Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
February is going to be good month. I turn 20 next week, my MBP ships the following week, and a Music event after that.

Bring on some new gadgets Apple! I'd personally love a wireless speaker system!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Well it's a pretty safe bet that SOMETHING else is coming after MacWorld. New Shuffles, Red iPod, and new iTunes partnerships or services seem likely. So do the rumored non-iPod DLDs--the Mighty Boombox or whatever. So do Core Solo Macs, but not at a music-focussed event. Unless there's a new HT model (not, of course, replacing the low-end Mini) and it's a "media" focussed event in general. Sounds like a long shot to me though.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
New iPod to replace the superscratchy nano and the shuffle at the same time. Small with an OLED screen like the Sony E400/500.

Leoff

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2004
Oh come on, people... READ.

The rumor (and I stress "rumor") is that it's an iTunes MUSIC event. Those of you wanting DVR and Mac Tablets and radical new iPods, you're going to be big-time dissapointed.

My guesses (or dreams):

1) New iTunes music stores for other countries.

2) Some sort of new "streaming" Podcast or concert by some big-name music group.

3) POSSIBLE announcement of the Shuffle's demise and a 1 Gig iPod nano appearing (but I doubt it).

4) A formerly hard-to-get artist now releasing their catalogue in iTunes. POSSIBLY the Beatles, but again, I doubt it.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Leoff said:
The rumor (and I stress "rumor") is that it's an iTunes MUSIC event. Those of you wanting DVR and Mac Tablets and radical new iPods, you're going to be big-time dissapointed.

It seems to me that a revamped Intel Mini as home media center would qualify as a "music event." Especially if iTunes were seriously revised to serve as the center of the home media hub. Right now, it's a real pain to use a mac as a home media center. For example, if I buy iTunes music on one computer, it's hard to get it on my media center computer. The same applies for other media -- it's a mess. If Steve can apply his "easy to use" philosophy to this -- and throw in a DVR to boot -- I'm probably buying.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
themacman said:
the real apple itunes phone. dubbed the iphone or a better version of ROKR and SLVR

That would be good, or a video ipod with wireless access to the music store!:D

raster

macrumors regular
May 15, 2005
West
Private event Feb 4th

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but The New York Soho store is closing early Saturday Feb 4th for "a private event" ???

Maybe just a party...

al3000

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2005
England
It would be great if they announced some shows on iTunes for the UK. If they did it would finally convince me to get an iPod!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
What comes after "nano"? Easy. It's "pico" maybe we will get a "Pico Pod"?

In theory how small could you make a 512MB mp3 player? At some point it becomes so small you lose it or need tweezers to handle it. I think if they put the whole Nano functionality inside the new FM radio/remte control's form factor they would have a real winner. One other idea is to put the mp3 player inside the earbuds and do away with the little box all together.

So, there are many ways to replace a shuffle other then with a crippled nano. I doubt they would discontinue the shuffle without having a replacement that is better I'll bet it's a "pico" or whatever they decide to call it.

NEENAHBOY

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
Arlington, VA
Leoff said:
4) A formerly hard-to-get artist now releasing their catalogue in iTunes. POSSIBLY the Beatles, but again, I doubt it.

Considering that Apple Records is currently involved in litigation with Apple Computer, consider that the longest of long shots.

It would be nice, though, if Steve could announce a settlement of this lawsuit sometime soon. Wasn't there a trial date set for June, IIRC?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
NEENAHBOY said:
Considering that Apple Records is currently involved in litigation with Apple Computer, consider that the longest of long shots.

It would be nice, though, if Steve could announce a settlement of this lawsuit sometime soon. Wasn't there a trial date set for June, IIRC?
If they make progress on a settlement, I think it will very likely leak, or be announced by someone else, before Apple can make an announcement, especially at a scheduled "event" by prior invitation.

Unlike the secrecy Apple likes to have with its own products, Apple Computer probably can't keep a lid on the Apple-Apple lawsuit because of the many other interested parties involved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.