Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Charingx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Getting one of the remaining open box iPod Classics. (I have a long list of reasons. I can't be convinced to run out and get the 128 GB iPhone or whittle down my music library or learn to love the music interface on a Touch.)

At any rate, I was wondering if any insiders would have an idea of how Applecare would work in a year's time. Do you reckon that the stock of Classics will be totally depleted by then and that they would simply offer a store credit?

repentix

macrumors regular
May 26, 2013
Getting one of the remaining open box iPod Classics. (I have a long list of reasons. I can't be convinced to run out and get the 128 GB iPhone or whittle down my music library or learn to love the music interface on a Touch.)

At any rate, I was wondering if any insiders would have an idea of how Applecare would work in a year's time. Do you reckon that the stock of Classics will be totally depleted by then and that they would simply offer a store credit?

I don't think so, they will always try to replace the parts inside of the classic before they even think about replacement ipods. I don't know if they also offer the policy of you being able to have a bring in a broken ipod and replace it under the apple care warranty like with the iphone for a fee of 50 Euro for the classic.
Apple always keeps a stock of used/new ipods for replacement.

Charingx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Thanks! In the end I just went with Squaretrade. Before Applecare+, I always got Applecare, as my iPods and headphones rarely lasted two years. Seeing as there is uncertainty with the supply chain, I just went with a cheaper warranty.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'm betting the reason they're pulling all the iPod refurbished and store stock is to deal with all the people who will need AppleCare replacements. And when those are expended, the repaired iPod classics that people took in for service.

I think there will be stock for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.