Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Most people that are getting the plus did you previously own a 32gb or 64gb to justify paying the extra?

I settled on the 6 which I believe is £10 cheaper in the uk was than the 5s but still £40 more than it was a few years back.

Most I see go for the plus 64gb which is almost £700 or something which seems very expensive if going sim free.

haticK

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2011
New York
I went from 32gb 4S to 64gb 6 Plus. I planned on getting the bigger one since there were rumors of a bigger size as long as it was only $100 more.

d0r1en0

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2010
San Diego
ATT Next for my wife and I. With the way they do their phone plans now, it's actually cheaper to go that route wether we upgrade after 12 months, or keep and pay the full price of the phones over the 20 payments.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I had 64GB 5, now I'm getting 64 GB 6+. It's only $100 more and I'm paying via Edge. Now if I could just get my email confirmation........ :rolleyes:

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
It really is only $100 more... I bought a 64GB iPhone Plus in gold outright through Verizon so I can keep my unlimited dat plan. $849 plus tax... It's not cheap by any means.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
Like others, I got a job.

Also have a little more than 10k shares of AAPL, bought at 117 before the split. That helps :)

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
Get a CS/IT related job.. lol. As a DBA only two years out of school I just dropped $1,100 on my 128GB iPhone 6+ with an Apple leather case and I'll barely feel it (if at all). Not one to brag, but you asked? ;)

Joe HS

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
United Kingdom
What the hell sort of question is this? "how do you afford"

I'll tell you how... NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!

Seriously, some of the people on this forum.

Heaven forbid people ask questions related to the purchasing of Apple devices on an Apple forum. The cheek of it!
You don't have to answer but it was a perfectly reasonable question for lots of people so you don't need to be rude.

Note: I'm not buying the Plus but I am paying for a 64 GB storage update. i've been putting money aside for the start of university and I've been on a 4S since they came out so it's kind of a priority now. That was 16 GB and it really wasn't enough space so I've got little choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Personally, when I come to buying a new phone, I just save till I have enough and keep my current one. I only got the 16Gb because my old phone was so damaged and I was paying so much on O2 Simplicity with my older iPhone that it was cheaper to just spend what I had partially saved for the 64Gb model on the 16Gb one instead. I'd happily stay on a now far more affordable unlimited text/minutes and limited data plan with my iPhone 5 indefinitely till I can afford to buy a 128Gb iPhone upfront than get tied into an expensive 2 year contract.

I don't think buying an expensive phone is at all about the means, it's about patience. If you're foaming at the mouth for a new phone the day of release, that's your problem. Wait a while and you get what you want. You could even get a better one if it takes so long to save, next years' model is out and then those people with expensive 2 year payment plans for their iPhone 6 contract phones will still be on a hefty monthly tariff while you own the latest model outright.

Applefan4

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
Both myself and my girlfriend have reasonably well paying jobs and don't waste money on going out, partying etc The 6+ at full price is a relatively minor strain on our budget.

Gryfter

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
while I, myself can afford the phone fine and will be paying it in full by the second month because of that bs AT&T Next, dropping close to $1,000 for a phone, albeit a portable computer/phablet device is still a lot of money...

A LOT of people struggle with getting by these days; living from pay check to pay check... just because you are rich/wealthy/born with a damn silver spoon up your ass dont give you the right to brag and make the ones less fortunate feel like ****...

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
while I, myself can afford the phone fine and will be paying it in full by the second month because of that bs AT&T Next, dropping close to $1,000 for a phone, albeit a portable computer/phablet device is still a lot of money...

A LOT of people struggle with getting by these days; living from pay check to pay check... just because you are rich/wealthy/born with a damn silver spoon up your ass dont give you the right to brag and make the ones less fortunate feel like ****...

I get what you're saying. MacRumors has a lot of "elitism" of sorts here. I personally can afford a 64GB Plus as well, but I'm definitely not gloating nor will I say that it was cheap at all: it wasn't. It will have a dent of course, because this one price is almost as much as rent in a lot of places.

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
Personally I applied for a new credit card with 0 APR for 15 months. With this I don't need to drop almost 1k at a time, and I can build my credit as well. I got the 6 plus 64gb and have to admit it's very expensive at $916 after tax. But hell it's my first ever iphone so screw it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.