend to buy all or most of them. It's like car enthusiasts who analyse new cars.

Anyway with regard to the new iPhone announcements, my mother-in-law was considering upgrading her iPhone in the summer. I told her to hold off until the new iPhone announcement. She may consider getting one of the new iPhones just announced.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
There are people who are interested in technology and do analyse many phones even though they don't intend to buy all or most of them. It's like car enthusiasts who analyse new cars.

Anyway with regard to the new iPhone announcements, my mother-in-law was considering upgrading her iPhone in the summer. I told her to hold off until the new iPhone announcement. She may consider getting one of the new iPhones just announced.

I was thinking about getting my mother the iPhone 6+. She currently uses the Note 2. Not sure if she will like that it's taller, so I would have to see it for myself. The thinness might outweigh the tallness.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
In the beginning there was Apple and then everyone else. Apple brought it and every tried to play catch up. Now it's not a matter of them bringing something to the table and other manufacturers take a step back in awe, those days are gone. It's about "what's new to iPhone".

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
In one way I do agree that the 6 models don't really have much of a wow factor. Because the hardware and OS updates mainly bring them in line with what has already been on offer for some time with Android phones.

On the other hand, the Plus might turn out to be the most elegant and slick phablet ever, with a truly outstanding camera too. If only the new app integration possibilities and 3d party keyboards (Swype) work well enough, I will now finally be able to buy an iPhone again (the 5 and 5s were totally uninteresting to me since I had by then discovered the 5.5" screen format). This is enough of a wow factor for me, even though that "wow" doesn't come from any new, surprising innovations.

The smaller 6 model is of course a bit more anonymous, with no OIS and a less sharp screen. Still though, the screen size bump to 4.7" may be a big thing to many iPhone users.

The spec comparisons I don't even bother with. I agree with what has been said in many other threads, that the hardware-software integration on iPhones is something completely incomparable to any Android phones. The spec numbers simply mean less when it comes to the iPhone so comparing stats on paper isn't really that meaningful.

Bottom line, I feel adequately impressed with the iPhone 6 (Plus, at least) to be very interested in buying one. I honestly can't think of anything more I wish it had.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
In the beginning there was Apple and then everyone else. Apple brought it and every tried to play catch up. Now it's not a matter of them bringing something to the table and other manufacturers take a step back in awe, those days are gone. It's about "what's new to iPhone".

But Apple is still acting like it's in a class by itself, those days are gone too and competition is fierce. It's obvious certain aspects of iPhone upgrades were basically forced cause of competition. Apple needs that magic back when they wanted to impress us, not just compete.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
In one way I do agree that the 6 models don't really have much of a wow factor. Because the hardware and OS updates mainly bring them in line with what has already been on offer for some time with Android phones.

On the other hand, the Plus might turn out to be the most elegant and slick phablet ever, with a truly outstanding camera too. If only the new app integration possibilities and 3d party keyboards (Swype) work well enough, I will now finally be able to buy an iPhone again (the 5 and 5s were totally uninteresting to me since I had by then discovered the 5.5" screen format). This is enough of a wow factor for me, even though that "wow" doesn't come from any new, surprising innovations.

The smaller 6 model is of course a bit more anonymous, with no OIS and a less sharp screen. Still though, the screen size bump to 4.7" may be a big thing to many iPhone users.

The spec comparisons I don't even bother with. I agree with what has been said in many other threads, that the hardware-software integration on iPhones is something completely incomparable to any Android phones. The spec numbers simply mean less when it comes to the iPhone so comparing stats on paper isn't really that meaningful.

Bottom line, I feel adequately impressed with the iPhone 6 (Plus, at least) to be very interested in buying one. I honestly can't think of anything more I wish it had.

That right there is the rub. Was the 6 or 6+ innovative or revolutionary? No. What smartphone is these days. In a mature market, each OEM is trying to make as complete an offering as possible.

IMO, the 6 and 6+ (combined with the 5C, 5S and iOS 8) are the most complete offerings out there. I had a wish list of 4 things I wanted after the 5S came out. I'm getting all 4 with the new iPhones and iOS.

Gotta say - "wowed"? No. Extremely happy and content. Yes.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I'm going to try to order one tomorrow morning (3:01 AM EST) and really hope it up to par with other flagship devices.

