Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dxm765

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Hello everyone! i browsed around and didnt find the answers i was looking for and didnt want to revive a dead thread.

I am planning on purchasing a Mac pro 4,1 (2009) with dual quad cores. It is coming stock with a ATi RADEON HD4870 512Mb....that simply doesnt cut it for me. i have a GTX680 2GB laying around and read i can flash the rom to make it a Mac-able card....

The GTX680 has a 8 pin +6 pin...How can i power the 8 +6 or do i only need to power it with 2 6pins?

Any suggestions would be nice, i would of gotten a newer Mac...but my budget doesnt allow for it.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
My advice, send to to MVC to be modified. He is a member of this forum and also has an eBay store.

Lou

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Hello everyone! i browsed around and didnt find the answers i was looking for and didnt want to revive a dead thread.

I am planning on purchasing a Mac pro 4,1 (2009) with dual quad cores. It is coming stock with a ATi RADEON HD4870 512Mb....that simply doesnt cut it for me. i have a GTX680 2GB laying around and read i can flash the rom to make it a Mac-able card....

The GTX680 has a 8 pin +6 pin...How can i power the 8 +6 or do i only need to power it with 2 6pins?

Any suggestions would be nice, i would of gotten a newer Mac...but my budget doesnt allow for it.

Like what Flowrider suggested, have the 680gtx modified by MVCards to make it Mac version. Though as far as I know, 680gtx only come with 2 six pin power cables. Only the 700 series have an 8 pin and 6 pin.

dxm765

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Well with all the respect for MVC does anyone have some contact info for this gentleman?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^I just tried it - Worked for me. Anyway, his forum name is MacVidCards.

Lou

dxm765

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
don't worry about this.

Some Nvidia cards (GTX680 4GB and GTX760) have an 8 pin plug but it is "optional"

Just plug in a 6 pin and forget about it.

I am not sure if my Mac i purchased is coming with the required 6 pin adaptor, can you recommend one?

And i did not see an option to message you, even though i have verified my account can you please send me a message.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
He's saying you don't need an adapter. Just plug the six pin cable into the 8 pin connector. However, if you want a boot screen you'll need it to be flashed.

Lou

dxm765

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
I read on another thread there's a mini PCI express connector on the motherboard that I need to plug into to get the extra power, unless I am mistaken and that is a different model... Sorry for any confusion I may have caused, this is a whole new world for me trying to customize a Mac I don't have in my hands until Thursday. Just trying to get my ducks in a row :)

Last edited:

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
I read on another thread there's a mini PCI express connector on the motherboard that I need to plug into to get the extra power, unless I am mistaken and that is a different model... Sorry for any confusion I may have caused, this is a whole new world for me trying to customize a Mac I don't have in my hands until Thursday. Just trying to get my ducks in a row :)

No worries. You can plug the 2 6 pin cables on the 2 power connector located at the lower left side, near the pcie fan. Check the one labeled "C" ,where you will connect the power cables.

3096992_orig.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.