Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanJoshMass

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
Title basically explains it. I had MS Office for Mac 2009 on my old Macbook and didn't like it that much. I'm now using OpenOffice on my new MBP and not liking that too much either. What do you guys recommend? I ABSOLUTELY NEED to be able to open .doc and/or .docx files AND save documents as .doc/.docx as well. I student teach at a school that uses Windows computers with MS Office and have to be able to share documents between my MBP and their computers.

If you guys know any good PowerPoint-type apps that can open/share .ppt files, that'd be good to know as well.

EDIT: Free apps would be best but I am willing to pay for an app if it's worth it.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Use MS Office. If you do not like Word you are basically screwed. You can use Apple Pages but I like MS Word better. For powerpoint use powerpoint or you can use Apple Keynote that is great as long you do not need to share with everyone even it can export into powerpoint.

If for typing you want something free and good, you can use Google Drive, Goggle has many office like applications for free that you can use online, share them and export them at no additional cost.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
doc/docx

LibreOffice can read and write almost any document type, incl. docx.
It's free and has more components than Office.
Your choice.
;JOOP!

1k9

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2014
If you work at a school, you should be able to get ms office very inexpensive or free.

exegete77

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
LibreOffice can open .doc and .docx files, and can save in either format. The major problem I have found with that option is that tables tend not to do well in the transition. Workable, but not exact. I keep it because some send files in .odt.

I also have Nisus Writer Pro which can open, but basic format is .rtf.

And because I teach at a seminary I needed some exact formatting for student papers, I purchased MS Office 2011 (at the time it was %99). My least favorite program, but...

If I could get everyone to use it, Mellel is my top choice (language ability [specifically Hebrew and right-left languages], structure, Autotitles, etc.( But I realize it is not practical. I can dream can’t I?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.