Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmillar74

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
Livonia, Michigan
After downloading and printing out the drawings, I immediately knew the 4.7 would be better. In addition, the last few days I've been paying closer attention to my one-handed texting and phone operating habits. It was astonishing to learn how much functionality I would be giving up going all the way up to 5.5. 4.7 is a comfortable jump while still having one handed functionality. Everyone keeps thinking about how it will fit into pockets. What about one handed operation?? Does it matter to anyone?

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
Only time I see myself needing to text on handed is while driving (which I never do for obvious reasons). Not too worried.

Kealohilani

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Even with the 5 and the 5s I always texted using 2 hands. It's just faster for me that way. So no I'm not worried about that.

dmillar74

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
Livonia, Michigan
I was all on board for the 6+ until I just paid attention to my one handed operating habits. I guess I never really thought about it until I was paying closer attention to how I used my phone. Maybe it is me, but I would be severely changing my phone habits with the 5.5

InternetDude08

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2009
I did the cardboard cutout thing and that's how I realized just how big the 6+ is. I actually do use my phone one-handed so I got the 6. Tapatalk = one handed most of the time. Texting = one-handed most of the time, etc.

I also discovered the 6+ doesn't fit in my car's cupholder so that doesn't help either.

Last edited:

tigerfan41

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Much faster to text two handed. I've done that on every iPhone I've owned, and every other phone, too.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
An average adult thumb is 2 inches from V to the tip of the finger. If you look at the keyboard layout, you'll find that it's about 2 inches from the right side of the phone to the 1, Q, A, and Z keys. All of the others are redundant on the right side, so if it's typing that's the concern, there's no concern for the average adult. There's a shift key on the right if you need it.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
See, my thing is my usage habits can be tailored to the device. Yeah, I do use one hand a lot now. But if I have a bigger phone, all it will take is for me to adjust my usage to using two hands instead. Then I also can take advantage of the bigger screen and all the other goodies. It seems backwards to not go for what's probably the "better" product because of a preference that can be changed.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
It's funny how everyone here was making fun of the 5.5 android phones and now everyone is getting a 6+.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I did the cardboard cutout thing too. I discovered that I can still drive with both hands on the steering wheel while the cat texts with both paws from the passenger seat.

BJabs

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Evidently everyone in this thread never has only one hand available to use their phone. Aight

-Knight-

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Miami, FL
For myself, I think i need to get the 5.5 and just try it out. I've been so sick of the small screen on the iphone for a long time now so I want to get the 5.5 and get it out of my system lol. If it's too big then i can go back to the 4.7 without ever wondering if I should of gotten the bigger screen.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
It's funny how everyone here was making fun of the 5.5 android phones and now everyone is getting a 6+.

Neither statement is accurate. Lots of people here OWN Android phones and lots of people are getting a 6 or aren't upgrading at all.

There is always a contingent that criticize everything Apple chooses not to do. There's another contingent that criticizes everything they choose to do. There's still another that assumes their preferences are universal and Apple should build the products they want despite it being painfully clear they'd never sell.

In short there's a wide variety of opinion. There's no everyone here.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
Honestly, the 5.5" is ridiculous for a PHONE but many, like me, use it less as a phone and more as a mobile computer where it makes more sense.

MichaelWR90

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
The 6 Plus will help me stop texting and driving.. I can't complain. It's saving my life! +++ Apple!

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
My only one-handed texts are "ok" and the like. I think I can still manage that on the 6+. Anything longer and I use both hands/thumbs in landscape already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.