Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As part of its iPhone 6 and Apple Watch announcement, Apple featured U2's latest "Songs of Innocence" album, making it the company's biggest album release ever by providing the title to 500 million iTunes customers for free. The album and its lead single "The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)" are the cornerstone of an upcoming marketing campaign by Apple that is worth an estimated $100 million, although the deal has received some criticism from users who do not wish to have the album added to their iTunes accounts and in some cases automatically downloaded to their devices.

But the deal is a significant one by any measure, and Billboard Magazine sat down with U2's new manager Guy Oseary to talk about the deal and the band's future plans with the Cupertino company.

cook_u2.jpg
In the Billboard interview, Oseary shot down criticism that the deal was disruptive to the music industry and detrimental to other artists, arguing that the release is a "big concept" and should serve to inspire other musicians to innovate in their own way.
Well first of all, when music becomes a piece of the conversation at an Apple event, that's always a good thing. Two is, the power of music and the fact that it can actually be shared with 7 percent of the planet in one push of a button. That's a pretty big concept. Any sort of innovation may inspire other people to do things that are innovative. We may see someone sitting with another manager, or another band going, "Hey, what can we do that's interesting maybe with our lyrics or our videos or something interactive with the ticketing to our shows?"
Oseary also confirmed that the Apple-U2 deal is a "long-term relationship", with the parties working together to promote innovation in music.
We're working on other things as well with Apple that have to do with how music is heard and innovation, with [iTunes VP of content] Robert Kondrk leading that charge. There's a lot of things still to come that are really interesting. The band really wants people to engage with albums, they want them to support the art form of artwork and lyrics and video content and just get into their music in a much different way than an MP3 file.
Focusing on the deal itself, Oseary stopped short of confirming that Jimmy Iovine played a role in negotiating the deal, saying only that the Beats co-founder and now Apple employee has long been "a source of support and guidance" for the band. Given Apple's long-standing interest in music and its dominant position that has been threatened in recent years by subscription services, Iovine has been viewed as a key reason for the Apple-Beats deal for his extensive relationships within the music industry.

Article Link: U2 Manager Discusses $100M 'Songs of Innocence' Marketing Deal and Future Plans With Apple

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Yep it's selling so well that they had to force Apple users to have the album on iTunes even if we didn't like it or want it. Really, on my Purchased Songs Apple? :rolleyes:

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
The deal is fine. Apple should have just set the album to "Free" on the store and let everyone download it as they pleased rather than putting it in "Purchased", which had a lot of undesirable ramifications.

My guess is that they won't do that again.

Harrycooke

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
London
Considering 99% of customers are complaining about having U2's album put on their iTunes and iPhones, I don't think they should be discussing future plans of any kind.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
They should've made it so you could download any album you wanted on iTunes. We all have different taste in music.. :(

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
I deleted the album the moment it showed up on my iPhone.

That said, I'm wondering how this will factor into its "sales". Will it chart on Billboard? How will Soundscan deal with this release?

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Over at Salon.com, you would expect that U2 was slaughtering new born babies by the vociferous negative outcry...

I guess it's like The Eagles for some people. I guess someone can draw their own interpretations, but I like both the Eagles, and U2. Well, most of their work. I was surprised to see that 'album' waiting for download. It's not to bad either...

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Considering 99% of customers are complaining about having U2's album put on their iTunes and iPhones, I don't think they should be discussing future plans of any kind.

Wrong - please keep those deals coming - however, they need to make one big change: make it a 'free' purchase, don't force feed it to people that don't want it. (I was happy with it, others are not).

BTW: I don't think 99% is the right number - it's just those that like it are not screaming all over the internet about it (they listen to that album instead)

noekozz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
212/201
Agreed, let the customer choose if they want to download the album or not. It's sort of being forced on the customer, which could bother some, not me specifically. I'm sure U2 doesn't mind though, as they're smiling all the way to the bank.

I wish we knew more of the details regarding that deal, no way would Apple just give that money to a band without getting something back in return, and I'm pretty sure U2 was not needed to boost Apple sales.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Was I the only one who giggled when Tim and Bono did the bizarre countdown thing? Yeah… okay, I thought so. I'll sip my kool-aid quietly in the corner.

The deal is fine. Apple should have just set the album to "Free" on the store and let everyone download it as they pleased rather than putting it in "Purchased", which had a lot of undesirable ramifications.

My guess is that they won't do that again.

Yeah, that was a small pain in the ass.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
I like the album myself, I think it's their best in a long, long time.

However it must be insanely annoying having an album you don't own or intend on owning by a band you don't like showing up in your iTunes library 24/7.

They should have set it out in a similar manner to how they market/distribute the Free Song of the Week. Market the living unicorns out of it in terms of TV ads and front page coverage in the store, but forcing it down people's throats is just too much.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Regarding the discussion around the ramifications of this deal on how the album will chart, awards, and so forth - if you convinced a company to cut you a check for $100 million dollars up front for your work, would you really care about those things?

U2 has already won. Every artist should be very envious.

chrisvanhorn

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Kalamazoo, MI
This deal sucked, and was surprisingly very unlike Apple. Forcing a bands product onto millions of customers at once without their choice? I know a ton of my friends have posted negative tweets or updates about it, and they think "U2 hacked their phone." Bad idea.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
**** U2 (no pun), such a joke. What were they thinking of forcing that album in our purchased list.

Edit:

I know a lot of people are thinking ''why are you complaining about getting something for free''
I understand that, but if I don't want it, even for free, don't give it to me. Set it up as free on iTunes, and if I reconsider, I'll download it. Don't put it in my iCloud, or iPad without my asking. Thats whats so annoying about it. It's like the worst spam, which I didn't expect from Apple.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.