Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
it would be cool but highly doubtful. The battery sizes and times indicate 1gb of ram.

One thing that people fail to grasp is that Apple creates the hardware and the software to work together for maximum performance. Other phone companies make a phone then use someone else's software inside of it. This makes the need for more ram a much bigger deal. With Apple they control everything so its easier to optimize.

So as an example my nexus 7 has 2gb of ram and applications reload and crash just as often as my iPhone. Would 2gb help in the iPhone? Yes but for the cost of battery life. You can please some people some of the time...

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I'm still scratching my head on why it will ship with 1 gig if the reports are true. People have mentioned that it doesn't really matter how much RAM is in it if the user experience isn't affected and that is true. But my iPad Air is affected by the amount of RAM and with the extraordinary profit margins they have on these phones it wouldn't hurt that much to bump the RAM they put in them.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
it would be cool but highly doubtful. The battery sizes and times indicate 1gb of ram.

One thing that people fail to grasp is that Apple creates the hardware and the software to work together for maximum performance. Other phone companies make a phone then use someone else's software inside of it. This makes the need for more ram a much bigger deal. With Apple they control everything so its easier to optimize.

So as an example my nexus 7 has 2gb of ram and applications reload and crash just as often as my iPhone. Would 2gb help in the iPhone? Yes but for the cost of battery life. You can please some people some of the time...

Software/hardware integration is certainly a benefit Apple has, but it's not the magic bullet some people seem to think it is. That 1GB is being stretched incredibly thin even with Apple's tight integration.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Software/hardware integration is certainly a benefit Apple has, but it's not the magic bullet some people seem to think it is. That 1GB is being stretched incredibly thin even with Apple's tight integration.

I agree it is but that 1gb stretches a lot longer than other devices. Don't get me wrong I think they should have moved up BUT I also see the issues with moving up (i.e. battery drain)

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013

Couldn't agree more. 1gb of RAM is stretching it (especially on 64-bit devices).

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I agree it is but that 1gb stretches a lot longer than other devices. Don't get me wrong I think they should have moved up BUT I also see the issues with moving up (i.e. battery drain)

I'd be willing to bet the processing time it takes to constantly reload apps and tabs is using a lot more power than the idle state of an extra 1GB RAM.

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013

Please, what battery drain :eek:

Android devices with 2-3 gb of RAM don't have disastrous battery life. It is comparable (or for some devices better) to iphone 5s. And with iPhone 6 getting a bigger battery it's even more ridiculous, especially with iPhone 6+, which has a 2900+ mAh battery.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

I also have both a Nexus 7 and an iPhone, and while I love them both, I would actually say that I experience fewer crashes and generally somewhat smoother performance on the iPhone even though the Nexus has 2 GB of RAM and a quad core processor. Yeah, more RAM would be nice, but it really does seem like Apple does as much with 1 GB of RAM as other devices do with 2 or more.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I also have both a Nexus 7 and an iPhone, and while I love them both, I would actually say that I experience fewer crashes and generally somewhat smoother performance on the iPhone even though the Nexus has 2 GB of RAM and a quad core processor. Yeah, more RAM would be nice, but it really does seem like Apple does as much with 1 GB of RAM as other devices do with 2 or more.

I don't disagree with any of this. But just think what Apple could do with even more memory!

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013

So you're fine with your iPhone crashing as much as an ANDROID phone??:confused:

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
The iPhone 6 has 1gb RAM. The iPhone 6+ has 2gb. There is no 'what if' scenario.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
So you're fine with your iPhone crashing as much as an ANDROID phone??:confused:

Well, the Nexus 7 is a tablet, not a phone, but more to the point, apps very rarely crash on my Nexus. They crash even less frequently on my phone. I'm basically comparing a device that runs without issue 95% of the time to one that does so 99%.

Contrary to what many people who reside entirely in Apple's ecosystem have been led to believe, Android devices are not all buggy, unstable messes. :rolleyes:

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011

I agree. I have a Nexus 5 and often the third most recently used app and later will have to refresh. Chrome will have to refresh constantly even if there are only 2 tabs.

But still, how other devices perform isn't reason for Apple to do only 1GB. If Apple is doing good things with 1GB, they could be doing great things with 2GB.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I don't disagree with any of this. But just think what Apple could do with even more memory!

I hear what you're saying. I certainly wouldn't say no to more RAM. I just think that the people who want about how unacceptable 1 GB is are just hung up on a number and let it bias their perception of the user experience. A lot of these people would probably believe that their phones perform better if someone just said it had more RAM.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Contrary to what many people who reside entirely in Apple's ecosystem have been led to believe, Android devices are not all buggy, unstable messes. :rolleyes:

I disagree. I've been on Android exclusively for the past 2 years and after using my friends iPhone 5's and 5s's, the lag on my Nexus 5 is unnoticeable now.

----------

I hear what you're saying. I certainly wouldn't say no to more RAM. I just think that the people who want about how unacceptable 1 GB is are just hung up on a number and let it bias their perception of the user experience. A lot of these people would probably believe that their phones perform better if someone just said it had more RAM.
Haha so true. Go look up some of Jimmy Kimmel's videos ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.