I'm hoping Apple does well and each brand steps up competition--cause we all know competition is good.;)

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'm going to try to order one tomorrow morning (3:01 AM EST) and really hope it up to par with other flagship devices.

I'm hoping Apple does well and each brand steps up competition--cause we all know competition is good.;)

I am doing the same.....pre-ordering the IP6 4.7 64GB tonight.
Lets hope battery life will be good on the IP6. My 5s struggles to last all day.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
But Apple is still acting like it's in a class by itself, those days are gone too and competition is fierce. It's obvious certain aspects of iPhone upgrades were basically forced cause of competition. Apple needs that magic back when they wanted to impress us, not just compete.

There is a level of arrogance and narcissism in Apples top tier that will always be there. Shiller claiming the 1080p 6+ screen in the best that's out there was evidence of that. But then again they're salesman, what do you expect them to say.

I honestly don't think they need anything back, they have a loyal following that will by their product regardless of what they put out.

----------

That right there is the rub. Was the 6 or 6+ innovative or revolutionary? No. What smartphone is these days.

What Moto did with the X last year with active notifications, always on listening, ect was probably the most innovation I've seen in one smartphone in a long time. If the camera didn't suck and they weren't in a financial heap it could have been one of those that shook the industry.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

They ARE in a class by themselves.

No other smartphone can match the iPhone in terms of popularity and sales. Many have tried and they've all failed. Quarter after quarter, year after year, the iPhone (whichever is the newest one) is ALWAYS the best selling smartphone in the world.

That would give me cause to be arrogant if I were them. And really, they are the only game in town if you prefer iOS. So from that standpoint there is no competition.

Some people put OS lower than other metrics, but a good amount of people don't. If you prefer Android, you aren't buying an iPhone anyhow. If you're an iOS person, all these things that Android "has had for years" (which I completely disagree with - implementation is a HUGE component of a feature) don't matter because a phone with iOS didn't have them.

These aren't apples to apples comparisons or competitions.

----------

There is a level of arrogance and narcissism in Apples top tier that will always be there. Shiller claiming the 1080p 6+ screen in the best that's out there was evidence of that. But then again they're salesman, what do you expect them to say.

I honestly don't think they need anything back, they have a loyal following that will by their product regardless of what they put out.

Resolution isn't everything. Apple has long had top-of-the-line displays based on a slew of quality metrics even with the lower resolutions....

It's entirely possible the 6 and 6+ displays could top the list, despite being lower res.

And again, I think it's less about sheepism (not that you said it, but you sort of allude to it) and more about being the only game in town with iOS. May sound crazy to some but there are lots of us who simply like iOS better. If that's the case, you will obviously buy whatever iPhone is released.

What Moto did with the X last year with active notifications, always on listening, ect was probably the most innovation I've seen in one smartphone in a long time. If the camera didn't suck and they weren't in a financial heap it could have been one of those that shook the industry.

Don't forget - battery life is bad too.....

Ya, I don't know that I know exactly what Active Notifications is so I won't comment on it. The always listening part is neat I guess. Do we think Apple wouldn't have done "Hey Siri" if Moto hadn't pushed them?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009

I know my personal experience is barely any indication, but almost all my family, co-workers, friends, and just people I see on a regular basis seem to be moving the opposite direction. Loyalty is never a given.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
My concern is not that the iPhone will be a bad phone. If someone offered me one for cheap or free, I would jump at it. My concern is that the iPhone is basically becoming just another device and not the standard. I don't think iOS or Apple's name can keep the iPhone afloat as one of the top devices any longer, unless Apple starts making some drastic changes.

Wishing thinking, but I wouldn't mind seeing Apple come out with a complete new line of phone while still upgrading the iPhone.

Are you getting the 6 or 6+?
Def going with the 6. I printed off the PDF that gives you dimensions of the phones and as you can see below, the iPhone is almost identical in length/width to the Nexus 5 (which is as big of a phone as I can go and handle with one hand.)
The 6+ is friggin humongous. Way, way, way to big for anything I want to carry around.
I've already got my order in with the local T-Mobile store for a 64gb Space Gray iPhone 6. (Helps to know the guys that work there.)

Attachments

• IMG_20140910_120057456_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20140910_120057456_HDR~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20140910_120413346_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20140910_120413346_HDR~2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 162
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.