Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mirzank

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
whats the deal with buying an unlocked iphone 6 from the apple site? In canada you could always buy unlocked iphones starting day of the preorders. is it not the same for the US? I'm no longer in Canada so would like to order from apple.com but I want an unlocked contract free phone only.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
whats the deal with buying an unlocked iphone 6 from the apple site? In canada you could always buy unlocked iphones starting day of the preorders. is it not the same for the US? I'm no longer in Canada so would like to order from apple.com but I want an unlocked contract free phone only.

You can get the T-Mobile version it is unlocked if you purchase it from Apple website. Make sure you take out T-Mobile SIMcard and restore it after you get the phone. It'll show it's unlocked.

Note that if you get the T-Mobile iPhone 6 or 6+ at T-Mobile stores, it will be LOCKED even if you pay full price.

Note that only AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon customers need to actually enter their mobile account information to purchase.

mirzank

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
You can get the T-Mobile version it is unlocked if you purchase it from Apple website. Make sure you take out T-Mobile SIMcard and restore it after you get the phone. It'll show it's unlocked.

Note that if you get the T-Mobile iPhone 6 or 6+ at T-Mobile stores, it will be LOCKED even if you pay full price.

Note that only AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon customers need to actually enter their mobile account information to purchase.

thanks! thats awesome! someone else though told me unlocked iphones are only available a month or two after the general release. i guess i'll risk the t-mobile phone since i mainly need to use this outside the US.

what about the bands of the phone? If i remember correctly the 4/4s had different vzw/at&t and t-mobile iphones due to the different bands. has this been overcome now? do the recent iphones have all bands for all local and international usage?

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
thanks! thats awesome! someone else though told me unlocked iphones are only available a month or two after the general release. i guess i'll risk the t-mobile phone since i mainly need to use this outside the US.

what about the bands of the phone? If i remember correctly the 4/4s had different vzw/at&t and t-mobile iphones due to the different bands. has this been overcome now? do the recent iphones have all bands for all local and international usage?

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

They have the same band but the Verizon model supports CDMA. If you're just using it overseas getting the T-Mobile version is sufficient as most countries uses GSM.

The only unique model is the Sprint one but you shouldn't buy that because Sprint is a jackass and won't unlock their phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.