Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davemark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2012
United Kingdom
I been wanting a new iMac since 12 and just recently i have ordered a new 2014 model :) with the following specification

27"
• 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
• 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X8GB
• 3TB Fusion Drive
• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5

Cant wait for it to arrive :)

I do a lot of photo editing and my old windows pc was just getting far to sluggish :) this hopefully will be a good 5 year investment :)

DaveMark

7oost

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
Nice one!

I'am planning to buy the same configuration (only the Fusion drive will be SSD) but I have 1 question that keeps me from buying one. How likely is it that Apple will upgrade the iMac in October? Should I wait or,...? Did you had the same doubt?

davemark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2012
United Kingdom
Nice one!

I'am planning to buy the same configuration (only the Fusion drive will be SSD) but I have 1 question that keeps me from buying one. How likely is it that Apple will upgrade the iMac in October? Should I wait or,...? Did you had the same doubt?

I was thinking that after i ordered it but tbh i lived with a old samsung monitor and a dated windows desktop for so long this new mac is gonna fly and even if a better one comes out a even more better one will come out a year later .. i would be forever changing i see this mac lasting me 5 years before need of an update :)

DooDuh

macrumors member
May 1, 2014
Nice one!

Me too! I've been waiting all summer to buy a new 27"... but, i think I can last a few more weeks until I see what Apple offers next month.

Last edited:

Kjos

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2013
Nice man!

You got the same one as me, but I just did the 2GB of video memory, but with the 4GB your going to be blasting through any graphical situation out there!

I hope you love it as much as I love mine!

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Nice machine! I am sure you will enjoy it for a long time. You will be able to do some real quick work with that machine.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I been wanting a new iMac since 12 and just recently i have ordered a new 2014 model :) with the following specification

27"
• 3TB Fusion Drive

I do a lot of photo editing and my old windows pc was just getting far to sluggish :) this hopefully will be a good 5 year investment :)

DaveMark

Welcome to the bright side :)

I've got the same one, except that I ordered it with 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD, and then popped in 32GB aftermarket RAM myself.

It sails through 4K editing smoothly and quietly.

7oost

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
Hey guys!

Good to hear that this machine will run smoothly! Since were speaking of this kinda specced machine (i5, 4gb Videocard and 512 SSD) I'm wondering the next question. How does it handle gaming? Im not playing heavy shooters or so, but I do play a little starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. Is this acceptable?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hey guys!

Good to hear that this machine will run smoothly! Since were speaking of this kinda specced machine (i5, 4gb Videocard and 512 SSD) I'm wondering the next question. How does it handle gaming? Im not playing heavy shooters or so, but I do play a little starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. Is this acceptable?

I have the GTX 780M and play BF4 at ultra settings, and can get over 60 fps.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
So what is your experience?

It's been a while since I played around with BF4 on my iMac. At 1920x1080 it's possible to hit 60fps (not solidly - but part of that is game coding). But you'll need to play with settings to see what works best for you.

Now, Diablo III, I play it often. Mostly stable 60fps is doable at 2560x1440 in Boot Camp. OS X Yosemite's performance in D3 is greatly improved over Mavericks, fyi. I would always reboot to Window 7 to play, but since Yosemite I no longer do this.

Bear in mind that D3 is not a 100% smooth game on any system out there due to some peculiar bugs with the game itself. At times, even on a top-of-the-line iMac framerates can drop literally into the <10fps in certain areas, but this isn't too common, thankfully, and is nothing to do with the iMac itself.

7oost

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
It's been a while since I played around with BF4 on my iMac. At 1920x1080 it's possible to hit 60fps (not solidly - but part of that is game coding). But you'll need to play with settings to see what works best for you.

Now, Diablo III, I play it often. Mostly stable 60fps is doable at 2560x1440 in Boot Camp. OS X Yosemite's performance in D3 is greatly improved over Mavericks, fyi. I would always reboot to Window 7 to play, but since Yosemite I no longer do this.

Bear in mind that D3 is not a 100% smooth game on any system out there due to some peculiar bugs with the game itself. At times, even on a top-of-the-line iMac framerates can drop literally into the <10fps in certain areas, but this isn't too common, thankfully, and is nothing to do with the iMac itself.

Thanks William! I know the situation playing D3, on my gaming system right now, which is a pretty heavy machine, I do get framedrops as well. I can live with that. But i would be realy nice if I can play D3 just in mavericks/Yosemite and not have to switch to Bootcamp. Good to know that the iMac will handle these kinda games though! You can never test these kinda things in a shop or something :/

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA
Congrats!

Been holding out myself for a long time now. Still running on an 7 year old 24" 2.8Ghz model with 4GB ram. The time has come to upgrade, but I'm waiting till it ships with Yosemite installed as I figured what the heck, I've waited this long, LOL.

Have fun with it!

voyager1

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2014
Magic mouse

recently bought my first mac-imac 27,8gb ram,512gb ssd, gt 755m, i would like help on two simple points. the magic mouse seems fine but there is very slight movement maybe less than 1mm on the upper shell is that normal?

finally for multitasking spotify/multiple web tabs, word ,powerpoint, etc is 8gb enough. i have checked with the activity monitor and understanding how mavericks works seem to be in my limits.

alksion

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Going to be delivered tomorrow :)

I have the exact same setup but with a 512GB SSD. It was very expensive, but I love it to death and would buy it all over again.

This machine is a beast and I will use it for years to come. I hope you enjoy yours in the same way.

macs4nw

macrumors 601

27"
• 3TB Fusion Drive

DaveMark

Congrats. A great machine that you will love, especially with the 780 graphics, and Fusion drive. (Not that it diminishes the machine, or to rain on your parade, but for accuracy's sake, that is a Sep 2013 unit, which is still current at the moment).

You may want to consider investing in an Uninterruptible Power Supply, or UPS. The lower end models can be had for as little as ~$50, and could be saving your bacon one day. If you require longer runtimes, or want to hook up more peripherals, they tend to become bulkier and pricier though.

Enjoy your new iMac!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.