Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After purchasing an iPhone 6 or an iPhone 6 Plus, many upgraders will be left with old iPhones or Android phones that can be worth quite a bit of money. There are several options for trading in old devices that can significantly cut down on the cost of purchasing a new device, and most of the trade-in options are entirely hassle free. Some carriers are even offering trade-in bonuses in order to entice users to upgrade to an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus.

Verizon, for example, is offering a $200 trade-in gift card for an iPhone 4, 4s, 5, or 5c (or a $300 gift card for an iPhone 5s) with the purchase of a new iPhone 6 or 6 Plus on a new Verizon Edge agreement, on a two year contract, or with an outright non-discounted purchase.

T-Mobile has guaranteed the best trade-in values on used devices, promising to meet the best trade-in prices of other major carriers. If a customer finds a better trade-in price than what T-Mobile is offering, T-Mobile will meet the price and pay an additional $50.

tmobiletradein.jpg

Sprint has also offered to match the trade-in policies of other carriers, and will beat buyback pricing on trade-ins for new lines of service. Under the terms of the new trade-in policy, Sprint is offering up to $300 for older devices towards a new iPhone purchase.

Like other carriers, AT&T is planning to offer up to $300 to customers trading in an old device to purchase a new iPhone 6. AT&T is also offering a $100 credit for customers that add a new line to their Next accounts.

Apple has an in-store trade-in program and an online program, with the online trade-in program offering up to $310 for a 32GB iPhone 5s in good condition. Apple's in-store program offers an immediate gift card for an old device that can be put towards the purchase of a new device.

Retailers like Target and Best Buy also have trade-in programs. Best Buy currently offers $310 for a 32GB iPhone 5s in good working condition, while Target offers $247.50 for the same device.

Along with immediate trade-ins from carrier stores, Apple retail locations, and electronic retailers, there are also countless vendors that accept trade-ins via mail. Popular trade-in site Gazelle, for example, is offering $275 for a locked 32GB iPhone 5s in "flawless" condition, or $300 for the same phone unlocked.

Amazon has a trade-in program that often offers some of the best trade-in values, but maximum value comes from accepting an Amazon gift card rather than cash. The company offers up to $347.50 for a 32GB iPhone 5s from AT&T, or up to $400 for an unlocked version of the same phone.

amazontradein.jpg

Apple's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus will be available for pre-order tonight at 12:01 AM PT. Prices for the smaller 4.7-inch iPhone 6 begin at $199 with a two year contract, while prices for the larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus begin at $299 on contract.

Article Link: Trade-In Options for iPhone 6 Buyers With Old Devices

Last edited:

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.
Except T-Mobile has really been quiet about how and when they will take pre-orders and be able to process trade-in offers.

It is very frustrating they are waiting until the last seconds to explain the process.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I usually sell my phone one eBay a week prior, but this cycle I didn't. I might take advantage of the Amazon or ATT trade-ins. Way too many stories of eBay users refuting charges and saying they never received the phone after it was sold to them and shipped.

ILMSTMF

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2009
How to trade in old phone to Verizon?

Can anyone provide details as to how I trade in my 4S for the free 6 to Verizon? I want to pre-order online and am hoping that I can just mail VZW my 4S. Thanks in advance.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I usually sell my phone one eBay a week prior, but this cycle I didn't. I might take advantage of the Amazon or ATT trade-ins. Way too many stories of eBay users refuting charges and saying they never received the phone after it was sold to them and shipped.

I've had good luck with craigslist in the past. Sold a couple of 3GS, a 4, a 4S, and a 5. Got $475 for the 5 (32GB) last October.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Okay, once an additional 50 million iPhone 4S and 5 are available on the used market by the end of this quarter, what happens to the low end android market? Is even 50 million too small a number? Or will this really ding the guys out there trying to sell the $200 handsets?

I've got a 5 with a busted power button that might need a home come October. I wonder what it will go for on Ebay.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Wonder if a 4s with a broken power button and cracked rear glass would qualify as "good working condition". I'd love to get a 199 credit for that but it has been through war (toddler twins).

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Would love to be able to trade in my 5 at Apple for a store credit, but no solutions between the 12th and 19th =/

Nope, this is the iPhone 4/4S(FaceTime camera beside receiver)

vs

"Phone-in-the-middle"

It's just a 5 poorly edited - looking smaller.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
sketchy details on these programs are possibly hurting them.

For example: Can I preorder through Apple and still take advantage of the VZW promotion? Nobody really knows yet.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Amazon main trade-in shows ship within 45 days but when I submit mine it says I need to ship it by 9/17. Is this a mistake?

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I went with the Amazon trade-in because the price was so much better than elsewhere, but the status has been in "Processing..." for a few days now. :(

I did notice their trade-in price for an unlocked iPhone 5 64GB is $100 less today than it was last Thursday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.