Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surfer13134

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
Anyone try walking into a target store to pre order?

I did, I was the first one in line. I got a 25 dollar gift card. They said they will send an email when the store gets the phones and I will call to make an apt to get the phone.

I asked if we would be guaranteed to get them Friday,he said he couldn't say but he said that target did have the 5S on release day and target order 3x the amount of the phones they did last year. Don't know how true it is but hopefully it is.

Kealohilani

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I had considered this but is seems like every year there are a lot of posts where people say they were first (or within the first few) preorders and then Target doesn't get the phone to cover their preorder for months. I didn't like the idea of driving all the way there to preorder and then launch day come and nothing.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
I had considered this but is seems like every year there are a lot of posts where people say they were first (or within the first few) preorders and then Target doesn't get the phone to cover their preorder for months. I didn't like the idea of driving all the way there to preorder and then launch day come and nothing.

Yup, I see threads complaining about Target every year. I'm in Canada so they're not an option anyway, but even if they were I don't think I'd trust them.

Kealohilani

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Yup, I see threads complaining about Target every year. I'm in Canada so they're not an option anyway, but even if they were I don't think I'd trust them.

Definitely not. If I were one of those "I'll get it when I get it" people maybe a would go to Target. Unfortunately I am highly impatient and want my new toy right away. This next week is going to take forever.

Markiie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Los Angeles, California.
So the order process at Target is weird. As surfer mentioned you put down 25 bucks and they will let you know WHEN they have a shipment. Sounds fishy to me.

Surfer13134

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
Yep,but that is the only place I could pre order since I slept though my alarm :/

I have confidence in them though,they did have stock of the 5s in when everyone else was sold out. Fingers crossed they will have them.

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
So the order process at Target is weird. As surfer mentioned you put down 25 bucks and they will let you know WHEN they have a shipment. Sounds fishy to me.

I tried it out with Target. The guy was very confident they would have 6+ on Friday.Worst case I have a target gift card.

rwkleinjr

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010

Yeah that's odd. I doubt they have any idea what they're actually going to be getting as well. I'm tempted to try it out because I doubt many people have preordered at the Target by my house, but I can't see them getting many 6+ units whatsoever. If they even do.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
**** didn't even think of target

I did that last year and got my phone on launch day a t 7am. No issues at all, but the key is to be the first or near the top of the line since you never know how many phones the individual stores will receive.

Worked out fine for me last year, but I only did that because I couldn't preorder the 5s.

N e e k

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2011
Yeah that's odd. I doubt they have any idea what they're actually going to be getting as well. I'm tempted to try it out because I doubt many people have preordered at the Target by my house, but I can't see them getting many 6+ units whatsoever. If they even do.

Just pre-ordered at Target. Absolutely no-one in store. Asked how many pre-orders there were so far - I was the second one. Hopefully they pull through. I say it's worth a shot. He said they should get them on launch day.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

don't be so sure.

Check it out and if you are the first to "preorder". If you are then you will have a great chance at getting what you want.

rwkleinjr

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
Just pre-ordered at Target. Absolutely no-one in store. Asked how many pre-orders there were so far - I was the second one. Hopefully they pull through. I say it's worth a shot. He said they should get them on launch day.

Check it out and if you are the first to "preorder". If you are then you will have a great chance at getting what you want.

This is a potentially genius move, thanks guys. This Target is on the outskirts of a town that has an Apple Store, and several AT&T Stores... hopefully nobody else has thought of going there.

rwkleinjr

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
If i "preorder" at target, am I technically signing a new contract? Or is it simply spending $25 to be notified when stock arrives?

N e e k

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2011
If i "preorder" at target, am I technically signing a new contract? Or is it simply spending $25 to be notified when stock arrives?

You don't have to buy the phone there - you're buying the $25 gift card as essentially a down-payment towards the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.